Used 2006 Chevrolet Malibu Consumer Reviews - 103 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2006 Chevrolet Malibu - Consumer Reviews

2006 Chevrolet Malibu

View reviews for a specific Malibu model:

Never again
By zleach

2006 Chevrolet Malibu LS 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 4A)

When this car was purchased we had a few minor kinks that the dealership was to mend, but of course things just got worse. After having it only 3 months they had to repalce the steering rack, shortly after both drive axles, not to mention the 2 brake jobs within 10K miles of each other. The steering and suspension is awful. Rear wheel bearings, and much more. The car loves the left side of the road due to lower ball joints not wanting to hold up. $200 apiece. And not to mention the tires wear awfully quick when they go bad 3 front tires within 20K of each other

The exterior is the only thing I like about this car. Very stylish, but lacks drivabilty quality

Redesign suspension layout, and don't use cheap parts.

Great Car
By Lumber Baron

2006 Chevrolet Malibu LS 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 4A)

Leased this car 3 yrs ago & have nearly 36k on it now. Lease will end in April and I may just buy it as it has been all that I could ask for & more. Just one trip back to the dealer for warranty work - dim light in radio & clunk in steering. Fixed both in about 1/2 hr. I tracked the mileage for the 1st 30k, recording every gallon used. Averaged 29.8 mpg for the 3 yrs & got as high as 40 mpg on 1 trip. Just returned from 2500 mile trip with 4 adults & trunk full of luggage. Averaged 30.2 mpg for the trip. This has been a great car, adequate performance, good ride, reliable, trouble free. Well thought out interior with lots of room. I much prefer it to my wifes 08 Saturn Aura XR.

Great value for the price - very well equipped for a base model. Awesome gas mileage, trouble free driving. Seats are very comfortable, as is the ride. I like the electric power steering over the pump type on wife's car - much lighter to turn.

Better hold open device on front doors - they don't stay open very well. Headlights tend to vibrate - common problem. That's all I can think of!

Nice Car
By John

2006 Chevrolet Malibu LT 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

I test drove a lot of cars and wanted best bang for my buck. This car runs great and gets great gas mileage (around 26 average/30 highway). Bought it with 70k and only put brakes and rotors. Did it myself for 80 bucks. I have 86k on it now and have had no problems. I have two kids and they fit in car seats in the back with no problem and have plenty of trunk space to boot. I tinted the windows and the car looks great and runs fantastic. People who ride in it can't believe it is a Malibu. Great car.

V6 power, V4 gas mileage. Looks and interior space. Reliability and remote start.

None.

Bye Bye GM
By Chevy Lemon

2006 Chevrolet Malibu LT 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

Rotors at 6K, lot rust..not, headlights shake, both units are loose, tap on the lense, you'll see, no GM fix! Tie rods replaced at 12K along with rotors, again! Power train control module, door latches, security system, horn blows all by itself, check engine light, thermostat, blows all over the road, wind & road noise, car shakes so bad the visors move, rattles, clunking under the floor & pedals, 34K & going for another rotor "fix" as we speak #7, you can only file them so many times, replacement might work but no, tires are junk, told I needed 30K on them before they will replace under my warranty. What! No wonder GM is going under. Worst car ever. A roach! So much for "Buy American"!

Gosh, I'm trying to find something good to say but it's just not happening. Used to think it was the remote start but even that only works sporadically. Not enough room above to continue with complaints but there are many! Careful if you buy a used Malibu under 34K it just might be my trade in!

Customer Service might help, GM headquarters has never responded to survey's I've sent back to them at their request after warranty work was done. I've also sent letters on two occasions along with many surveys & still no response from them or the dealership to date. Stand behind your warranties!

Good Car for the Price After 2 years
By lizzard

2006 Chevrolet Malibu LS 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 4A)

This car is a nice size and the interior looks better than my Geo. I really like the faux wood look. I like the boxy look better than the previous Malibus. The MPG (about 26/32) has served me well in the last several months. I mostly drive to and from work and church and have only gone on 3 or 4 long trips. I have the bare bones version, so no OnStar or sunroof or ABS, but the car still runs very well. There is a rattle in the dash and my friend told me she heard a rattle in the back on top after she sat back there. The sun visor on the driver side does not go up properly. I haven't asked about getting anything fixed though. I miss manual trans sometimes, but overall this car makes me happy

Cruise control, price, MPG, comfortable, roomy, dependability, power windows and locks

Rattling noise fix, sun visor fix