2009 Chevrolet Malibu Fleet Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2009 Chevrolet Malibu - Consumer Reviews

2009 Malibu Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Malibu model:

Sort Reviews by

Great American Car
By rkt

2009 Chevrolet Malibu Sedan LTZ 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

Very Quiet, ride is xtra good, handles like a race car, looks fantastic. Good mileage..

Favorite Features

6 speed automatic, excellant radio, bluetooth, looks, American car.

Suggested Improvements

Would like opportunity to purchase solid black interior on LTZ. Don't really like the Blk/Brn. Tan/Brn is OK, but would rather have All Black. All Blk is available in LT, but not in LTZ.

Great value
By chevy dude

2009 Chevrolet Malibu Sedan LT1 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

This car is beautiful. I can't stop looking at it. Oh yea, and it runs great too. I have an LT1 with dealer installed aftermarket heated leather seats. very comfortable.I've taken long rides, short rides, highway, back roads, rain sleet and snow and this vehicle never ceases to impress me. The OnStar service gives unmatched piece of mind and security. Before this I had an Oldsmobile Aurora and I thought that car was the best....I was wrong.

Favorite Features

Speed controlled wipers. OnStar. XM. Steering wheel controls. Built in phone. Large trunk. The car e-mails my ipod with all sorts of vehicle info like tire pressure, oil life, and performs various other systems checks . Pretty cool.

Suggested Improvements

Speedometer leaves you guessing at your actual speed and it's not marked in kph.

Good Job GM! This is more like it!
By Frank C.

2009 Chevrolet Malibu Sedan LTZ 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

Just plain and simple, I wanted to buy an American car again, and in my opinion, this is one of the best American or Import cars I have seen. Outstanding build quality, in and out. A lot of car for the money, great incentives right now. Anyone considering a mid-size car, or any size for that matter, really needs to take a look at the Malibu. Let's give the guys from Detroit another chance America! They're finally trying to get it right. Hope it transcends to the rest of Chevy's line up in the future.

Favorite Features

Interior one of the best, outstanding attention to detail, attractive, especially the two-tone. Fun to drive; the 4 has plenty of get up and go, with excellent gas mileage. Love the OnStar, idiot proof! Great warranty. Love the front end, no mistaking this car for anything else on the road!

Suggested Improvements

I would make the steering wheel controls larger, and bring back the adjustable pedals. That's about it.

Great car
By Devils41

2009 Chevrolet Malibu Sedan LT2 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

Good car. I work at the dealership in which my wife bought it. Good car for someone who works there to buy one says a lot. I'm glad that chevy has upgraded these cars so much. Got the car for Employee pricing which was around $22,000. but it was the LT2 with black granite metallic, rear power package, titanium interior, premium sound and V6. Have to get the V6 it's not as noisy as the I4 and is really quick with 276HP. Good car considering one day it will be hard to fit the family in my Civic Si coupe. My Step dad who has only ever owned lexus says that this car is better than his RX330, he said it is a lot quieter and luxurious. Also thinking about getting one.

Favorite Features

Sound, Power, six speed automatic tranny, V6 power. Noise deadening steel. Passenger and driver side windows are same glass as windshield which helps block a lot of noise (you won't realize you're doing 80). The look of the car, and handling.

Suggested Improvements

Don't make the sunroof a free flow option, better looking stock 18" rims. Also for my wife put back in the adjustable foot peddles. Also, fog lights I know they are in the LTZ but the interior she liked are not offered in the LTZ, and in my opinion they are hideous except the ebony

2009 Chevy Malibu
By kim

2009 Chevrolet Malibu Sedan LT2 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

Aside from a few minor complaints about the interior finishings (they seem a little cheap) this is an awesome little car! It's fun to drive and delivers more than enough horsepower. It's also very quiet and comfortable. Add to that affordable and good mileage. I highly recommend this car.

Favorite Features

Quiet, powerful V6 engine

Suggested Improvements

Tweak the interior finishings a little, to give a more finished feel

About Time GM
By BWN

2009 Chevrolet Malibu Sedan LS 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

Have just under 10,000 miles in a short period of time. Tight, comfortable, quiet, sure footed, and user friendly. When you consider the cost of this vehicle, it is a winner. Not a single problem with the car. It is an great midsize family sedan. I was nervous when I moved from my 06 Camry to this car. I'm now glad I did.

Favorite Features

Nimble, quiet, decent mileage (28 mixed) ergonomically well thought out. OnStar accident notification to emergency providers(huge) if you care about yourself or family. It is not a bad looking car either. Information center is great. Fake chrome mag wheels are super looking.

Suggested Improvements

Dual climate controls. Heated mirrors. Sports Package. Extended door handles inside.

First Chevy since 1954
By Kansas City

2009 Chevrolet Malibu Sedan LTZ 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

Decided on the 2009 Malibu after looking at Camry, Accord, and Hyundai Genesis. This is the first Chevrolet we've owned since a 1954 Bel-Aire purchased in 1964. We've owned a Buick, Mercury, BMW, Acura, and several Ford trucks. This car was a replacement for a 2000 Chrysler 300M. My wife was skeptical about the 4 cyl. after driving the 300M for 8 years. She drove the 4 cyl. for a day and was impressed. I had voted for the fuel economy from the beginning. We are very satisfied with the car. We drive a car for 8-10 years primarily for local trips and put about 8k per year on it. However, with the price of gas decreasing---the 6 cyl. was tempting.

Favorite Features

Interior design. Quietness after driving a very noisy Chrysler 300M-- road noise was awful. The 6-speed automatic is great and the 18 inch wheels were a pleasant surprise when shopping for a car. About 2000 rpms at 65 mph. This is our first time for an XM radio and we are sold on it.

Suggested Improvements

Manual shift paddles seem funny on a 4-cyl. I used the manual shift option on the 300M which was fun at times.

A contender
By pulciano

2009 Chevrolet Malibu Sedan LT2 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

So far so good! Real happy with purchase. V6 does the job. Exterior came a long way. Interior very classy and high end looking. It's about time GM became competitive with Chevy sedans.

Favorite Features

Comfortable drive. Hydraulic steering. All around satisfying

Suggested Improvements

Need too much pressure on pedal to downshift for passing, merging. The engine definitely has it but the tranny response needs to let us have it!

Outstanding Buy
By hunt0694

2009 Chevrolet Malibu Sedan LT1 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

Anyone who believes that GM can't build a quality, fun-to-drive car at a resonable price should try the new Malibu. I've had a lot of cars but nothing this good for the money. I had no intention of getting a Malibu until I test drove it (I was set to buy a Camry.) The Chevy won in ride and performance, and interior styling was way better than the Toyota. And the deal being offered made it thousand less. I know everyone talks about how the Camry delivers more on resale, but you're paying way too much up front. And the Malibu is way more fun to drive. If you're on the fence about buying a mid-size car, do yourself a favor an drive the Malibu.

Favorite Features

Ride, handling, exterior and interior styling.

Suggested Improvements

None

See Ya Toyota!
By pamemake

2009 Chevrolet Malibu Sedan LT2 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

After much research and model shopping I finally made it into my local Chevy dealer. I took the Malibu 4 cylinder for a test drive and really liked it, until I took the 6 cylinder for a test drive. Wow! What a smooth ride. Very comfortable and tight. The car handled our pot-holes very nicely during the test drive. The ride was supple and controlled and the noise level was very very low. The car handled like a vehicle that should cost much more. Nicely appointed and fun to drive. I touch the gas and I go! No lag in the 6 cylinder. The 4 cylinder was a little laggy for me. After my test drive, I wanted the 6 cylinder. My Prius was boring and low powered and I couldn't wait to trade it in.

Favorite Features

OnStar, the car has it's own phone number, XM radio, and an automatic starter which is a plus in our snowy state. The exterior is pleasant and the trunk is almost too big.

Suggested Improvements

The only improvement I would make is to place beefier speakers. The speaker set in there now is certainly adequate, but I like to "feel" my music sometimes. It's more of a personal preference, but something I would like that isn't there.