Used 2006 Chevrolet Malibu Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2006 Chevrolet Malibu - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Malibu model:

not a good deal in the long run
By horribu

2006 Chevrolet Malibu LS 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 4A)

I leased a 2006 Malibu in July of 06 and have currently only put 18,000 miles on it. It has already had significant transmission problems and suspension and steering problems. The windshield leaks, the cd player broke, the interior trim was gouged by a cardboard box! I am dissappointed in every way with this car. Initially I liked the exterior styling and the price, but I truly wish I had gotten something else. Now I am stuck with this car that is not as good as used cars I drove in college until my lease is up. I recently purchased a 2nd car from Nissan that is vastly Superior in quality and was the same price

If I have to pick a "favorite" thing about this vehicle it would be exterior styling.

It doesn't matter what improvements were made with the 08 Malibu, since I am not planning on purchasing another GM vehicle (even though I get the employee discount) I suppose it all comes down to poor quality though.

Doesn't stand out, but very good overall
By Submariner

2006 Chevrolet Malibu LT 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

After six months of ownership, I am very pleased with my 2006 Malibu LT V6. My two previous cars were a 1998 Malibu LS V6, and then a 2002 Ford Taurus SE. Compared to the 98, this picks up where they left off, the engine, going from the 3.1L to the 3.5L is great! The fuel mileage is fantastic (I average 450 miles out of a 16-gal tank on pure highway driving, whereas the Taurus was lucky to get 400 out of an 18-gal tank, and the Taurus had a smaller engine!) I thought the engine-transmission combination on the Malibu could use some extra gears, to keep up with the competition, but the transmission in the 2006 Malibu mates beautifully and provides excellent power on demand.

Interior fit & finish is a step in the right direction, the 2006 refresh steering wheel, chrome gauge & radio/climate control trim really set off the all- black interior. Ergonomics are great as well as the tilt/telescoping steering wheel. Great for long trips, awesome gas mileage.

Could benefit from standard power seats and foglights on the LT trim at the least. Also, would be nice with more gears on the transmission.

Snow white dream
By midlife love

2006 Chevrolet Malibu SS 4dr Sedan (3.9L 6cyl 4A)

This gem was the end result of a trade-in after a recent purchase of a mini-van. I canít say enough about this car. Super reliable and low maintenance. Great interior and exterior. Spoiler, sunroof, remote start, aluminum rims with 18Ē tires, 6-disk cd changer with XM radio, cruise control, leather/ cloth seats, leather steering wheel, and room for 5. Great car for any age. Sporty and family friendly. Great & fun drive. Super comfortable. 23-mpg city and 29-mpg highway driving 65 mph. I would buy this Super Sport again and again.

Great interior & exterior. Low maintenance. Super Sassy (SS).

Could improve on gas mileage. Wouldn't mind trading the XM radio for a HD system.

Totally surprised
By chev fan

2006 Chevrolet Malibu LT 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

I'd would like to say if you want a v6 with power that doesn't clean out the wallet. The Chevy Malibu LT v6 is the way to go. We get about 34.5 mpg going 65 mph on the highway. Great quality sound and remote start you can't beat specially in the cold. Sharp looking car and great gas miliage. New body style is totally upgraded from last. I would buy this car again.

Solid ride. Great gas mileage

Power seats

What a disappointment
By Hate Chevys Now

2006 Chevrolet Malibu SS 4dr Sedan (3.9L 6cyl 4A)

Wow! I loved the style. I loved the deal. But like mama always said "that which is too good to be true, probably is". After 8 trips to the dealer, they are finally replacing the steering colunm, brake rotors, tie rod ends, ball joints, and brake rotors. These have all gone bad within the 16215 miles I have driven this year. This car rattles, shakes and shimmys its way down the road with great style. Too bad it has a four speed auto when most others have a 6spd auto. I cannot wait to get rid of this car, but its value is still plummeting like a comet falling from the sky. If build quality and rattles with no hint of dealer help do not bother you, please buy mine, it is for sale.

XM radio, Sunroof, exterior style.

Bad quality, poor dealer support, poor reliability.