Used 2008 Chevrolet Malibu Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2008 Chevrolet Malibu - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Malibu model:

Great Car
By almadrid

2008 Chevrolet Malibu LT 4dr Sedan w/2LT (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

Excellent car for the money. Chose it over the Accord and Camry due to styling and performance. It is a very quiet car with the insulation and laminated glass that GM incorporates into these cars. Test ride one and you will be surprised on far GM has come in terms of quality and style. Being a prior Quality Assurance specialist in the defense industry I can attest to the quality built into this vehicle.

Favorite Features

Interior, XM, engine (V-6), trunk room, styling (interior and exterior), remote start, safety, and brakes

Suggested Improvements

Trunk has no outside handle or grip to open. It does have an interior handle to close but would prefer an outside handle. Add the option for navigation and back up sensors.

Surprised
By Jim

2008 Chevrolet Malibu LS 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

I bought this car to get out from under a Chevy truck. It was the best deal I could get at the time. I not a big fan of American cars, but the Malibu has surprised me. I get very good gas mpg, around 25 city and 33hy. Very quiet for a car under 21K. It has all the things you see in Toyoya, Honda, Nissan, etc. It's a mid size car but gets Honda cCvic gas mpg and is very quiet unlike the Honda. Toys are a different matter. I think they are a little better but this is subjective. I ride in both models (Malibu/Camry). Car fan is loud when set on 3 or higher. AC is OK, not great but gets the job done. I've had better. It takes a litte time to get use to but overall a good value for the money.

Favorite Features

Looks, in spite of everything, GM finally got the looks right. 17' wheels, large trunk (blocks view when backing up) I suspect this is common in all new cars.

Suggested Improvements

There's a blind spot on the right front passinger side.The part that separats the windsheld and doors is wider than you think.It blocks cars from you view.I almost hit a car that I did not see because of this.You must be very carful when turning into cross traffic.

Off the Showroom Floor
By Mars317

2008 Chevrolet Malibu LT 4dr Sedan w/2LT (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

I bought the new 2008 Malibu off the showroom and was pleased with all the extras. Heated seats, elect driver's seat, OnStar for the year. It works. A cell phone built in. I've never had so many options that I really like. Very comfortable ride. Something bad, the whole steering column and its motor had to be replaced. Very odd. Doesn't give me a good feeling.

Favorite Features

In the winter, the heated seats are really great because I have a very bad back. Also, I'm happy with the power of this 4 cyl engine. Good mileage.

Suggested Improvements

It needs a door handle on the inside. I'm constantly pulling the door shut from the bottom storage compartment. The door lock button hurts my arm when I rest it on the door. Bad placement. Small trunk opening/big trunk. No button cancel on the cruise..only your foot to the brake.

Malibu LT2
By Carrie

2008 Chevrolet Malibu LT 4dr Sedan w/2LT (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

Just bought the Malibu LT2 and love it! The interior is classy. The exterior isn't as boxy as prior models. Love the interior lighting. The sound system is good and I'm enjoying the XM radio. The amount of trunk space is incredible. I really love this car.

Favorite Features

6 CD changer, interior lighting, nice looking dash, and leather/suede seats. Lots of interior space.

Suggested Improvements

None at this time

New purchase
By lhlavenka

2008 Chevrolet Malibu LTZ 4dr Sedan (3.6L 6cyl 6A)

In response to gas prices I traded my beloved F150 for a 2008 Malibu 1LT. I had been looking for a few months & was contemplating an Equinox. In the end it came down to better mileage for the Malibu. After living with the car for a month I have two complaints. I'm 6'1". weigh 230 and am 74 years old. In and out of the drivers seat is a bit of a grunt. Also while the trunk is large the lid is really small. Other than that it is a very good machine. Seats & drivers position are good. The interior seems well laid out. Everything works as it should (only 1000 miles). I do like the fold down rear seats. Makes packing for a vacation (we don't leave much home) easy. It is very quiet.

Favorite Features

Fold down rear seats. The interior is very quiet.

Suggested Improvements

Larger trunk lid.