2009 Chevrolet Malibu Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Malibu model:
best car I've ever owned
By lovethiscar2 on 09/16/14 17:24 PM (PDT)

2009 Chevrolet Malibu Sedan LS 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

I have had many brand new cars but this is the best. in the last five years I have driven my 2009 Malibu 138000 miles and not one problem. Not one. I replaced my tires and brakes at 75000 miles and the rear brakes still had 1/2 their life left. Everyday I thank my lucky stars for buying the Malibu and would buy another in a heartbeat.

Rims
By stacy1966 on 01/20/13 12:40 PM (PST)

2009 Chevrolet Malibu Sedan LS 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

I agree with the rims issue.Mine have made noise from the beginning so we had to take one off already and it was bent but still making a noise. am also very disappointed on the gas mileage.I can't seem to keep gas in it and I only drive around 10 miles daily. anyone else with this problem.

Great Car! Very Reliable
By johnnycars22 on 11/16/12 16:35 PM (PST)

2009 Chevrolet Malibu Sedan LS 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

I have had my car for 3 years and I have over 98,000 miles. I have had no problems with the car, it's been extremely reliable. I really enjoy owning an American product!

Automatic doors lock me inside
By kirby16 on 06/26/12 20:10 PM (PDT)

2009 Chevrolet Malibu Sedan LS 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

I bought my Malibu in March 2009. Started out great until winter. My doors started to bounce back open when shutting them. I took it to the garage and they said it just needed greased. I thought it was fixed (NOT). Shortly after the doors started to lock me inside. I pushed the OnStar button to unlock the doors and I could hear them unlock but the doors still would not open. My car has been in the garage multi times. 1) doors 2) transmission sensor (twice) 3) air bag sensor 4) tire pressure sensor I'm ready to trade this Lemon in for a different vehicle.

Disappointed
By tray529 on 10/18/11 08:47 AM (PDT)

2009 Chevrolet Malibu Sedan LS 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

I was attracted to this vehicle because of the exterior looks. The malibu turns out to be somewhat of a disappoinment. The interior feels closed in- not much room. There is not much room in the rear for passengers. The trimming is coming apart from the dash. Multiple blind spots. The seats seem to 'attract' stains. The excelleration is poor. The steering is quick. No sudden jerks on the wheel.

Not very satisfied
By mjenkins on 08/17/10 08:58 AM (PDT)

2009 Chevrolet Malibu Sedan LS 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

I purchased my Malibu brand new in 03/09 and I have had numerous problems. I am so tired of this car and wish I wouldn't have purchased it. It's only nice looking. I have had to have new brake pads, door replaced, battery, and now it's in the shop because the entire dashboard shut down and it's jerking continuously. I can't even drive my car. I will NEVER purchase another Chevy!

just so-so
By GM on 07/16/10 12:44 PM (PDT)

2009 Chevrolet Malibu Sedan LS 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

The car is nothing special; many compare it to Camry - Camry is a so-so either; gas mileage is never better than 24MPG with 50% highway; city is 18-19 MPG; visibility problem with right turns - right side window column and the mirror block a great deal of view; poor body assembly - uneven gaps around hood, trunk, rear lights, rear fender; poor acceleration uphill from 70 MPH up - probably due to 4 speed transmission (the engine is OK); some radio knobs are less responsive than others; the steering wheel "clicker" that tuns off the turn light when a turn is complete misses 7 times out of 10; requires a lot of room for a U turn; trunk is big but its opening is small.

Best of the Midsizers
By Sydspapa on 06/01/10 09:35 AM (PDT)

2009 Chevrolet Malibu Sedan LS 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

Traded in a 1999 Olds Aurora that I loved but the air had died. I drove all midsizers and Malibu beats them all hands down. I am 6'4" and 265 and have no problems getting in and being comfortable. This car is the quietest and not sure about the reviews on the visibility as I have not experienced any of those issues but I look over my shoulder when I change lanes. Sound quality of the radio is good and trunk space is good as well. The 4 cyl engine with 4 speed tranny works just fine for my driving requirements. Very impressed with this car so far.

The LS is a Very Good Value
By Scott on 04/28/10 12:52 PM (PDT)

2009 Chevrolet Malibu Sedan LS 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

Got the 4cyl. LS. Although the LS is the base trim the car is well equipped. I spend a lot of time on the interstate driving to work. The Malibu excels in this type of driving: it is very quit and gets good gas mileage. I have 35000 on my Malibu and have had zero problems. The OEM tires are still good. The driver seat has a small wear spot wher my wallet sits in my back pants pocket. For the money, this is a very good value. I need a reliable and pleasant vehicle to drive 90 miles everyday to work. The Malibu fits the bill.

May the best car win? Uh, not this one.
By Jeff B on 04/17/10 06:45 AM (PDT)

2009 Chevrolet Malibu Sedan LS 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

The 09 Chevy Malibu is a huge leap forward for GM, and it is world better than past GM cars I have driven. However, now that I have had it for 18 months or so, the problems have begun to appear, and the dealer (Royal Chevy in NJ) has been zero help. Now my dash lights don't work and that means NO speedometer. The right turn signal doesn't cancel itself, and it sounds like something is loose in the left front wheel well. Are these terrible, debilitating problems? Nope. But as I also drive a 3y/o Honda CR-V and 4 y/o Mazda Miata, the comparisons are striking. No problems at all with the Honda or Mazda and both drive much more smoothly.

The Edmunds TCO® estimated monthly insurance payment for a 2009 Chevrolet Malibu Sedan in VA is:

$126 per month*