Used 2009 Chevrolet Malibu Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2009 Chevrolet Malibu - Consumer Reviews

2009 Chevrolet Malibu

View reviews for a specific Malibu model:

2009 Malibu 2LT 4 cyl
By Al Kraig

2009 Chevrolet Malibu LT2 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

Excellent Car. Rides and handles well. Fuel economy exceeds EPA estimates. It gets an honest 36 mpg on the open road and has an overall average (50/50 city/highway) of 29.5. It is exceedingly quiet from both road and wind noise. Minor gripes are: trunk opening size and no seat height adjustment on passenger seat. Prospective buyers for Camrys and Accords are well advised to drive the Malibu.

Favorite Features

Quietness and fuel economy

Suggested Improvements

Increase trunk opening. Provide a height adjustment on passenger seat

6 times in Shop
By Lee G-Mansfield-OH

2009 Chevrolet Malibu LT1 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

I have been stranded when vehicle quit w/o warning 4x and acted up 6x. It is going to shop again tomorrow for the 6x. They have replaced wiring harnesses, computer, fuel press. Gauge, engine oil pan, engine cam & actuator valves, air intake assemble, ecm replaced. Car literally lunged forward one night when I was in driveway. Luckily I had my foot on brake or it would of went through my garage door. More problems than the car is worth. Loved it when it runs, but I drive 90 mi. Rt a day and I am getting real tired of all the break- downs! No Wonder gm is going down! Would never buy another gm again. Wife bought used 06 Toyota rav month before and no problems with it. Go figure!

Favorite Features

Roomy, good gas mileage (I have 6- speed) aver. 35-38mpg. Comfortable ride. Exterior design nice. Quiet inside. Now if only it would run!

Suggested Improvements

Stop getting foreign parts that are junk!

Great little car
By donald Nickeson

2009 Chevrolet Malibu LS 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

I like all aspects of this car, mileage ,comfort,quality,reliability instrumentation,etc.

Favorite Features

Instrumentation

Suggested Improvements

None

Upgrade to the 6 speed
By Kula Jon

2009 Chevrolet Malibu LT1 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

I bought the LS1 version but if I had to do it again (and had more money to spend!) I would buy the 6 speed. The 4 speed is adequate but I think the 6 speed might be peppier. Carefully check your fit and finish. I've discovered that my passenger door isn't properly aligned and that my folding rear seats don't latch properly. All in all it's a pretty smooth riding car and adequate for the usual day to day driving. I wouldn't want to take it on an extended journey though. Maybe the LTX model is more comfy?

Favorite Features

There's really nothing that jumps out on this car. It does have smooth body lines though. If you price Nissan Altima, or a Toyota you will probably buy the Chevy I got my 2009 for $19750 out the door. They wanted 34k for the Altima! I think it's a solid value and has a good track record.

Suggested Improvements

The door pillar needs to be pushed back. It's a squeeze to get in the front. Bluetooth and some of the other "options" should be standard. Fit and finish inspections need to be done more rigorously.

Deceiving
By nick2343

2009 Chevrolet Malibu LT2 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

This car is very deceiving. You might read great reviews on this car, but in reality I own this car and I would take back the purchase in a second. I understand where the "Great" reviews come from, but after owning this car after 4 months, it breaks down so quickly. My friend also owns this car and he told me his front console is vert lose and shakey and that his front seat ripped. The SAME exact thing happened to me and my mother. We are also are not happy with the leather/suede in this car. The suede wears down so quickly and stains very easily. The audio system loses its frequency often causing way too often static and loss of the channel. There is an up to this car, the trunk is big!