Used 2009 Chevrolet Malibu Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2009 Chevrolet Malibu - Consumer Reviews

2009 Chevrolet Malibu

View reviews for a specific Malibu model:

Good but not excellent
By docj1

2009 Chevrolet Malibu LTZ 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

This LTZ is the first US car I've bought in over 30 years. Its reviews were very good and it lives up to most of them. For a 4-cylinder vehicle with modest power it is a lot of fun to drive. It is extremely quiet inside at all speeds. I get 25-26 mpg in a mix of largely suburban driving and I'm not easy on the throttle. Where the car falls short is in the quality of interior materials and its fit and finish. The interior plastics are extremely cheap, molded materials that scratch very easily. Interior trim pieces don't line up and snap together well. The overall effect is well below the level of Honda and Toyota.

Favorite Features

I love the Bluetooth connectivity--it works flawlessly with my Blackberry. The seats are quite comfortable and the heated seats and backs come up to temperature quickly on a cold day. A key factor in my decision to buy is the vehicle's ability to be towed behind an RV with all wheels "down." Very few cars with automatic transmissions can be towed in this manner. Given that I couldn't do this with most Honda's or Toyota's I am still satisfied with my purchase.

Suggested Improvements

Upgrade interior materials to the level of the competition. The cheap plastics are bad reminders of the "old GM."

Excited at first, not anymore...
By michstangfan

2009 Chevrolet Malibu LT2 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

Off the bat, I loved this car. Wanted a nice looking car that was fun to drive and good on gas, not to mention affordable. Interior and exterior styling are great and you can't beat the price. After driving the car for only 3 months now, it has been a nightmare. Windshield leak warranted an entire replacement of the windshield, heated seats stopped working, security light randomly comes on, transmission glitches and needs to be serviced monthly, wood (plastic) trim pops out of its clips. Biggest problem, high beam headlamp already burnt out and you have to remove the entire front end to access the bulbs! Oh and oil changes, forget doing them yourself, you'll need a special tool.

Favorite Features

Bluetooth, ambient lighting, leather/suede seats, lots of storage.

Suggested Improvements

Cheap interior plastic scuffs easily, mileage is not as advertised unless you baby the car, reliability has been nothing short of terrible. Will be selling this car shortly and going back to my Ford. Can't stress this enough GM, quality, quality, quality! Never again...

Should not have purchased
By Tayotis Caldwell

2009 Chevrolet Malibu LT1 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

I have always driven foreign cars and I decided to buy this car because of my president's speech about helping America. I love my president, but do not like this car. The value has dropped more then half in less then 3 years. I have taken this car in because of the door, center console and windows. I do not like this car and will soon trade it in for a foreign car. This car is terrible stay away!

If You Are Short Read On
By LoveChevy

2009 Chevrolet Malibu LT2 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

I am 5' 2". I have the seat all the way up and almost completely forward. The steering is QUICK. Driving a GEO Prizm for many years was very different. Blind spots left and right passenger. As you can see I don't drive much but I have been told it is a car that can rack up the mileage and is still very dependable. Drove from PA to NM and it was very comfortable.

Favorite Features

5 Star Crash Rating. Just beautiful. Interior is great to look at and all the instruments are easy to reach. The LT2 has heated seats.

Suggested Improvements

Blind spot for everyone is the left and right rear. This is due to making the car a 5 Star Crash Rating so this may not be something that can be corrected as 5 Star is very important. Give it Hill Hugger as taking foot off break you go forward and backward even on level ground.

Overall good car
By PLG

2009 Chevrolet Malibu LT1 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

I purchased a 2009 Chevy Malibu LT 2.4l 4cyl. Ive only had it for a week and never thought id own an American car but so far im happy and impressed. It's a really sharp looking car with a comfy and stylish interior much better then the Camry or Accord. The engine has a great set up stuff is easy to access, I'm getting about 20 mpg city 29 hwy, it's quick not like my Subaru but good enough. The sport paddle shifters make it a bit more fun. It rides really smooth, it has a sportier suspension then the Camry which was big for me. The interior is a BIG improvement. Its very comfy, easy to clean, a lot of rear legroom, lots of cup holders and storage spaces. Overall its great car and would recommend

Favorite Features

My favorite thing is the bluetooth and onstar, it's awesome. The headlights are actually bright, nice choice of wheel packages, the seats are large and comfy, nice sound system, lots of cup holders, the exterior body style is luxurious and sporty all in one. Remote start is okay. lots of storage spots

Suggested Improvements

It has big blind spots and is hard to see out the back window. would like some handles to grab on and a rear seat center armrest. Back to the remote start its nice but I would rather buy an aftermarket one because it would work from 2000 ft away rather then 150 ft. For a 4 cyl better mpg