Great value, beautiful car, but still has "GM-ness"
By nick7302 on
2010 Chevrolet Malibu LTZ 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 6A)
We bought our Malibu in August of 2010. It is January 2011 now and we've already got near 12k miles. LTZ is very sharp looking, the features are great, and a strong value for the dollar. Still, not perfect: Gas mileage is rated 22/33--we average 24-26 on mostly rural and secondary/suburban roads, which is less than I'd expect. We did have the airbag light come on around 9k miles and we had to take it in to the dealer to have a sensor replaced. There are other signs of old GM here...if you press the overhead light or sunroof buttons the headliner flexes quite a bit. Rubber trim around sunroof looks sloppy. Transmission hunts and engine can be buzzy during warm up.
Favorite Features
In LTZ trim, I still think this is the classiest looking car in it's class. Almost Germanic. Sonata, Optima, Mazda6 are more sharp now, but may not age as well. Bluetooth, Onstar navigation, heated seats, leather, and more all come standard with LTZ. Only option we got was a sunroof. Very low maintenance schedule...practically nothing but oil changes for the first 50k. Timing Chain, not belt. Ecotec is buzzy but (supposedly) durable. Good size, 5-star crash ratings all around. Manual shift feature. Nice ride and handling mix, in my opinion.
Suggested Improvements
Although panel gaps are uniform and thin, doors close with a solid thunk, etc., there are still signs of a lapse in build quality (see aforementioned headliner flex and messy trim lining around sunroof). Also some plastics and materials used are still a bit cheap, although overall interior design is sharp. Transmission can sometimes seem confused. Trunk opening is pathetically small--very hard to get a stroller in there, and that's important for a family sedan. GM--please post realistic EPA figures. I used to always get highway figures on my route; now I'm barely beating city with this car. Most of all, I hope the car proves to not require more unplanned maintenance or dealer visit