Used 2007 Chevrolet Malibu Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2007 Chevrolet Malibu - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Malibu model:

Death trap & money pit
By v85

2007 Chevrolet Malibu LS 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 4A)

This is a horrible car. Not long after I bought it, the steering rack had to be replaced (ended up being replaced 4x in under a year). I had to replace the sway bars and the brake pads were warped - keep in mind this was all at 30k-40k miles. Even better? At 63k miles, the engine light came on because the thermostat was broken. Also, in 1 month, I received 2 recalls - one has to do with the brakes, the other has to do with the transmission. In 5.5 yrs, I put almost $2500 in keeping this thing running. I recently traded it off for a foreign car. Thanks for the solid work, GM!

Everything

I'm Going Back to Toyotas
By dlb9

2007 Chevrolet Malibu LTZ 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

My Malibu is comfortable, it drives well, but the fuel sensor broke at around 60,000 miles, and now it is clunking when I turn. I inherited this car -- it's only the second Chevy I've owned, and when I buy a new car, I'm going back to Toyotas. I could put 200,000 miles on those cars before having the issues I'm having with this Malibu.

Regret this purchase GM
By dmt1968

2007 Chevrolet Malibu SS 4dr Sedan (3.9L 6cyl 4A)

This is my second Malibu. I bought this one because I was so pleased with my '03. This '07 is a big let down. At only 52k miles, I have many problems. Gas gage doesn't work, Transmission slams and slips gears, Grinding noise in the front wheels (breaks are fine). I've kept up on all of my scheduled maintances, and of course the power-tran warranty ran out at 5 yrs. I guess GM planned that out well. The dealer swears they can't find a thing wrong with the transmission, but I really don't think you should feel like someone rear ended you when you come to a stop. And, I hate that the transmission is a closed system, can't even check the fluid without taking it to a mechanic.

I bought this car because of the sporty look. It's a 4-door, but it's very sporty looking with the dual exhaust, sunroof, fog lights etc.

Extend the power-tran warranty to 100k or 10 yrs. A GM car should be dependable enough to make it through 50,000 miles without engine or transmission problems. GM should be more willing to bail us as consumers out, just like we've bailed them out ...more than once!

are you crazy?
By idiots1

2007 Chevrolet Malibu LS Fleet 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 4A)

I purchased my Malibu used at 51,000 miles. The car did have a few little glitches, like the windshield wiper hub vibration(easily fixed) which was a manufacture defect. I fixed it with 2 sided tape 46,000 miles ago. No more vibration. After a few mods, like a new throttle body/ intake manifold and higher duration cams i got a regular 16 % millage increase and 42 more horses. That all cost me less than $1300. which brings the total up to $22,320. still a better value than the competition. The car handles great on the windy Adirondack mountain roads that I live on and is adequately aggressive in traffic. Although it could really do with a 6 speed, the car is still fast enough. Great Car.

Chevy bought me over with this car
By mvozz888

2007 Chevrolet Malibu LT 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 4A)

First of all I would like to say that I find it disappointing to read negative reviews on such a marvelous car. Anyone experiencing major engine or trans. issues has probably not serviced their vehicle at regular reccomended intervals. The 2.2 liter ecotec engine is incredibly economical, though it could use a few more horses. Before i purchased this car from my father, it had been used every day as a company car. My father is a salesman who is on the road daily with considerable amounts of extra cargo weight added. He was putting 500+ miles on it weekly. This car has had no issues with engine, transmission, torque conv, etc. It currently has 105,432 miles and still runs strong.

My favorite features are the massive trunk space, great gas mileage (34 mpg highway) and 28 city. Lots of legroom and extremely quiet while driving. The chevy malibu also has electronic steering instead of the usual power steering which I find very crisp and provides great driveablity. This car also sticks to the road and has available traction control during our insanely cold connecticut winters. For a 2wd car is performs suprisingly well in winter time driving situations.

I would suggest improving the awkward 4 speed transmission with torque converter. The concept is great and i can understand that the cars shift ratio is set up for good gas mileage but the malibu has an excessive love for low rpm bandwiths which can lead to almost a struggling of the engine to overcome steep inclines. I would also suggest that GM jump on the "not cheap interior" bandwagon and actually outfit the inside of their vehicles with quality items. Other than those mentioned above, the 2007 Chevy malibu is an extremely reliable car, great for a first car or family vehicle. I would suggest this car to any one of my friends or family members.