2009 Chevrolet Malibu Fleet Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2009 Chevrolet Malibu - Consumer Reviews

2009 Malibu Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Malibu model:

Sort Reviews by

great style
By ColoK

2009 Chevrolet Malibu LT1 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

I have had my Malibu for a couple of months now, and I have really enjoyed driving it. I get lots of compliments on the exterior styling. I like the interior accent lighting and so do passengers when they aren't fumbling for the door handle. I haven't experienced the advertised MPG, but also haven't taken any long road trips yet. I average 25-28 MPG around town and short trips.

Favorite Features

Exterior styling, handling, auxiliary jack for the stereo, storage.

Suggested Improvements

Arm rest in back seat.

Another failure
By JakeW

2009 Chevrolet Malibu LT1 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

I expected much more for this epsilon ii designed architecture. What is noticeable is the implementation of foreign and outside influence into this car. Besides all of the effort gm put into this car, it still is a badly designed car that does not come close to the competition it inspired to reach to. Lack of engine efficiency, power. The dashboard is just hideous. The use of cheap plastics still makes me sick. Lack of features, unless you pay serious money to get it.

Favorite Features

The design of the exo-skeleton is really modern. I guess the new chassis with high-strength steel designed in KOrea had a huge part into the chassis improvement.

Suggested Improvements

Need lots, better stereo, better warranty, lower the price, better material quality, better ride characteristics, more consumer friendly.

Malibu for a day
By Mike C

2009 Chevrolet Malibu LS 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

Yesterday I turned in a 2009 Malibu . I put 253 miles on this car in the Bay area. I handles the freeways well except the raised expansion joints on the 880. I had rented a 2009 camray the week before on the same route. In general the new malibu is a good car on its owns merits, in comparison to the camry, engine power similar, NVH similar..good!, Build quality similar. Interior a toos up. THe malibu has better seats hands down . The malibu has a very poorly designed Front door , entry and pillar arrangement. I am 6 foot tall and not fat. The B pillar has a plastic ledge seemingly designed to remove the rear pocket. I ruined a new pair pf slacks in this car. There is no need to this foolishness

Favorite Features

Seats. Engine.

Suggested Improvements

Fuel door should be marked as to which side on the interior. The aforementioned b Pillar. Plus all the door pillars are too fat and reduce visibility. Reduction would change this to a much more elegant design. Rethink AC controls. Allow AC to blow through defroster vent. Paint Quality below par.

Malibu as company car
By cjt

2009 Chevrolet Malibu LT2 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

I chose to get an '09 Malibu LT2 for my company vehicle, and I'm very happy with it. I've put over 40,000 miles on within 10 months and never had a problem. It is full of luxury options, and is sporty and comfortable to drive. In the past I've driven a '03 Jetta, '08 Grand Prix, and then this Malibu. The Malibu is my favorite by far. Overall, it just feels solidly constructed and of very high quality.

Favorite Features

The bluetooth connectivity, XM radio, steering wheel controls, heated seats & mirrors, leather steering and shift nob, optional manual shifting, remote starter, external audio plug in for I- Pod. And last but not least, the blue "mood" lighting that shines down on shift area and inside door handles.

Suggested Improvements

Nothing necessary, but I guess dual climate control would be nice. And while you're at it, throw in a navigation system. But then it would cost another $12,000!

satisfied owner
By chev owner

2009 Chevrolet Malibu LT2 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

I have put 4500 miles on this car in less than 3 mo. Beautiful car. Exterior is as good as any European model. Interior is great. Took awhile to get use to the 6 spd auto trans its ok now. Think the 2.4engine might be a little too small for the tranny. If I was to do again would get larger engine. Fuel mileage not as good as advertised. Only 27-28 highway. Sort of unhappy about the fuel mileage as this is the main reason I purchased the car. I drive 60 miles highway per day. Best ever got was 30mpg. Very few things I would change. Love my chevy anyway.

Favorite Features

Body panel fit is great, quality of interior is beautiful, looks like it was designed after the 69 vette interior. Head turner.

Suggested Improvements

Would like to have a tranny similar to the VW, easy shifting on the floor. The paddle thing the chev has on the steering wheel is weird, I don't use it. The cup holders on the front doors is useless, Stuff spills when door is shut and I hit my feet on them getting out. Needs arm rest in back seat.

Still lacking milage and room
By Clint

2009 Chevrolet Malibu LTZ 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

I love to support my American Cars but when I got a job traveling the east coast I opted to buy a Honda Accord. Recently our company forced us to use rental cars and we are stuck with this malibu. After driving around 500-680miles on a tank of gas to going to 400-475miles I was less than impressed. I'm 6'4" and this car is less roomy than my Accord.I feel extremely cramped while i'm sitting here typing this headed to florida from North Carolina (co-worker driving 1st shift). The car looks nice and runs well. Interior not so pretty but its a rental so I'll suffice. The radio is lacking features also. Steering is much sloppier than the accord. It does have a smooth ride too.

Favorite Features

The Dash compartment is a very nice addition. The coloring on the instrument is very nice and easy on the eye.

Suggested Improvements

The mileage range is less than accurate under normal operating conditions of an average consumer. Needs more room. Trunk space and cab space needs more room. The accord doesn't have a USB port on the radio. I would have loved that on these cars. So many devices use USB to charge.

Awesome Car
By Scott

2009 Chevrolet Malibu LT1 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

I've had this car for 8 months and love everything about it. The styling and quality are great and it's perfect for a family of four. I also had the unfortunate experience of having another driver run a red light and hit my front end going about 30 mph. The Malibu performed quite admirably in the accident, definitely living up to the 5-star rating it received in crash tests. Thankfully, I walked away unharmed and my Chevy dealer was able to fix the car completely within a couple weeks. So far, I haven't noticed anything different about the car since the accident, which was four months ago. The performance of this car, before, during and after the accident has been great !

Favorite Features

Styling, both interior and exterior, safety, very solid vehicle.

Suggested Improvements

Larger cup holders....and more of them, would be nice !

Not as good as I thought
By Lynn

2009 Chevrolet Malibu LT2 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

This car is not for people who drive in the country. The paint allows common driving on grid roads to take the paint off down to the steel, chips the windows and lights. The open hubcaps allow mud to get next to the wheel and causes a shimmy in the steering wheel. The trunk is alot smaller then my 2005 Malibu, the ride is good but the tires do not have traction.

Suggested Improvements

Better paint, different wheel design and larger trunk.

Buy American
By ken

2009 Chevrolet Malibu LT2 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

Bought this Malibu after owning a 2004 version. The car is well built it has not made any visits to the dealer. I average about 29 mpg overall. The 6 speed auto is a must. A great car from GM

Favorite Features

6 speed transmission, gas mileage, reliability.

Suggested Improvements

Brake rotors still could be improved. starting to wear at 20k.

Best car ever
By gramps99

2009 Chevrolet Malibu LT1 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

Bought new in January 2009. I was attracted by the exterior styling, the two tone interior and the fuel economy. I like the quiet ride and overall feel of the car. With 9,500 miles on the car there are absolutely no problems. Fuel economy is better than the EPA rated. I live in a rural area & my city driving has very few stops. I keep an Excel spreadsheet for fuel economy and the calculated economy is even better than the readings on the dash. The lifetime fuel economy so far is 30.4 mpg overall. The 2.4 engine is quiet and reasonable for acceleration (not a hot rod).

Favorite Features

Quiet, lots of standard features, nice sound system, great gas mileage, love both exterior and interior styling, reliable.

Suggested Improvements

Drivers door opening is a little tight for getting in and out.