Used 2009 Chevrolet Malibu Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2009 Chevrolet Malibu - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Malibu model:

Quality of the rims
By Brenda

2009 Chevrolet Malibu LS 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

I purchased my car in April 2009. Since that time I've needed to buy rims twice. I'm not a wild and crazy driver. I travel normal roads with plenty of other cars traveling the same. I have an older Malibu and loved it completely. This one the quality of the rims is a real turn-off. I find it impossible to believe my car is the only car that has problems with flimsy rims. I really hope others will comment so I can see if its an isolated problem or one others just have taken in stride.

On-star, the Sirius radio

Make rims that can handle city and expressway driving. I'm not driving back roads or aiming at potholes. Driving right along with everyone else.

Good and Bad
By KMH

2009 Chevrolet Malibu LTZ 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

The car has a strong engine and looks great in the metallic red color. Satellite radio is great also At 11,000 miles central steering linkage needed to be replaced-disappointing. Overall the car is a 7. It still does not measure up in quality to foreign offerings although they have slipped in quality and GM is finally moving in the right direction.

Dash, color, engine power (V6), satellite radio

The interior is still very cheap plastic. There is no padding on the door arm rests. Larger cup holders in the front would be great. Turn signal marker on the mirrors. No rear center arm rest. Suspension still needs tuning. Front seat padding needs improvement.

Not 'all that'
By Jamie

2009 Chevrolet Malibu LT1 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

I was dazzled by the shiny wheel covers when the salesman whipped it around the lot, and was tired of shopping for cars so I decided to buy it. The performance is okay, and as stated before,the car is nice to look at, the factory stereo sounds okay, and the car is a smooth ride. I had heard about the cheap plastic on the interior, but didn't realize how CHEAP it is. It scratches very easily. Also, the front window scratches easily too. The right front headlamp gets condensation behind the lens, and there is a rattle in the dash that happens when the gas is applied. The windows are too 'skinny', reducing visibility greatly. Yes, the trunk opening is too small. Paint is blotchy in spots.

My favorite features are the stereo sound,and the onstar is convenient. I like the 'info' button on the steering wheel.

Engine is loud, trunk is narrow,fuel efficiency is not as advertised. This car is still, sadly, obviously American made, despite attempts to improve quality. I am going to trade it in a couple of years, and will not get another Chevrolet.

Great Buy
By kycutie

2009 Chevrolet Malibu LT2 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

Had my Malibu for 2 months now. Love the interior and leaving in the snowlands have had wonderful experience with the handling in bad weather. I have no trouble with visibility at all and think this car is a GREAT buy for the money !

interior, body shaping, bluetooth from car (use alot while driving) dash info center

move the truck door button to more hidden location.

Much Better. Now refine it!
By Richard G

2009 Chevrolet Malibu LTZ 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

I purchased the 6 cylinder LTZ version of the Malibu and was impressed with its styling, quality, and the price. GM has finally built a car that is on par if not better than its Asian competitors. Remember I said a car and that's the Chevy Malibu. Fortunately for GM Toyota beat itself which only leaves Honda and Hyundai to contend with. The Malibu is quick and dangerous off the line which great horsepower and nerve racking torque steer and wheel spin. Horsepower and front wheel drive system are not good bedfellows. The interior quality is good and the exterior design is very good but could use some tweaks. The engine is quiet but does groan nicely. Overall I recommend this car.

Onstar, well worth the fee for peace of mind. Radio is good. Engine. Exterior design esp with Red paint. Price with rebates. Horsepower.

Torque steer. Xm radio not worth it. Tighten gaps around hood. Cup holders are practically useless cramped in console. Trunk opening too narrow. Gas mileage well below EPA. Almost as bad as my Dodge Durango. Refine drive train and engine for smoother acceleration. Dealers need improvement.