Used 2009 Chevrolet Malibu LTZ Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2009 Chevrolet Malibu - Consumer Reviews

2009 Chevrolet Malibu Sedan

View reviews for a specific Malibu model:

Couldn't wait to get rid of it
By alfredcelmare

2009 Chevrolet Malibu Sedan LTZ 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

Problems (so far): Plastic rear bumper cover coming off -$350 to fix. Rear Passenger window not closing -$400. Factory Radio 'broken' does not work -$400. A/C, Fan will not blow in some settings -$600 Power Steering Pump Seal requires replacement -$1300.

Worst Car I have Ever Owned!
By sthrn05stnggrl

2009 Chevrolet Malibu Sedan LTZ 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

I bought this car new in Dec 2008. After having it just under a year, completely died on me when I was driving in my neighborhood. They had to replace a wiring harness in it. Then a year later the battery died. Another year later the car's transmission started to shift hard. They told me it was normal. I've had the car in & out of the shop since the end of January 2012, It is now almost the end of March and the car still is having issues. They replaced the torque converter, exhaust manafold, and the fuel injector wiring. Guess what? The car is now leaking pink fluid, hard shifting, and now there is a dull rattling sound coming from under the hood passenger side when ever the road is uneven

Favorite Features

The interior is the only thing I like about this car

Suggested Improvements

It is not reliable, to many electricle issues. Would not suggest anyone buy this car. We followed all the maintence schedules and had everything taken care of like we were suppposed and we have all of these horrible issues.

best four door on the market
By eriebuckeye

2009 Chevrolet Malibu Sedan LTZ 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

i have 24k miles on it and it drives like a dream. i get 38 mpg hwy and about 28 city. big trunk space. i also own a cadillac cts and this rides even better than it.

Favorite Features

smooth ride gas mileage blu tooth heated seats kick a$$ stereo 6 disc changer

Suggested Improvements

be able to change your own head light

2009 Malibu LTZ at 30K
By rbsj

2009 Chevrolet Malibu Sedan LTZ 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

I bought a new LTZ with the 6-cylinder in June 2009. It now has 30,000 miles on it and I would rate it excellent in almost every way. I have had zero problems with it. It has had no squeeks, rattles or operational problems of any nature. It averages over 31 mpg on the highway going 75 mph, and is very zippy (252 hp in a car the weighs 3,400 lbs). I would highly recommend the car.

Favorite Features

The mpg on the highway, quietness of interior noise, and zippiness.

Suggested Improvements

I wish the trunk opening was bigger. My driver and golf bag just squeeze in. Once in, it all works OK. I have carried four bags of clubs and four golfers to the course regularly.

Good but not excellent
By docj1

2009 Chevrolet Malibu Sedan LTZ 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

This LTZ is the first US car I've bought in over 30 years. Its reviews were very good and it lives up to most of them. For a 4-cylinder vehicle with modest power it is a lot of fun to drive. It is extremely quiet inside at all speeds. I get 25-26 mpg in a mix of largely suburban driving and I'm not easy on the throttle. Where the car falls short is in the quality of interior materials and its fit and finish. The interior plastics are extremely cheap, molded materials that scratch very easily. Interior trim pieces don't line up and snap together well. The overall effect is well below the level of Honda and Toyota.

Favorite Features

I love the Bluetooth connectivity--it works flawlessly with my Blackberry. The seats are quite comfortable and the heated seats and backs come up to temperature quickly on a cold day. A key factor in my decision to buy is the vehicle's ability to be towed behind an RV with all wheels "down." Very few cars with automatic transmissions can be towed in this manner. Given that I couldn't do this with most Honda's or Toyota's I am still satisfied with my purchase.

Suggested Improvements

Upgrade interior materials to the level of the competition. The cheap plastics are bad reminders of the "old GM."