2009 Chevrolet Malibu Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Malibu model:
I'd Buy One Again in a Second!
By David T. on 08/15/09 17:23 PM (PDT)

2009 Chevrolet Malibu Sedan LT1 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

I replaced an old Jeep Cherokee with the Malibu because I needed something with more room and much better gas mileage. I don't regret it for a minute. It drives so much better than the Honda Accord and Hyundai Sonatas that I test drove. The interior is vault-like quiet, the 2.4 with the 6 speed transmission has plenty of power. The quality feel of the switch gear is first rate! I've been getting 22 mpg in town and between 31-35 on the highway depending on conditions and speed. So what's not to like? I love the looks of this car (LT1), but when I bought this, there was no aluminum wheel option. I understand there is now.

Couldn't be happier
By p&dflorida on 08/15/09 09:22 AM (PDT)

2009 Chevrolet Malibu Sedan LS 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

This is the second Malibu we have purchased and we are as happy with this one as previous. Quiet ride with exceptional interior room. Love all the aspects of the car. Have not had any problems with it.

2009 Malibu 2LT 4 cyl
By Al Kraig on 08/09/09 09:04 AM (PDT)

2009 Chevrolet Malibu Sedan LT2 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

Excellent Car. Rides and handles well. Fuel economy exceeds EPA estimates. It gets an honest 36 mpg on the open road and has an overall average (50/50 city/highway) of 29.5. It is exceedingly quiet from both road and wind noise. Minor gripes are: trunk opening size and no seat height adjustment on passenger seat. Prospective buyers for Camrys and Accords are well advised to drive the Malibu.

6 times in Shop
By Lee G-Mansfield-OH on 07/31/09 19:57 PM (PDT)

2009 Chevrolet Malibu Sedan LT1 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

I have been stranded when vehicle quit w/o warning 4x and acted up 6x. It is going to shop again tomorrow for the 6x. They have replaced wiring harnesses, computer, fuel press. Gauge, engine oil pan, engine cam & actuator valves, air intake assemble, ecm replaced. Car literally lunged forward one night when I was in driveway. Luckily I had my foot on brake or it would of went through my garage door. More problems than the car is worth. Loved it when it runs, but I drive 90 mi. Rt a day and I am getting real tired of all the break- downs! No Wonder gm is going down! Would never buy another gm again. Wife bought used 06 Toyota rav month before and no problems with it. Go figure!

Great little car
By donald Nickeson on 07/24/09 14:38 PM (PDT)

2009 Chevrolet Malibu Sedan LS 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

I like all aspects of this car, mileage ,comfort,quality,reliability instrumentation,etc.

Upgrade to the 6 speed
By Kula Jon on 07/23/09 21:15 PM (PDT)

2009 Chevrolet Malibu Sedan LT1 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

I bought the LS1 version but if I had to do it again (and had more money to spend!) I would buy the 6 speed. The 4 speed is adequate but I think the 6 speed might be peppier. Carefully check your fit and finish. I've discovered that my passenger door isn't properly aligned and that my folding rear seats don't latch properly. All in all it's a pretty smooth riding car and adequate for the usual day to day driving. I wouldn't want to take it on an extended journey though. Maybe the LTX model is more comfy?

Deceiving
By nick2343 on 07/21/09 21:05 PM (PDT)

2009 Chevrolet Malibu Sedan LT2 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

This car is very deceiving. You might read great reviews on this car, but in reality I own this car and I would take back the purchase in a second. I understand where the "Great" reviews come from, but after owning this car after 4 months, it breaks down so quickly. My friend also owns this car and he told me his front console is vert lose and shakey and that his front seat ripped. The SAME exact thing happened to me and my mother. We are also are not happy with the leather/suede in this car. The suede wears down so quickly and stains very easily. The audio system loses its frequency often causing way too often static and loss of the channel. There is an up to this car, the trunk is big!

Thrilled with this car
By JWR on 07/15/09 22:19 PM (PDT)

2009 Chevrolet Malibu Sedan LT2 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

I am absolutely thrilled with this car inside and outside! The first thing I noticed was how nicely finished the car is from the outside and how quiet it is on the inside. Having grown up with Corvette's, I opted for the V6 engine, which is plenty of power. Actually, my previous car had 200 horsepower and this is 252. I owned 1997 and 2004 Monte Carlo's and put 100,000 on each without requiring repairs prior to turning them in. Chevy certainly did their homework with this car! It's first rate! My father owns a DTS and always buys Cadillacs, but he thinks this car is fantastic as well.

Holy Cow, What a car
By Dan on 07/15/09 21:42 PM (PDT)

2009 Chevrolet Malibu Sedan LT1 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

My early impressions of our 09 Malibu is very, very positive. Not only does the 4 cylinder do a good job at pulling this car, it gets very good gas mileage (26 city and 35 highway). Yes there are a couple of "blind spots", however, they're not severe enough to detract from the overall look, inside and out. Plus, the dealership I bought from came up with an aftermarket "SS KIT" and installed it on our car. The kit includes ground effects all the way around, a non working 2nd tailpipe with chrome tip, rear deck spoiler, extra dark tinted windows, and the all important (SS emblem on both front doors and on the trunk. These few cosmetic additions makes it look like a european sports sedan. WOW!

Great Value!
By P. Kirk on 07/13/09 13:28 PM (PDT)

2009 Chevrolet Malibu Sedan LTZ 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

I do not trade cars that often, and I buy new cars only. Even though I really wanted a Cadillac CTS (could not justify the cost), the Malibu has proven to be a nice surprise! The exterior looks are great. Most people are surprised it is a Chevy. The handling and acceleration are good (I got the 6-cyl. LTZ). Gas mileage for my mostly town-driving is 22-23. We got 28-30 on a recent short trip, however, with the A/C on! The interior is comfortable, but I do not like the plastic door panels. Love the On- Star, XM, Blue-tooth and information center. Friends who are on their second Camry rode in the Malibu and could not believe how nice it was!

TCO® insurance data for this vehicle coming soon...

For an accurate quote, contact our trusted partner below.