Used 2006 Chevrolet Malibu Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2006 Chevrolet Malibu - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Malibu model:

Most Helpful|
I love my SS
By nmartinez

2006 Chevrolet Malibu SS 4dr Sedan (3.9L 6cyl 4A)

I bought my 06 Chevy Malibu SS last year. It had 21K mi on it and came from Louisiana. I've had it for exactly 1 year now, it has 40K mi on it and runs perfectly. I've never had a problem with this car. The only fluid I had to refill was Anti-freeze and I did that at 30K mi. So no big. The car has yet to disappoint me. This is my first Chevy, and it performs excellent in all the elements. Which is a plus, because Missouri weather is always unpredictable. The only thing I wish it could do better on is gas mileage. I get around 19-22 city and 26-28 hwy. But...it has a 3.9 L engine so I'm happy with what I get.

Favorite Features

I love the interior, it has a large backseat and has spacious trunk...which if you look from the compact exterior it's deceiving. I really like the instrument panels as well. Very sharp interior and exterior on the Malibu SS.

All bad rewiews correct steering
By Toyotafan

2006 Chevrolet Malibu LTZ 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

I bought the car for my wife since her 1996 Ford Taurus was on its last leg. So we drove a used Malibu. Seemed great compared to what we had and a decent price. 1 month later the steering had a knock in it when you turned the wheel parked or at low speeds. Very common problem in many Chevy trucks as well. Dealer ship did a quick fix, and 2 months later it reappeared. Now if I want piece of mind for a real fix $500. Chevrolet has gone down hill with products over last 10 years. Do not buy this car unless you have no other choice. Great power from engine is only good quality about it.

Favorite Features

Engine

Suggested Improvements

Drive train, steering, interior, how about a quick retirement option for this model.

It's A Sad Story
By Joan

2006 Chevrolet Malibu LT 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

Purchased this car in July of 2006 brand new.When I took it for a test drive I instantly fell in love.Little did I know what I was headed for. Turned into a full blown relationship with the dealership.I don't blame them.The service department is great!!! 9/06-Rustproofing was done. It's rusting. 1/07-Crankshaft was replaced. 11/07-Need new tires already. 10/08-Steering I-Shaft replaced, new rear brakes. 11/08-I-Shaft replaced again! 8/09-Replaced strut mounts, bearings and ball joints. 3/10-I-Shaft,ball joint,shaft kit and alignment.Tires are "Cupped" and need replacing due to road conditions. Bull, researched and found the problem is due to the struts and suspension.

Favorite Features

Love the driver seat. Feels like your driving in a Nascar.

Suggested Improvements

Stand by your product. Admit it's a defect with the vehicle and repair what should be repaired to avoid further problems at the consumers cost.

Worst car ever (And I have had some real winners!)
By snowwhite24

2006 Chevrolet Malibu LT 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 4A)

I bought this 2006 Malibu LT in January of 2009 with about 60,000 miles on it. So far...front shocks replaced, crack in the intake manifold fixed, controller arms replaced, rear shocks replaced, new tires 3 times in 3 years, etc. Just last week, had head replaced and now they are saying it is actually a crack in the engine block. Car needs a whole new motor. The windshield buzzes because the cowel (sp?) piece is warped. It eats CD's and won't give them back. This car has been the bane of my existence for the last 3 years. I would never ever ever recommend anyone buy a Malibu. And GM just lost a repeat customer. I will never buy GM again. I have had enough.

Favorite Features

There is nothing exceptionally special about this car except what a big pile of junk it turned out to be. I owned a Lumina prior to this and that was by far the best car I have ever owned. When did GM start making such horribly crappy cars?

Suggested Improvements

Scrap it and start over.

love my 06 LT V6 Malibu
By cody9357

2006 Chevrolet Malibu LT 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

Purchased my 2006 Malibu with only 81K miles on it, 12000 miles later i still love it. i haven't had any problems with the vehicle other than regular maintenance. there are a few recalls on the vehicle but Chevrolet is taking care of that for me but if you are looking for a family vehicle with a little get up and go then I recommend this vehicle. also I am averaging about 25 miles per gallon if I keep my foot out of the gas pedal. I am 5'9" and with my driver seat adjusted there is plenty of leg room for my rear passengers to be comfortably seated.

Favorite Features

the stock radio is really nice even though it isn't bose or jbl. the power of the V6 engine. seems like it takes no time to go from 55mph to 85 mph just passing someone who is driving a little too slow.

Suggested Improvements

the ride quality of the vehicle could be improved seems like I can feel almost every tiny bump in the road it may be my tires but seeing as I have brand new tires I doubt that is the cause. also a rear arm rest would be a big plus although I don't ride in the back seat very often the option would still be nice to have.