2009 Chevrolet Malibu - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Malibu model:
Another failure
By JakeW on 11/09/09 06:26 AM (PST)

2009 Chevrolet Malibu LT1 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

I expected much more for this epsilon ii designed architecture. What is noticeable is the implementation of foreign and outside influence into this car. Besides all of the effort gm put into this car, it still is a badly designed car that does not come close to the competition it inspired to reach to. Lack of engine efficiency, power. The dashboard is just hideous. The use of cheap plastics still makes me sick. Lack of features, unless you pay serious money to get it.

Malibu for a day
By Mike C on 11/06/09 10:50 AM (PST)

2009 Chevrolet Malibu LS 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

Yesterday I turned in a 2009 Malibu . I put 253 miles on this car in the Bay area. I handles the freeways well except the raised expansion joints on the 880. I had rented a 2009 camray the week before on the same route. In general the new malibu is a good car on its owns merits, in comparison to the camry, engine power similar, NVH similar..good!, Build quality similar. Interior a toos up. THe malibu has better seats hands down . The malibu has a very poorly designed Front door , entry and pillar arrangement. I am 6 foot tall and not fat. The B pillar has a plastic ledge seemingly designed to remove the rear pocket. I ruined a new pair pf slacks in this car. There is no need to this foolishness

Malibu as company car
By cjt on 10/14/09 14:00 PM (PDT)

2009 Chevrolet Malibu LT2 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

I chose to get an '09 Malibu LT2 for my company vehicle, and I'm very happy with it. I've put over 40,000 miles on within 10 months and never had a problem. It is full of luxury options, and is sporty and comfortable to drive. In the past I've driven a '03 Jetta, '08 Grand Prix, and then this Malibu. The Malibu is my favorite by far. Overall, it just feels solidly constructed and of very high quality.

satisfied owner
By chev owner on 10/13/09 19:08 PM (PDT)

2009 Chevrolet Malibu LT2 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

I have put 4500 miles on this car in less than 3 mo. Beautiful car. Exterior is as good as any European model. Interior is great. Took awhile to get use to the 6 spd auto trans its ok now. Think the 2.4engine might be a little too small for the tranny. If I was to do again would get larger engine. Fuel mileage not as good as advertised. Only 27-28 highway. Sort of unhappy about the fuel mileage as this is the main reason I purchased the car. I drive 60 miles highway per day. Best ever got was 30mpg. Very few things I would change. Love my chevy anyway.

Still lacking milage and room
By Clint on 10/12/09 09:25 AM (PDT)

2009 Chevrolet Malibu LTZ 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

I love to support my American Cars but when I got a job traveling the east coast I opted to buy a Honda Accord. Recently our company forced us to use rental cars and we are stuck with this malibu. After driving around 500-680miles on a tank of gas to going to 400-475miles I was less than impressed. I'm 6'4" and this car is less roomy than my Accord.I feel extremely cramped while i'm sitting here typing this headed to florida from North Carolina (co-worker driving 1st shift). The car looks nice and runs well. Interior not so pretty but its a rental so I'll suffice. The radio is lacking features also. Steering is much sloppier than the accord. It does have a smooth ride too.

Awesome Car
By Scott on 10/10/09 21:29 PM (PDT)

2009 Chevrolet Malibu LT1 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

I've had this car for 8 months and love everything about it. The styling and quality are great and it's perfect for a family of four. I also had the unfortunate experience of having another driver run a red light and hit my front end going about 30 mph. The Malibu performed quite admirably in the accident, definitely living up to the 5-star rating it received in crash tests. Thankfully, I walked away unharmed and my Chevy dealer was able to fix the car completely within a couple weeks. So far, I haven't noticed anything different about the car since the accident, which was four months ago. The performance of this car, before, during and after the accident has been great !

Not as good as I thought
By Lynn on 10/09/09 20:42 PM (PDT)

2009 Chevrolet Malibu LT2 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

This car is not for people who drive in the country. The paint allows common driving on grid roads to take the paint off down to the steel, chips the windows and lights. The open hubcaps allow mud to get next to the wheel and causes a shimmy in the steering wheel. The trunk is alot smaller then my 2005 Malibu, the ride is good but the tires do not have traction.

Buy American
By ken on 10/09/09 17:05 PM (PDT)

2009 Chevrolet Malibu LT2 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

Bought this Malibu after owning a 2004 version. The car is well built it has not made any visits to the dealer. I average about 29 mpg overall. The 6 speed auto is a must. A great car from GM

Best car ever
By gramps99 on 10/04/09 19:09 PM (PDT)

2009 Chevrolet Malibu LT1 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

Bought new in January 2009. I was attracted by the exterior styling, the two tone interior and the fuel economy. I like the quiet ride and overall feel of the car. With 9,500 miles on the car there are absolutely no problems. Fuel economy is better than the EPA rated. I live in a rural area & my city driving has very few stops. I keep an Excel spreadsheet for fuel economy and the calculated economy is even better than the readings on the dash. The lifetime fuel economy so far is 30.4 mpg overall. The 2.4 engine is quiet and reasonable for acceleration (not a hot rod).

Too Much Good Stuff
By krs3087 on 10/04/09 18:26 PM (PDT)

2009 Chevrolet Malibu LT1 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

Absolutely love my new malibu! Last '09 on the lot...Handles well, plenty of get up and go, and I love the exterior design. I look forward to every drive I take.

TCO® insurance data for this vehicle coming soon...

For an accurate quote, contact our trusted partner below.