Used 2009 Chevrolet Malibu Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2009 Chevrolet Malibu - Consumer Reviews

2009 Chevrolet Malibu Sedan

View reviews for a specific Malibu model:

Not very satisfied
By mjenkins

2009 Chevrolet Malibu Sedan LS 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

I purchased my Malibu brand new in 03/09 and I have had numerous problems. I am so tired of this car and wish I wouldn't have purchased it. It's only nice looking. I have had to have new brake pads, door replaced, battery, and now it's in the shop because the entire dashboard shut down and it's jerking continuously. I can't even drive my car. I will NEVER purchase another Chevy!

Favorite Features

Satellite Radio,Indigo lighting at night

Suggested Improvements

A car that does not have to be repaired EVERY month!

Chevy hits a home run *look out acura
By Scott

2009 Chevrolet Malibu Sedan LTZ 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

Traded a 06 Acura and wow, what a much more quiet ride! I had a BMW in the past and the ride rivals a sedan costing 10k plus more.

Favorite Features

overall design and gas mileage!

New Malibu
By Bowtie

2009 Chevrolet Malibu Sedan LT2 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

Have had the car over a year now, rides & handles great. Other than some tiny paint chips (from driving) on the alum wheels the car looks brand new. I am over 6 ft and the headroom is tight for me. I was sorry to see Chevy stopped offering the V6 for 2010 & 2011

Favorite Features

Design, MPG and sunroof.

Suggested Improvements

If I new of a dealership that was straight forward (no baloney) and had reliable, informative, and convenient and reasonably priced service, I'd by any car there Chevy, Ford whatever. I think the change needs to be at the dealership level for US cars to regain popularity.

just so-so
By GM

2009 Chevrolet Malibu Sedan LS 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

The car is nothing special; many compare it to Camry - Camry is a so-so either; gas mileage is never better than 24MPG with 50% highway; city is 18-19 MPG; visibility problem with right turns - right side window column and the mirror block a great deal of view; poor body assembly - uneven gaps around hood, trunk, rear lights, rear fender; poor acceleration uphill from 70 MPH up - probably due to 4 speed transmission (the engine is OK); some radio knobs are less responsive than others; the steering wheel "clicker" that tuns off the turn light when a turn is complete misses 7 times out of 10; requires a lot of room for a U turn; trunk is big but its opening is small.

Favorite Features

Quiet, roomy and comfortable inside; one of the best seats I ever had; the basic stereo system nevertheless has a great sound quality; good ride; seems to be well assembled in terms of mechanics; with non-abusive driving needs to have oil changed just once 10,000 miles or so.

Suggested Improvements

gas mileage, body assembly, maneuverability, visibility, transmission

Warranty Hog
By jackt

2009 Chevrolet Malibu Sedan LTZ 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

Bought Malibu LTZ V6 in June 2009. The car is very comfortable on road. It pushes badly on fast sweepers but I do not normally drive that fast. The power is a bit above adequate. The trunk opening is truly dismal. The "A" pillars offer a huge blind spot. Visibility is also poor to the rear. For me the visibility issue is the worst feature of the car. Four items have been replaced on warranty: right rear door window gasket, the steering column, power steering rack, and the intermediate steering shaft. The piece above the mirror that holds the sun roof and garage door controls had to be reattached. The V-6 in my '92 SHO was MUCH smoother the Malibu's

Favorite Features

Blue tooth, XM radio On Star The handling is actually pretty good. The fuel economy is reasonable for the size and performance of the car, and it comes on 87 octane instead of 92 octane like some of its competition. Also, because of the way the gauges are set deep my wife can not see the speedometer

Suggested Improvements

If Chevy could improve visibility it would be great. A larger trunk opening. Smooth out the V-6. Build a car that needs less repair. Power seat controls are awkward to reach. The lumbar lever is almost impossible to use while driving.