Used 2009 Chevrolet Malibu LT1 Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2009 Chevrolet Malibu Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Malibu model:

V-6 Malibu 2009
By Raymond G. Hansen

2009 Chevrolet Malibu Sedan LT1 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

V-6 auto, all options except tire press. monitor. Amazing highway mileage,36MPG Imperial gallon @ 110kph. 24,000 km. NO mech. problems

Quiet ride, excellent smooth engine with lively performance. very good ride, with tires at 30 p.s.i., nice seats , large trunk but smallish opening into the trunk. "OnStar" is a good but somewhat xpensive feature .

ALL WHEEL DRIVE

Nice Car for the Price.
By chevy4life1

2009 Chevrolet Malibu Sedan LT1 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

We bought the car used at the Ford dealership where I work, so we were able to get less than what KBB suggested that it costs. We fell in love with the overall look to begin with. Both the sleak yet aggressive exterior and the luxury type interior. We have made a long distance run across two states on vacation so far, since we bought the car a month ago. It performed very well on hwy, we averaged around 27-28 due to hills and stop and go traffic. With the 2.4L it was a hesitation getting up hills and accelerating, so I slapped a Jet Performance module on there and saw improvement with acceleration and horsepower.

I love both the front end and the rear look of the car. Also the stylish wood grain on the interior. The instrument cluster seems better made, compared to what I was use to seeing in GM cars. The car rides like a dream and the steering is smooth.

The body reinforcement needs improving, the rear bumper is very flexible, not sturdy compared to other manufacturers. As mentioned by another the drink holders are positioned in wrong place between front seats. Also with other GM products simple repairs are made hard due to manufacturing, (headlights replacing a bulb...)

Bought and sold in under 2 months
By julie46

2009 Chevrolet Malibu Sedan LT1 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

Not at all impressed with the quality. Had it in the shop 3 times and when we traded it in the pasenger door still wouldnt open. Replaced latches on drivers side also. Tie rods were replaced because they were loose. replaced steering geer box. It thankfully was still under warrenty, but it only had 30,000 miles on it. Interior design is poor, the cup holders are set to far back and the second one is about useless because it sets back part way under arm rest. It looked nice and the mileage was excellent is the nice things I have to say. Probably wont buy American again.

Mileage and looks. Gold mist in color looks nice and is Great for not showing dirt!!

Quality

Impressed and not impressed
By wynne19

2009 Chevrolet Malibu Sedan LT1 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

I needed a vehicle that got better fuel mileage. I traded my 06 F150 crew cab in for this car. It has saved me alot of money so far. It get's 27/city at best. The whole car seems cheaply built compared to my f150. The transmission went out with less then 30,000 miles. At least gm fixed it for free. The "check fuel cap" comes on after every fuel fill up. I would recommend any body looking for a midsize car to check out the Ford Fusion first. I think they have better quality and reliability. I would recommend a Malibu as a second option.

Relatively good gas mileage, drives and handles well, good exterior design, interior fairly well designed, nice wheel covers

Get rid of the "cheap" feel. Transmission? Seats are cheap. Add power seats. Trunk opening very small.

Moldy smell
By wi_native

2009 Chevrolet Malibu Sedan LT1 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

When I first bought this car I really liked it. I thought I got a lot of features at an ok price. However the car has since developed a moldy smell in the heater & GM cannot/will not fix the problem. I've taken it to 3 dealerships to try & fix this. The original dealership refuses to admit there's a smell. The 2 subsequant admit there's a moldy smell but refuse to fix it & suggested I take it back to the original dealership for repairs. The last 2 places informed me that they might not get re-imbursed from GM for warranty work if some other dealer had already worked on the vehicle.

I'll never buy another GM product!!!