2009 Chevrolet Malibu Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Malibu model:
Nice Car for the Price.
By chevy4life1 on 06/18/12 13:40 PM (PDT)

2009 Chevrolet Malibu Sedan LT1 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

We bought the car used at the Ford dealership where I work, so we were able to get less than what KBB suggested that it costs. We fell in love with the overall look to begin with. Both the sleak yet aggressive exterior and the luxury type interior. We have made a long distance run across two states on vacation so far, since we bought the car a month ago. It performed very well on hwy, we averaged around 27-28 due to hills and stop and go traffic. With the 2.4L it was a hesitation getting up hills and accelerating, so I slapped a Jet Performance module on there and saw improvement with acceleration and horsepower.

Bought and sold in under 2 months
By julie46 on 02/28/12 06:25 AM (PST)

2009 Chevrolet Malibu Sedan LT1 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

Not at all impressed with the quality. Had it in the shop 3 times and when we traded it in the pasenger door still wouldnt open. Replaced latches on drivers side also. Tie rods were replaced because they were loose. replaced steering geer box. It thankfully was still under warrenty, but it only had 30,000 miles on it. Interior design is poor, the cup holders are set to far back and the second one is about useless because it sets back part way under arm rest. It looked nice and the mileage was excellent is the nice things I have to say. Probably wont buy American again.

Impressed and not impressed
By wynne19 on 05/16/11 06:01 AM (PDT)

2009 Chevrolet Malibu Sedan LT1 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

I needed a vehicle that got better fuel mileage. I traded my 06 F150 crew cab in for this car. It has saved me alot of money so far. It get's 27/city at best. The whole car seems cheaply built compared to my f150. The transmission went out with less then 30,000 miles. At least gm fixed it for free. The "check fuel cap" comes on after every fuel fill up. I would recommend any body looking for a midsize car to check out the Ford Fusion first. I think they have better quality and reliability. I would recommend a Malibu as a second option.

Moldy smell
By wi_native on 03/14/11 11:35 AM (PDT)

2009 Chevrolet Malibu Sedan LT1 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

When I first bought this car I really liked it. I thought I got a lot of features at an ok price. However the car has since developed a moldy smell in the heater & GM cannot/will not fix the problem. I've taken it to 3 dealerships to try & fix this. The original dealership refuses to admit there's a smell. The 2 subsequant admit there's a moldy smell but refuse to fix it & suggested I take it back to the original dealership for repairs. The last 2 places informed me that they might not get re-imbursed from GM for warranty work if some other dealer had already worked on the vehicle.

Should not have purchased
By Tayotis Caldwell on 10/10/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2009 Chevrolet Malibu Sedan LT1 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

I have always driven foreign cars and I decided to buy this car because of my president's speech about helping America. I love my president, but do not like this car. The value has dropped more then half in less then 3 years. I have taken this car in because of the door, center console and windows. I do not like this car and will soon trade it in for a foreign car. This car is terrible stay away!

Overall good car
By PLG on 08/17/10 21:24 PM (PDT)

2009 Chevrolet Malibu Sedan LT1 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

I purchased a 2009 Chevy Malibu LT 2.4l 4cyl. Ive only had it for a week and never thought id own an American car but so far im happy and impressed. It's a really sharp looking car with a comfy and stylish interior much better then the Camry or Accord. The engine has a great set up stuff is easy to access, I'm getting about 20 mpg city 29 hwy, it's quick not like my Subaru but good enough. The sport paddle shifters make it a bit more fun. It rides really smooth, it has a sportier suspension then the Camry which was big for me. The interior is a BIG improvement. Its very comfy, easy to clean, a lot of rear legroom, lots of cup holders and storage spaces. Overall its great car and would recommend

Great car so far!
By Sharmin on 06/01/10 14:44 PM (PDT)

2009 Chevrolet Malibu Sedan LT1 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

Purchased a certified, pre-owned and so far it is fabulous! Great exterior look and very roomy interior with well placed instruments and controls. I am very short and he is very tall and neither one of us have problems driving or riding with comfort. Would definitely recommend this car!

Not 'all that'
By Jamie on 03/23/10 11:15 AM (PDT)

2009 Chevrolet Malibu Sedan LT1 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

I was dazzled by the shiny wheel covers when the salesman whipped it around the lot, and was tired of shopping for cars so I decided to buy it. The performance is okay, and as stated before,the car is nice to look at, the factory stereo sounds okay, and the car is a smooth ride. I had heard about the cheap plastic on the interior, but didn't realize how CHEAP it is. It scratches very easily. Also, the front window scratches easily too. The right front headlamp gets condensation behind the lens, and there is a rattle in the dash that happens when the gas is applied. The windows are too 'skinny', reducing visibility greatly. Yes, the trunk opening is too small. Paint is blotchy in spots.

Lovin' every mile of it!
By momof2collegekids on 02/21/10 16:30 PM (PST)

2009 Chevrolet Malibu Sedan LT1 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

We've got the 4 cylinder, with 6 speed automatic transmission. Owned it 9 months now. Plenty of power, great mpg. Love the interior lighting, the auto headlights, Onstar, the hands-free phone with the option of using our Verizon minutes. Hwy mpg was always over 30 on a 1200 mile trip. Husband says he likes all the info he gets from the Driver Info Center on the dash as well as the traction control here in snowy MN. With all the airbags and the crash test ratings, I feel very safe driving it. The sunroof, 18" chrome wheel package and the optional spoiler really make it a head-turner.

Malibu
By ed on 01/31/10 14:51 PM (PST)

2009 Chevrolet Malibu Sedan LT1 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

This car is very solid. You can tell chevy put a lot of attention redesigning the new malibu inside and out. Nice quiet comfortable ride. I opt for the v6..it has plenty of power but not the fastest v6 on the road. But it does fine. Gas mileage is above average. I wasn't sold on the six speed trans at first,(seems like its always changing gears) but very fun with the paddle shifters and now Im use to it. The interior is nicely laid out, and the radio features are easy to use. Being 6'1 it is a little tight getting in, for whatever reason the floor board sill is raised about 2 inches, not sure really why. The only other complaint torque steer..under heavy acceleration the car sways a little.

The Edmunds TCO® estimated monthly insurance payment for a 2009 Chevrolet Malibu Sedan in VA is:

$125 per month*