2006 Chevrolet Malibu Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Malibu model:
not a good deal in the long run
By horribu on 04/08/08 09:26 AM (PDT)

2006 Chevrolet Malibu Sedan LS 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 4A)

I leased a 2006 Malibu in July of 06 and have currently only put 18,000 miles on it. It has already had significant transmission problems and suspension and steering problems. The windshield leaks, the cd player broke, the interior trim was gouged by a cardboard box! I am dissappointed in every way with this car. Initially I liked the exterior styling and the price, but I truly wish I had gotten something else. Now I am stuck with this car that is not as good as used cars I drove in college until my lease is up. I recently purchased a 2nd car from Nissan that is vastly Superior in quality and was the same price

Doesn't stand out, but very good overall
By Submariner on 01/05/08 11:00 AM (PST)

2006 Chevrolet Malibu Sedan LT 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

After six months of ownership, I am very pleased with my 2006 Malibu LT V6. My two previous cars were a 1998 Malibu LS V6, and then a 2002 Ford Taurus SE. Compared to the 98, this picks up where they left off, the engine, going from the 3.1L to the 3.5L is great! The fuel mileage is fantastic (I average 450 miles out of a 16-gal tank on pure highway driving, whereas the Taurus was lucky to get 400 out of an 18-gal tank, and the Taurus had a smaller engine!) I thought the engine-transmission combination on the Malibu could use some extra gears, to keep up with the competition, but the transmission in the 2006 Malibu mates beautifully and provides excellent power on demand.

Snow white dream
By midlife love on 11/09/07 20:55 PM (PST)

2006 Chevrolet Malibu Sedan SS 4dr Sedan (3.9L 6cyl 4A)

This gem was the end result of a trade-in after a recent purchase of a mini-van. I can’t say enough about this car. Super reliable and low maintenance. Great interior and exterior. Spoiler, sunroof, remote start, aluminum rims with 18” tires, 6-disk cd changer with XM radio, cruise control, leather/ cloth seats, leather steering wheel, and room for 5. Great car for any age. Sporty and family friendly. Great & fun drive. Super comfortable. 23-mpg city and 29-mpg highway driving 65 mph. I would buy this Super Sport again and again.

Totally surprised
By chev fan on 10/28/07 20:03 PM (PDT)

2006 Chevrolet Malibu Sedan LT 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

I'd would like to say if you want a v6 with power that doesn't clean out the wallet. The Chevy Malibu LT v6 is the way to go. We get about 34.5 mpg going 65 mph on the highway. Great quality sound and remote start you can't beat specially in the cold. Sharp looking car and great gas miliage. New body style is totally upgraded from last. I would buy this car again.

What a disappointment
By Hate Chevys Now on 10/14/07 17:50 PM (PDT)

2006 Chevrolet Malibu Sedan SS 4dr Sedan (3.9L 6cyl 4A)

Wow! I loved the style. I loved the deal. But like mama always said "that which is too good to be true, probably is". After 8 trips to the dealer, they are finally replacing the steering colunm, brake rotors, tie rod ends, ball joints, and brake rotors. These have all gone bad within the 16215 miles I have driven this year. This car rattles, shakes and shimmys its way down the road with great style. Too bad it has a four speed auto when most others have a 6spd auto. I cannot wait to get rid of this car, but its value is still plummeting like a comet falling from the sky. If build quality and rattles with no hint of dealer help do not bother you, please buy mine, it is for sale.

2006 Malibu-"Just a Car"
By dannielle boilard on 08/24/07 08:35 AM (PDT)

2006 Chevrolet Malibu Sedan LS 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 4A)

I traded my 2002 Olds Intrigue for the 2006 Malibu which is a roomy small car. It is very light and blows around on the highway...over 100 kph is almost dangerous. I don't drive on the freeway because I can't keep up with the regular flow of traffic which is faster than that. I saved some money by trading in my Olds, but I know that I traded my Automobile for "just a car". It is way below the standard of comfort and performance that I was used to. I can't wait for the lease to end so that I can get rid of it.

Fastest Mid Size Car I Ever Drove
By steve,douglass on 08/13/07 22:09 PM (PDT)

2006 Chevrolet Malibu Sedan LTZ 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

I had the car a month. I love it. I like the handling, the style, the performance, and the quick pick up on the highway. And all the standard features which got me the most. It is a very sporty looking and very classy looking as well. The interior is very comfortable, more comfortablel than the Camry. For a 6 cyclinder car the gas mileage is not as bad as I thought it would be. Bottom line it's a great car and I highly recommend it.

Wife's new '06 Malibu LS 4DR
By MalibuJeff on 06/13/07 19:55 PM (PDT)

2006 Chevrolet Malibu Sedan LS 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 4A)

The new Malibu LS was a compromise between a new Toyota Avalon (price), Hundi Sonata (she didn't like the way the interior felt), and the Mercury Milan (wasn't available at end of year with options she wanted, and had OHC belt driven engine that didn't match the 'bu's highway gas mileage). The 'O6 'bu ran out very well when test driven, but developed irritating rattles after about 1000 miles, which the dealer fixed. At the first cold weather, the heater vent control motor started to howl, which again was replaced on warranty. Other than that, no major problems to complain about.

A Sleeper
By Never too old on 04/18/07 18:56 PM (PDT)

2006 Chevrolet Malibu Sedan SS 4dr Sedan (3.9L 6cyl 4A)

Bought it used, with less than 4,000 miles, and I've put about 2,000 on it to date. I've been very satisfied with every aspect of this car so far with 2 exceptions - torque steer and fuel economy, as mentioned in other reviews. The handling, suspension, and performance are very good. Seats are comfortable, and controls are easy to reach. Steering wheel buttons for radio and cruise control are a bit small, however. This car may not be a Lexus, BMW or other high priced sports/luxury car. It is what it is. But I like being different from everyone else. You don't see a Malibu SS at every corner, and it's fun to have people say "a Super Sport? I didn't know Chevy made it!"

Fun to Drive
By Bob on 04/12/07 09:28 AM (PDT)

2006 Chevrolet Malibu Sedan SS 4dr Sedan (3.9L 6cyl 4A)

I replaced an '06 Cadillac CTS with this car, mainly because the lease was up and I need an automatic transmission. The SS looked better than a base and I figured it would be fun to drive. So far it has met my expectations. It is quick around town and comfortable on long trips. MPG around 16 city in sprited driving. No problems except for warped brake rotors, replaced under warranty. I bought this car to keep for several years and believe it will suit my needs.

TCO® insurance data for this vehicle coming soon...

For an accurate quote, contact our trusted partner below.