2009 Chevrolet Malibu - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Malibu model:
Couldn't wait to get rid of it
By alfredcelmare on 04/22/14 07:20 AM (PDT)

2009 Chevrolet Malibu LTZ 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

Problems (so far): Plastic rear bumper cover coming off -$350 to fix. Rear Passenger window not closing -$400. Factory Radio 'broken' does not work -$400. A/C, Fan will not blow in some settings -$600 Power Steering Pump Seal requires replacement -$1300.

No armrest padding
By pocprotec on 04/21/13 13:13 PM (PDT)

2009 Chevrolet Malibu Fleet 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

My 2009 Chevrolet Malibu hybrid has no armrest padding from the manufacturer. As a result, I have bursitis on one elbow. It also has Onstar but there is no compass in the car.

Overall
By malibu13 on 02/12/13 16:17 PM (PST)

2009 Chevrolet Malibu LT2 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

I am very disappointed in the trunk opening and very, very disappointed in the gasmileage for a car rated at 48 mpg that gives something between 25 & 35 mpg depending on the length of drive and weather conditions. Why no driving lights on the LT2 model?

Rims
By stacy1966 on 01/20/13 12:40 PM (PST)

2009 Chevrolet Malibu LS 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

I agree with the rims issue.Mine have made noise from the beginning so we had to take one off already and it was bent but still making a noise. am also very disappointed on the gas mileage.I can't seem to keep gas in it and I only drive around 10 miles daily. anyone else with this problem.

Great Car! Very Reliable
By johnnycars22 on 11/16/12 16:35 PM (PST)

2009 Chevrolet Malibu LS 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

I have had my car for 3 years and I have over 98,000 miles. I have had no problems with the car, it's been extremely reliable. I really enjoy owning an American product!

Automatic doors lock me inside
By kirby16 on 06/26/12 20:10 PM (PDT)

2009 Chevrolet Malibu LS 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

I bought my Malibu in March 2009. Started out great until winter. My doors started to bounce back open when shutting them. I took it to the garage and they said it just needed greased. I thought it was fixed (NOT). Shortly after the doors started to lock me inside. I pushed the OnStar button to unlock the doors and I could hear them unlock but the doors still would not open. My car has been in the garage multi times. 1) doors 2) transmission sensor (twice) 3) air bag sensor 4) tire pressure sensor I'm ready to trade this Lemon in for a different vehicle.

Nice Car for the Price.
By chevy4life1 on 06/18/12 13:40 PM (PDT)

2009 Chevrolet Malibu LT1 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

We bought the car used at the Ford dealership where I work, so we were able to get less than what KBB suggested that it costs. We fell in love with the overall look to begin with. Both the sleak yet aggressive exterior and the luxury type interior. We have made a long distance run across two states on vacation so far, since we bought the car a month ago. It performed very well on hwy, we averaged around 27-28 due to hills and stop and go traffic. With the 2.4L it was a hesitation getting up hills and accelerating, so I slapped a Jet Performance module on there and saw improvement with acceleration and horsepower.

Worst Car I have Ever Owned!
By sthrn05stnggrl on 03/19/12 12:33 PM (PDT)

2009 Chevrolet Malibu LTZ 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

I bought this car new in Dec 2008. After having it just under a year, completely died on me when I was driving in my neighborhood. They had to replace a wiring harness in it. Then a year later the battery died. Another year later the car's transmission started to shift hard. They told me it was normal. I've had the car in & out of the shop since the end of January 2012, It is now almost the end of March and the car still is having issues. They replaced the torque converter, exhaust manafold, and the fuel injector wiring. Guess what? The car is now leaking pink fluid, hard shifting, and now there is a dull rattling sound coming from under the hood passenger side when ever the road is uneven

Bought and sold in under 2 months
By julie46 on 02/28/12 06:25 AM (PST)

2009 Chevrolet Malibu LT1 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

Not at all impressed with the quality. Had it in the shop 3 times and when we traded it in the pasenger door still wouldnt open. Replaced latches on drivers side also. Tie rods were replaced because they were loose. replaced steering geer box. It thankfully was still under warrenty, but it only had 30,000 miles on it. Interior design is poor, the cup holders are set to far back and the second one is about useless because it sets back part way under arm rest. It looked nice and the mileage was excellent is the nice things I have to say. Probably wont buy American again.

best four door on the market
By eriebuckeye on 11/05/11 06:12 AM (PDT)

2009 Chevrolet Malibu LTZ 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

i have 24k miles on it and it drives like a dream. i get 38 mpg hwy and about 28 city. big trunk space. i also own a cadillac cts and this rides even better than it.

TCO® insurance data for this vehicle coming soon...

For an accurate quote, contact our trusted partner below.