Used 2006 Chevrolet Malibu Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2006 Chevrolet Malibu - Consumer Reviews

2006 Chevrolet Malibu

View reviews for a specific Malibu model:

I love my SS
By nmartinez

2006 Chevrolet Malibu SS 4dr Sedan (3.9L 6cyl 4A)

I bought my 06 Chevy Malibu SS last year. It had 21K mi on it and came from Louisiana. I've had it for exactly 1 year now, it has 40K mi on it and runs perfectly. I've never had a problem with this car. The only fluid I had to refill was Anti-freeze and I did that at 30K mi. So no big. The car has yet to disappoint me. This is my first Chevy, and it performs excellent in all the elements. Which is a plus, because Missouri weather is always unpredictable. The only thing I wish it could do better on is gas mileage. I get around 19-22 city and 26-28 hwy. But...it has a 3.9 L engine so I'm happy with what I get.

Favorite Features

I love the interior, it has a large backseat and has spacious trunk...which if you look from the compact exterior it's deceiving. I really like the instrument panels as well. Very sharp interior and exterior on the Malibu SS.

Superb Vehicle
By Randy H

2006 Chevrolet Malibu LT 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

This was my second Malibu - had a 2004 totalled in accident. Loved the 2004 so much I wanted nothing else besides another Malibu. Have had it over two years and put 52,000 miles on it, and never had it in the shop other than routine maintanence like oil changes and tire rotations. It gets better gas mileage than even some 4-cylinder engines.

Favorite Features

Sound quality for a factory stereo is exceptional, best I've heard in a standard family sedan. Manual shift buttons are nice, and hard to find. A/C cools quick.

Suggested Improvements

Car is not the most comfortable. Seats are too firm. Wish the adjustable pedals were standard, miss those from my '04 Malibu. CD Player, although sounds great, is very picky. Some CDs won't play, even though they work in other players. Overall, though, this car has little improvement needed.

$22000 Junk
By MALIBU

2006 Chevrolet Malibu LT 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

Bought this car with 19,000 miles on it when it was a year old. Had to have steering gear replaced under warranty at 35,000 miles and now at 66,000 miles it needs replaced again. The rear tires which have good tread make such a noise in cabin it's terrible. Actually sounds like bad bearings. Today the dash evidently developed a short in instrument panel as the gas gauge quit and the temp gauge goes 0 to half then back again. This car cost approximately $23,000 new and at 2 yrs old and 66,000 miles it is going to start costing me due to evidently cheap parts. Chevy lost a repeat customer due to this car of poor quality. Toyota here I come.

Suggested Improvements

For $23,000 you should build a car that can at least run 100,000 miles before it becomes a problem.

Never again
By zleach

2006 Chevrolet Malibu LS 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 4A)

When this car was purchased we had a few minor kinks that the dealership was to mend, but of course things just got worse. After having it only 3 months they had to repalce the steering rack, shortly after both drive axles, not to mention the 2 brake jobs within 10K miles of each other. The steering and suspension is awful. Rear wheel bearings, and much more. The car loves the left side of the road due to lower ball joints not wanting to hold up. $200 apiece. And not to mention the tires wear awfully quick when they go bad 3 front tires within 20K of each other

Favorite Features

The exterior is the only thing I like about this car. Very stylish, but lacks drivabilty quality

Suggested Improvements

Redesign suspension layout, and don't use cheap parts.

Great Car
By Lumber Baron

2006 Chevrolet Malibu LS 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 4A)

Leased this car 3 yrs ago & have nearly 36k on it now. Lease will end in April and I may just buy it as it has been all that I could ask for & more. Just one trip back to the dealer for warranty work - dim light in radio & clunk in steering. Fixed both in about 1/2 hr. I tracked the mileage for the 1st 30k, recording every gallon used. Averaged 29.8 mpg for the 3 yrs & got as high as 40 mpg on 1 trip. Just returned from 2500 mile trip with 4 adults & trunk full of luggage. Averaged 30.2 mpg for the trip. This has been a great car, adequate performance, good ride, reliable, trouble free. Well thought out interior with lots of room. I much prefer it to my wifes 08 Saturn Aura XR.

Favorite Features

Great value for the price - very well equipped for a base model. Awesome gas mileage, trouble free driving. Seats are very comfortable, as is the ride. I like the electric power steering over the pump type on wife's car - much lighter to turn.

Suggested Improvements

Better hold open device on front doors - they don't stay open very well. Headlights tend to vibrate - common problem. That's all I can think of!