Used 2009 Chevrolet Malibu Consumer Reviews - 186 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2009 Chevrolet Malibu - Consumer Reviews

2009 Chevrolet Malibu

View reviews for a specific Malibu model:

Worst Car I have Ever Owned!
By sthrn05stnggrl

2009 Chevrolet Malibu LTZ 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

I bought this car new in Dec 2008. After having it just under a year, completely died on me when I was driving in my neighborhood. They had to replace a wiring harness in it. Then a year later the battery died. Another year later the car's transmission started to shift hard. They told me it was normal. I've had the car in & out of the shop since the end of January 2012, It is now almost the end of March and the car still is having issues. They replaced the torque converter, exhaust manafold, and the fuel injector wiring. Guess what? The car is now leaking pink fluid, hard shifting, and now there is a dull rattling sound coming from under the hood passenger side when ever the road is uneven

The interior is the only thing I like about this car

It is not reliable, to many electricle issues. Would not suggest anyone buy this car. We followed all the maintence schedules and had everything taken care of like we were suppposed and we have all of these horrible issues.

Bought and sold in under 2 months
By julie46

2009 Chevrolet Malibu LT1 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

Not at all impressed with the quality.
Had it in the shop 3 times and when we traded it in the pasenger door still wouldnt open. Replaced latches on drivers side also. Tie rods were replaced because they were loose. replaced steering geer box.
It thankfully was still under warrenty, but it only had 30,000 miles on it.
Interior design is poor, the cup holders are set to far back and the second one is about useless because it sets back part way under arm rest.
It looked nice and the mileage was excellent is the nice things I have to say.
Probably wont buy American again.

Mileage and looks. Gold mist in color looks nice and is Great for not showing dirt!!

Quality

best four door on the market
By eriebuckeye

2009 Chevrolet Malibu LTZ 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

i have 24k miles on it and it drives like a dream. i get 38 mpg hwy and about 28 city. big trunk space. i also own a cadillac cts and this rides even better than it.

smooth ride gas mileage blu tooth heated seats kick a$$ stereo 6 disc changer

be able to change your own head light

Disappointed
By tray529

2009 Chevrolet Malibu LS 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

I was attracted to this vehicle because of the exterior looks. The malibu turns out to be somewhat of a disappoinment. The interior feels closed in- not much room. There is not much room in the rear for passengers.
The trimming is coming apart from the dash. Multiple blind spots. The seats seem to 'attract' stains.
The excelleration is poor. The steering is quick. No sudden jerks on the wheel.

3rd Malibu, Dissapointed
By randy394

2009 Chevrolet Malibu LT2 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

I’ve been such a fan of Malibus that this was my 3rd one (also owned ’04 and ’06 Malibu LTs), but sadly, I’m not very satisfied this time around. At first, I was in love with this car. However, after 9 months, that satisfaction has turned to disappointment.

Don’t get me wrong, there are many positives to the car. For starters, the car looks fantastic. The leather/suede seats are quite comfortable and the controls are easy to use. The quality of interior materials is nice as well. That’s where the positives end, unfortunately.

My biggest frustration is probably the trunk. The opening is extremely small. I bought a new printer and the box wouldn’t fit. I also couldn’t fit my suitcase in it. Plus, the trunk floor is so weak that it sags down into the spare tire. The performance is disappointing. Granted, I came from a V6 201HP to this I4 169HP, but this car is very sluggish. Its adequate, but doesn’t hold a candle to my ’04 and ’06 models. The stereo isn’t anything to brag about either. It’s clear, but lacks any umph. Also, a minor nuisance is the controls for the heated seats digs into my left leg. Lastly, there are many blind spots, especially in the rear.