Used 2007 Chevrolet Malibu Sedan Consumer Reviews - 53 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2007 Chevrolet Malibu Sedan - Consumer Reviews

2007 Chevrolet Malibu Sedan

View reviews for a specific Malibu model:

This car is a maintenance nightmare
By Robert Reed

2007 Chevrolet Malibu Sedan LT 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

When I look at the comments from the first year of ownership from individuals who bought this vehicle new, I see many good comments. The complains come from individuals as the 2007 Malibu acquires some age and mileage and many, many of the complains are the very same I have experienced. We have replace the intermediate steering wheel shaft three times (this is what causes the rattle under the dashboard at 45 MPH many owners describe here), we have replaced the $1600 electronic power steering unit (this is a frequent complaint), we replaced a defective oil filter bracket (a 26 year Chevrolet Service Department Manager said this was a very poor design), we have had the issue with the passenger side air bag/seat belt light going off and on that many people describe as well and recently experience the issue with our fuel gauge needle moving up and down, the gas low chime going off and finally it failed the emissions testing in our county in TN because the fuel gauge issue was really due to the fuel sending unit actually in the gas tank that was defective (as well as the fuel pump) and it cost me $700 to have it fixed. While being repaired for that issue I asked my mechanic to determine why the heat had stopped working recently and they found the water pump was leading coolant. Sadly, this car is one of the best looking vehicles I have ever owned, it offers a very comfortable ride and has a great engine with great pickup but the thousands of dollars in repairs I have spent on it will insure I don't by a Chevrolet product when my wife and I buy two new vehicles cash in two years when we retire. My work car is a 2000 Malibu and besides the ignition switch recall, I've never spent any repair money on it except for normal tires, brakes, tune up, routine maintenance items.

I absolutely love my car!
By bm231

2007 Chevrolet Malibu Sedan LS Fleet 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 4A)

I'm a full time college student and live an hour away from school, & I also work 30 minutes away from home. Living in MI, where our winter roads are treacherous and you'd usually buy a vehicle with 4WD. My car has never failed me and has always been 100% reliable, even with a 1 day drive across the nation to FL. The only downer I've experienced is my gas Guage being broken on E.

Death trap & money pit
By v85

2007 Chevrolet Malibu Sedan LS 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 4A)

This is a horrible car. Not long after I bought it, the steering rack had to be replaced (ended up being replaced 4x in under a year). I had to replace the sway bars and the brake pads were warped - keep in mind this was all at 30k-40k miles. Even better? At 63k miles, the engine light came on because the thermostat was broken.
Also, in 1 month, I received 2 recalls - one has to do with the brakes, the other has to do with the transmission.
In 5.5 yrs, I put almost $2500 in keeping this thing running. I recently traded it off for a foreign car.
Thanks for the solid work, GM!

Everything

I'm Going Back to Toyotas
By dlb9

2007 Chevrolet Malibu Sedan LTZ 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

My Malibu is comfortable, it drives well, but the fuel sensor broke at around 60,000 miles, and now it is clunking when I turn.
I inherited this car -- it's only the second Chevy I've owned, and when I buy a new car, I'm going back to Toyotas.
I could put 200,000 miles on those cars before having the issues I'm having with this Malibu.

Regret this purchase GM
By dmt1968

2007 Chevrolet Malibu Sedan SS 4dr Sedan (3.9L 6cyl 4A)

This is my second Malibu. I bought this one because I was so pleased with my '03. This '07 is a big let down. At only 52k miles, I have many problems. Gas gage doesn't work, Transmission slams and slips gears, Grinding noise in the front wheels (breaks are fine). I've kept up on all of my scheduled maintances, and of course the power-tran warranty ran out at 5 yrs. I guess GM planned that out well. The dealer swears they can't find a thing wrong with the transmission, but I really don't think you should feel like someone rear ended you when you come to a stop.
And, I hate that the transmission is a closed system, can't even check the fluid without taking it to a mechanic.

I bought this car because of the sporty look. It's a 4-door, but it's very sporty looking with the dual exhaust, sunroof, fog lights etc.

Extend the power-tran warranty to 100k or 10 yrs. A GM car should be dependable enough to make it through 50,000 miles without engine or transmission problems. GM should be more willing to bail us as consumers out, just like we've bailed them out ...more than once!