2009 Chevrolet Malibu - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Malibu model:
1000 miles and radio problems
By NewGMowner on 01/07/09 14:19 PM (PST)

2009 Chevrolet Malibu LT2 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

My XM radio is not receiving a signal, the malibu is in the shop for three days to fix - I have 1200 miles on the car, not happy. The lastest is they may have to replace radio - more time in the shop. The four cylinder, six speed automatic transmission is great. I like the car - even with the radio issue. Hard to believe but I would strongly recommend this Chevy to all. I test drove many cars - this car is as good, I believe better than: Honda, Nissan, Toyota, Mazda and etc. I wanted to buy American and thought I might have to accept less - the Malibu is a great car - really. The gas mileage is excellent for the car's size and weight. All will like the mpg - very quiet. GM lives!

Pleasantly Surprised
By Very Satisfied on 01/02/09 20:06 PM (PST)

2009 Chevrolet Malibu LTZ 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

Looked at Ford Fusion, Hyundai Sonata, and Volkswagen Passat. For the money, this was the best car. More than adequate power for a 4 cyl., extremely quiet at highway speeds, and a very smooth, comfortable ride. Suspension not too hard or soft, just right. Plenty of technology and luxury like comforts in the car (Bluetooth, OnStar, heated seats). First road trip was over 600 miles, averaged about 30-32 mpg, but I tend to drive a little fast. Car was at 80 mph, tachometer wasn't even at 2500. Putting a 6 speed trans in this car was the smartest thing GM ever did. Oh, did I mention, car is just beautiful to look at. This is my first American purchase, and I am extremely impressed.

Best choice among midsizers
By Malibu Owner on 12/28/08 10:47 AM (PST)

2009 Chevrolet Malibu LS 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

Traded in our 2006 Chevrolet Impala LT for a 2009 Chevrolet Malibu LS, what an improvement. The Impala's a good car, but the Malibu is an excellent car. It rides really smooth, feels well put together, is designed well inside and out and is a good value. It comes with ABS, traction and stability control, six airbags, OnStar with turn- by-turn directions, Sirius-XM radio and so much more all standard. Ours had no options. We love the golden pewter metallic color which looks light blue sometimes and gray/silver others, depending on the light. When driving, the car feels planted, don't be afraid to hit the gas around a curve. Brakes that could stop a train are great too.

Best Car Chevy has ever made.
By Jeff B on 12/28/08 04:47 AM (PST)

2009 Chevrolet Malibu LS 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

Mine is a LS with 4 cyl engine. Gas mileage is okay at about 25 mpg average, but this car handles better than any GM car I've ever driven, and seats are comfy too. If GM made more cars like this, they would't be on the verge of collapse. This is a fleet vehicle for me, and while I like it a lot, I would choose an Accord, Mazda 6, or Altima if I were buying with my own cash. All in all, a very nice vehicle though.

A pleasure
By jj on 12/24/08 18:34 PM (PST)

2009 Chevrolet Malibu LTZ 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

Purchased an LTZ with the 6 cylinder engine after testing the 4 and finding it a bit sluggish. While only in the first month of ownership, I've been delighted. The cabin is comfortable, pleasing to the eye, and very quiet. The sound system is a joy. Last night I heard low frequencies in the Saint- Saens organ concerto I'd never noticed before. The leather seats are very supportive, especially in the back-- where I appreciate the firmness. The six comes with hydraulic steering that gives just the right feedback. Mileage so far is satisfactory--19.7 mpg on short hauls around town. Glad I got the six--it has pickup that reminds me of my Dad's 65 Chrysler 300. It's eager to go.

Love it - (the 3.6L V6 model)
By BB on 12/21/08 16:39 PM (PST)

2009 Chevrolet Malibu LTZ 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

I owned a base model Malibu previously - and knew that they were reliable cars. This time, I wanted the nicest car I could get. Heated leather seats, remote start, and sunroof were on the top of my list. I expected to pay $30K for this car. Husband got it for $24K. It's quiet, looks classy, and is fun to drive. A good choice all around.

Excellent Vehicle -Drive one!
By formerChryslerEng on 12/02/08 19:45 PM (PST)

2009 Chevrolet Malibu LTZ 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

Excellent vehicle - good fuel economy, power (for a 4 cylinder), rides and handles excellent, comfortable seats, and is quiet! Drive one - see for yourself how nice it is! 4 cylinder engine and 6 speed auto rans are matched well - vehicle shifts smoothly and is very quite for a 4 cylinder. trans is always in teh proper gear, it don''t hunt like other competitiors I drove. Radio controls are very intuitive, I didn't even have to read the manual to program the stations - which by the way you are not limited to one set of AM, one set of FM , and one set of XM - you can mix and match your presets in the order you want- very nice!

So far, So good.
By RJ on 11/26/08 19:19 PM (PST)

2009 Chevrolet Malibu LT2 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

I did a lot of homework and drove a lot of cars before purchasing my Malibu. I am very pleased so far with most everything. It doesn't ride or acclerate like my Caddy, but it is fun to drive, and I can afford to drive over the mountain without taking out a loan for fuel. I don't know what to expect over the long haul with the 6 speed, it does a lot of shifting, but I have 100 K to decide if I want to keep it. I spent more on it than I intended, but I couldn't find some features that I wanted on the LS. Overall, a nice American product.

Try it you'll love it.
By Malibu Owner on 11/24/08 10:40 AM (PST)

2009 Chevrolet Malibu LTZ 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

This has to be one of the best cars I've ever owned, including a Cadillac CTS. Everything is just perfect on this car. The V-6 has real go power, and I'm averaging 23 MPG in mixed driving. The fit and finish is wonderful. The car is so quiet that I sometimes have to look at the tach to see if it is running at stoplights. All of you import buyers are really missing out on a great car. I tested Toyota and there is no comparison.

Dissapointed
By Tex on 11/16/08 06:12 AM (PST)

2009 Chevrolet Malibu LT1 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

Purchased car to support American economy and ingenuity after 25 years of foreign purchases. Found that the car has hidden flaws. Rear side panels become detached by a slight push inward. Took it back to dealer and I was told it was designed to come apart at impact. Cannot believe engineers would think this way after decades of safety improvements. The dealer also found out the most of its other Malibus on the lot had the same defect. I am very dissapointed, especially after what I had heard about the vehicle. I am very hesitant to buy "American" again, especially after the local dealer has been very deceptive after discovery of this problem.

TCO® insurance data for this vehicle coming soon...

For an accurate quote, contact our trusted partner below.