Used 2006 Chevrolet Malibu Consumer Reviews - 103 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2006 Chevrolet Malibu - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Malibu model:

I have 2
By rcran

2006 Chevrolet Malibu LS 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 4A)

I have 2 '06 LS models bought a month apart. The only difference on mine is traction loc and ABS. I get 32mpg ave. city/hywy combined. My other one gets 34mpg combined. Mine has 35k the other is a little over 40k. Only problems have been to replace a sensor, and turn the front rotors on one and a replacement rod in the steering on the other, oh and one tail light...all covered by warranty. Great little car, lousy Bridgestone OE tires. Barely enough grip, the one with 40k+ will get new shoes soon.

Easy to steer and steering wheel tilts and goes in and out. Front and side air bags.

Better OE tires, both of mine have the same Bridgestones and they are barely adequate. Needs two more speakers and lumbar support for both front seats.

Nice car but has some problems
By bryan

2006 Chevrolet Malibu LT 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

Have 70k miles on it, has a rattle that wont quit, remote start works most of the time but is getting worse, turns over just isnt firing. Electric power steering has completely quit working on a 250 mile trip, started working 10 miles from the dealership, quit working again today from work to home, they said since I have been reporting lots of the same problems they will fix it. They also told me one time at 40,000k that my injectors were leaking, they don't even now how the car works that they make, it idles high in mornings or when it's cold to warm up faster, and they wanted me to pay for it, it also eats the inside of the front tires like candy since it was new.

Sunroof, gas mileage

Fix the problems they know about

not a good deal in the long run
By horribu

2006 Chevrolet Malibu LS 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 4A)

I leased a 2006 Malibu in July of 06 and have currently only put 18,000 miles on it. It has already had significant transmission problems and suspension and steering problems. The windshield leaks, the cd player broke, the interior trim was gouged by a cardboard box! I am dissappointed in every way with this car. Initially I liked the exterior styling and the price, but I truly wish I had gotten something else. Now I am stuck with this car that is not as good as used cars I drove in college until my lease is up. I recently purchased a 2nd car from Nissan that is vastly Superior in quality and was the same price

If I have to pick a "favorite" thing about this vehicle it would be exterior styling.

It doesn't matter what improvements were made with the 08 Malibu, since I am not planning on purchasing another GM vehicle (even though I get the employee discount) I suppose it all comes down to poor quality though.

Doesn't stand out, but very good overall
By Submariner

2006 Chevrolet Malibu LT 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

After six months of ownership, I am very pleased with my 2006 Malibu LT V6. My two previous cars were a 1998 Malibu LS V6, and then a 2002 Ford Taurus SE. Compared to the 98, this picks up where they left off, the engine, going from the 3.1L to the 3.5L is great! The fuel mileage is fantastic (I average 450 miles out of a 16-gal tank on pure highway driving, whereas the Taurus was lucky to get 400 out of an 18-gal tank, and the Taurus had a smaller engine!) I thought the engine-transmission combination on the Malibu could use some extra gears, to keep up with the competition, but the transmission in the 2006 Malibu mates beautifully and provides excellent power on demand.

Interior fit & finish is a step in the right direction, the 2006 refresh steering wheel, chrome gauge & radio/climate control trim really set off the all- black interior. Ergonomics are great as well as the tilt/telescoping steering wheel. Great for long trips, awesome gas mileage.

Could benefit from standard power seats and foglights on the LT trim at the least. Also, would be nice with more gears on the transmission.

Snow white dream
By midlife love

2006 Chevrolet Malibu SS 4dr Sedan (3.9L 6cyl 4A)

This gem was the end result of a trade-in after a recent purchase of a mini-van. I can’t say enough about this car. Super reliable and low maintenance. Great interior and exterior. Spoiler, sunroof, remote start, aluminum rims with 18” tires, 6-disk cd changer with XM radio, cruise control, leather/ cloth seats, leather steering wheel, and room for 5. Great car for any age. Sporty and family friendly. Great & fun drive. Super comfortable. 23-mpg city and 29-mpg highway driving 65 mph. I would buy this Super Sport again and again.

Great interior & exterior. Low maintenance. Super Sassy (SS).

Could improve on gas mileage. Wouldn't mind trading the XM radio for a HD system.