Used 2006 Chevrolet Malibu Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2006 Chevrolet Malibu - Consumer Reviews

2006 Chevrolet Malibu

View reviews for a specific Malibu model:

Nice Car
By John

2006 Chevrolet Malibu LT 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

I test drove a lot of cars and wanted best bang for my buck. This car runs great and gets great gas mileage (around 26 average/30 highway). Bought it with 70k and only put brakes and rotors. Did it myself for 80 bucks. I have 86k on it now and have had no problems. I have two kids and they fit in car seats in the back with no problem and have plenty of trunk space to boot. I tinted the windows and the car looks great and runs fantastic. People who ride in it can't believe it is a Malibu. Great car.

Favorite Features

V6 power, V4 gas mileage. Looks and interior space. Reliability and remote start.

Suggested Improvements

None.

Bye Bye GM
By Chevy Lemon

2006 Chevrolet Malibu LT 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

Rotors at 6K, lot rust..not, headlights shake, both units are loose, tap on the lense, you'll see, no GM fix! Tie rods replaced at 12K along with rotors, again! Power train control module, door latches, security system, horn blows all by itself, check engine light, thermostat, blows all over the road, wind & road noise, car shakes so bad the visors move, rattles, clunking under the floor & pedals, 34K & going for another rotor "fix" as we speak #7, you can only file them so many times, replacement might work but no, tires are junk, told I needed 30K on them before they will replace under my warranty. What! No wonder GM is going under. Worst car ever. A roach! So much for "Buy American"!

Favorite Features

Gosh, I'm trying to find something good to say but it's just not happening. Used to think it was the remote start but even that only works sporadically. Not enough room above to continue with complaints but there are many! Careful if you buy a used Malibu under 34K it just might be my trade in!

Suggested Improvements

Customer Service might help, GM headquarters has never responded to survey's I've sent back to them at their request after warranty work was done. I've also sent letters on two occasions along with many surveys & still no response from them or the dealership to date. Stand behind your warranties!

Good Car for the Price After 2 years
By lizzard

2006 Chevrolet Malibu LS 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 4A)

This car is a nice size and the interior looks better than my Geo. I really like the faux wood look. I like the boxy look better than the previous Malibus. The MPG (about 26/32) has served me well in the last several months. I mostly drive to and from work and church and have only gone on 3 or 4 long trips. I have the bare bones version, so no OnStar or sunroof or ABS, but the car still runs very well. There is a rattle in the dash and my friend told me she heard a rattle in the back on top after she sat back there. The sun visor on the driver side does not go up properly. I haven't asked about getting anything fixed though. I miss manual trans sometimes, but overall this car makes me happy

Favorite Features

Cruise control, price, MPG, comfortable, roomy, dependability, power windows and locks

Suggested Improvements

Rattling noise fix, sun visor fix

I have 2
By rcran

2006 Chevrolet Malibu LS 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 4A)

I have 2 '06 LS models bought a month apart. The only difference on mine is traction loc and ABS. I get 32mpg ave. city/hywy combined. My other one gets 34mpg combined. Mine has 35k the other is a little over 40k. Only problems have been to replace a sensor, and turn the front rotors on one and a replacement rod in the steering on the other, oh and one tail light...all covered by warranty. Great little car, lousy Bridgestone OE tires. Barely enough grip, the one with 40k+ will get new shoes soon.

Favorite Features

Easy to steer and steering wheel tilts and goes in and out. Front and side air bags.

Suggested Improvements

Better OE tires, both of mine have the same Bridgestones and they are barely adequate. Needs two more speakers and lumbar support for both front seats.

Nice car but has some problems
By bryan

2006 Chevrolet Malibu LT 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

Have 70k miles on it, has a rattle that wont quit, remote start works most of the time but is getting worse, turns over just isnt firing. Electric power steering has completely quit working on a 250 mile trip, started working 10 miles from the dealership, quit working again today from work to home, they said since I have been reporting lots of the same problems they will fix it. They also told me one time at 40,000k that my injectors were leaking, they don't even now how the car works that they make, it idles high in mornings or when it's cold to warm up faster, and they wanted me to pay for it, it also eats the inside of the front tires like candy since it was new.

Favorite Features

Sunroof, gas mileage

Suggested Improvements

Fix the problems they know about