Used 2009 Chevrolet Malibu Sedan Consumer Reviews - 186 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2009 Chevrolet Malibu Sedan - Consumer Reviews

2009 Chevrolet Malibu Sedan

View reviews for a specific Malibu model:

Malibu 2009
By waistband

2009 Chevrolet Malibu Sedan LT2 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

I bought this car in 2010 and haven't looked back
runs great not a glitch anywhere. the main reason for buying this car was gas milage. on hwy i get about 6.6/100 . i have 60.000 ks on the car the only thing i replaced were the front tires, had the brakes checked at the same time and there were only half worn. I did look at the fusion, but price wise the mailbu was cheaper.

2009 Malibu LTZ at 30K
By rbsj

2009 Chevrolet Malibu Sedan LTZ 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

I bought a new LTZ with the 6-cylinder in June 2009.
It now has 30,000 miles on it and I would rate it excellent in almost every way.
I have had zero problems with it.
It has had no squeeks, rattles or operational problems of any nature.
It averages over 31 mpg on the highway going 75 mph, and is very zippy (252 hp in a car the weighs 3,400 lbs).

I would highly recommend the car.

The mpg on the highway, quietness of interior noise, and zippiness.

I wish the trunk opening was bigger. My driver and golf bag just squeeze in. Once in, it all works OK. I have carried four bags of clubs and four golfers to the course regularly.

Impressed and not impressed
By wynne19

2009 Chevrolet Malibu Sedan LT1 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

I needed a vehicle that got better fuel mileage. I traded my 06 F150 crew cab in for this car.
It has saved me alot of money so far.
It get's 27/city at best. The whole car seems cheaply built compared to my f150.
The transmission went out with less then 30,000 miles.
At least gm fixed it for free.
The "check fuel cap" comes on after every fuel fill up.
I would recommend any body looking for a midsize car to check out the Ford Fusion first. I think they have better quality and reliability. I would recommend a Malibu as a second option.

Relatively good gas mileage, drives and handles well, good exterior design, interior fairly well designed, nice wheel covers

Get rid of the "cheap" feel. Transmission? Seats are cheap. Add power seats. Trunk opening very small.

Moldy smell
By wi_native

2009 Chevrolet Malibu Sedan LT1 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

When I first bought this car I really liked it.
I thought I got a lot of features at an ok price.
However the car has since developed a moldy smell in the heater & GM cannot/will not fix the problem.
I've taken it to 3 dealerships to try & fix this.
The original dealership refuses to admit there's a smell.
The 2 subsequant admit there's a moldy smell but refuse to fix it & suggested I take it back to the original dealership for repairs.
The last 2 places informed me that they might not get re-imbursed from GM for warranty work if some other dealer had already worked on the vehicle.

I'll never buy another GM product!!!

Good but not excellent
By docj1

2009 Chevrolet Malibu Sedan LTZ 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

This LTZ is the first US car I've bought in over 30 years.
Its reviews were very good and it lives up to most of them.
For a 4-cylinder vehicle with modest power it is a lot of fun to drive.
It is extremely quiet inside at all speeds.
I get 25-26 mpg in a mix of largely suburban driving and I'm not easy on the throttle.

Where the car falls short is in the quality of interior materials and its fit and finish.
The interior plastics are extremely cheap, molded materials that scratch very easily. Interior trim pieces don't line up and snap together well.
The overall effect is well below the level of Honda and Toyota.

I love the Bluetooth connectivity--it works flawlessly with my Blackberry. The seats are quite comfortable and the heated seats and backs come up to temperature quickly on a cold day. A key factor in my decision to buy is the vehicle's ability to be towed behind an RV with all wheels "down." Very few cars with automatic transmissions can be towed in this manner. Given that I couldn't do this with most Honda's or Toyota's I am still satisfied with my purchase.

Upgrade interior materials to the level of the competition. The cheap plastics are bad reminders of the "old GM."