2008 Chevrolet Malibu Fleet Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2008 Chevrolet Malibu - Consumer Reviews

2008 Malibu Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Malibu model:

Sort Reviews by

58,000 and still fun!
By Pete

2008 Chevrolet Malibu LT 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

Days after I purchased my '08 Malibu the right front brake kept seizing. The dealer had it almost a month and still couldn't figure out the problem. Finally another dealer in Mesa watched me drive and found the problem: The steering wheel, which I put low, was pinching a cable. Within a week a new part was installed. No problems since. I drive approx 70 mi r/t daily, and the gas mileage is really good. Comfort and style fantastic. On a 2 week trip up to Tacoma I never tired. Love the Sat radio, Onstar, etc. I'd buy another in a few years.

Favorite Features

XM radio, Onstar, seating, roominess, remote start.

Suggested Improvements

The "six-year" battery doesn't last long in Arizona; trunk opening could be wider; depth is OK but hgt could be better in trunk.

Great overall car
By al

2008 Chevrolet Malibu LT 4dr Sedan w/2LT (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

I love my 08 metallic black 2lt malibu. The exterior and interior are great looking, i have had people misjudge my malibu to be a Mercedes numerous times. car looks like it should cost a lot more. The 4cylinder is not a performance motor at all, gas mileage is decent in city 24.6 average but it is great on the highway. I can drive from new jersey to north carolina on 1 tank of gas. I have not had any quality issues, very reliable, trustworthy car. At 37,000 miles the car finally seems to have broken in it runs great I LOVE IT!

Favorite Features

XM, Onstar, interior, seats, exterior all the chrome accents, chevy symbols in the lights

Suggested Improvements

radio, engine power, trunk opening is too small, seat belt is to low for a tall driver

Good design, Poor quality
By JImbo

2008 Chevrolet Malibu LTZ 4dr Sedan (3.6L 6cyl 6A)

Have had 08 Malibu for 2 years. Fun to drive and ride, but overall quality poor. Problems so far include left front bearing, right front axle, trans seal, wiper motor, computer program, numerous rattles, and the latest is leak in back floorboard that non can find. Good design, but very poor quality. 2nd Chevy with quality problems, will never own another. Car has been in the shop 5 times in 2 years.

Favorite Features

Good gas mileage, driving comfort, fun to drive.

Suggested Improvements

Better quality control. Better mechanical construction.

I Still Love My Malibu!
By Bellemom

2008 Chevrolet Malibu LT 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

When I decided to buy a new car, I went back and forth between the Malibu and the Accord. I can't express how happy I am that I stayed loyal to the GM brand. My husband suggested I wait to write my review until I owned it for a longer period of time. I was ready to rave after week 1. Well, it's been well over 2 years and I am still raving. It's so fun to drive and I still look at it and think, That's a great looking car - inside and out. I have gotten many compliments on it. The ONLY things are I don't like about it: gas mileage not as great as I would like, and not sure how comfortable it would be on a long distance drive. The seats could probably have a little more support.

Favorite Features

The interior is very eye catching. Auxiliary input jack for my i-pod. Nice, roomy trunk.

Suggested Improvements

More comfortable seating

I love this car!
By My 'BU

2008 Chevrolet Malibu LTZ 4dr Sedan (3.6L 6cyl 6A)

So after an exhausting search of people movers I decided to get the Malibu. I didn't want new; let someone else worry about the depreciation. I wanted low miles and an extended warranty. My malibu is a 2.4 liter ltz. The exterior style is aggressive yet stylish. I love the nose and the rims. The interior with the 2 tone leather is so cool. The heated adjustable seats are amazing... a little firm but comfortable. The radio is awesome. Lots of bass and just loud enough. The lite blue gauges look soothing and the tachometer and sport shifter gives the car a sporty feel. The shifter makes the 2.4 seem quicker but the car is slow to pass A little rough on bumps and the steering is a little vague.

Favorite Features

Exterior/interior styling. Leather seats. Radio. Sunroof

Suggested Improvements

More powerful engine. Bought the car used with price in mind. I wish I had the 6 cylinder. No handle to lift the trunk I grab the tail light. I just bought the car so I cant honestly rate the reliability. Bought it with 22,000 miles and opted fer the extended warranty.

My Kind a Car.... Chevy...
By leethompson

2008 Chevrolet Malibu LTZ 4dr Sedan (3.6L 6cyl 6A)

As a long time Chevy man. I could only dream of a car like the Malibu. Always wanted luxury car with sport car feel. Who could afford that with 3 kids and wife. Now kids are all grown up. It's me time. Went car shopping. Look what I found. The 2008 Chevy Malibu ltz. The lord has answer my prayers after so many years. This car is just super. Best price - performance anyone would want. People stare and look at this car everyday. All my friends (many). Were so impressed . What a beautiful car. Turn the motor on get into the street with my 252 hp 24 valves. Smoke the road to no end. Get this car while they last. Mi thank you Chevy!

Favorite Features

2008 new Malibu body and its interior. Lovely. All who ride with me. Wow. This is really nice . I say thank you.

Suggested Improvements

Make this hot 252 horses. Get 30 mpg. I will trade mine in for another. Love at first ride.

Still love my 'Bu!
By Wick

2008 Chevrolet Malibu LTZ 4dr Sedan (3.6L 6cyl 6A)

I have put over 54K miles on my Malibu in just over 2 years and still have zero complaints. I LOVE this car! It still turns heads and I find the interior features nicer than that of my friends BMW's. The MPG has been better than expected, even with my 'lead foot'. The V6 is nice and I love the sporty feel while driving. I would recommend this car to anyone. Chevy did an amazing job with this design and I couldn't be happier with my purchase.

Favorite Features

There are really too many to detail, but I love the two-tone leather, the quickness of the V6, and even the little Chevy bow ties in the lights.

Suggested Improvements

The trunk is large, but the opening is a tad small. It's a bit hard to get much in the trunk with a baby stroller. Memory seats and dual control are the only features this car is lacking.

Traveling Student
By MASPharmD

2008 Chevrolet Malibu LS 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

I bought this car used at the end of June 2009 w/ 22,000 miles on it, right after GM bankruptcy and got a great deal for. The major attraction to me was MPG and it had an appealing interior, better than camry, altima, or accord and was priced way less. I purchased it to replace my Jeep Liberty b/c I was going to be traveling 50 miles to and from pharmacy school starting in the fall of 09 and the gas for my jeep would have bankrupted me. Overall, I love the car and have had few problems with it after driving it over 25,000 miles since June 09. It is a good car and looks way more expensive than it cost. Would recommend it to anyone.

Favorite Features

Interior lights, two tone interior, sleek exterior, smooth ride, MPG, stereo system

Suggested Improvements

More powerful engine(but MPG would probly suffer) Next time will go with 6 cylinder engine.

Not a good purchase
By msouth85

2008 Chevrolet Malibu LS 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

We bought our 2008 malibu with 4 miles when we test drove it. After driving across country a few times, at roughly 26k, the vehicle information control module had to be replaced. Now at just under 40k, the catalytic converter is plugged. Also, when cold the transmission will not shift out of first under heavy acceleration, causing the car to say service traction, turn off the traction control, and make the transmission shift very hard. This is the first chevy we have bought, and it will be the last.

Favorite Features

On-Star

Suggested Improvements

better quality parts all around, better fuel economy

GOOD Car, "SOFT" rims, BAD sound system
By Vic

2008 Chevrolet Malibu LT 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

I have almost 21K miles on it and I still like it. My wife likes the interior so when our lease for the 2004 Malibu was up we bought the 2008 model. It is not perfect but our dealer takes care of our complains promptly - minor like door striker misalignment and wrinkle door seal. The engine has sufficient power but has an audible drone when driving about 80mph, nice and quite at 70 mph. Two things I do not like in this car. (1) the sound produced by the oem stereo system in my 2001 Cavalier is generations better than the 2008 Malibu. (2) the steel wheel rims seems to bend easily. I had two of the rims repaired in two years - never happened in my Cavalier (9yrs), nor in the other Malibu (4yrs)

Favorite Features

Good looking cabin, quite interior, sufficient engine power, good fuel economy.

Suggested Improvements

Improve resistance to bending/deformation on the steel wheel rims. AND definitely better sound from the stereo system.