Used 2006 Chevrolet Malibu Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2006 Chevrolet Malibu - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Malibu model:

NEVER WILL I BUY CHEVY AGAIN
By piece of CRAP Chevy

2006 Chevrolet Malibu LT 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

Ok I bought this car 2 years ago and still financing. It had 20,000 when I bought it lets see once it hit 30,000 went down hill from there first electronic power steering keeps goin out every 2 months and whole car locks up and shuts down almost been in many accidents due to this brakes go bad every 3 to 6 months my windshield leaks when it rains, tires that where on it were loud, I paid 13,000 for a piece of junk and know I am looking to get rid of it maybe off a Cliff haha any suggestion on how to get out of the loan when the car is worth less then loan

love radio and the sun roof and the gas milage but the car stinks

`make a new Malibu and improve everything but I still would never buy a Chevy again and thats all I have ever owned

What a pile of you-know-what!!!
By killrhedake

2006 Chevrolet Malibu LT 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

My wife and I bought this car from our local Chevrolet dealership. We bought it used with 6,000 miles. 8,000- replace front and rear brakes. 10,000 miles- replaced tires because the wore quickly. 25,000 miles- brakes again. This time discovering the passenger side rear pad was broken in half from the force of the caliper. I have never seen that before. 38,000- Brakes and tires again! God awful rattle emitting from the passenger side dash. Windshield leaking now. CD player likes eating CDs and will not fully eject them. Replaced intake with K&N recently. 65000- Check engine light- bad O2 sensor - wheel bearings shot and replaced. Dealership now out of business. No warranty upheld by GM.

Exterior style and design. Wood grain trim interior. Otherwise pile of crap. Never again. I own a 2000 Chevrolet Police Package Impala that threw a rod bearing. When I had the engine replaced GM stated it's common. With my car and my wife's car... No More GM.

Backup warranties. Use better parts. No junk. The list could go forever. Do not buy!!

Economical to drive
By TOMMMMMMMM

2006 Chevrolet Malibu LT 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 4A)

I purchased my 2006 Malibu LT at auction. It gets 34 mpg highway and 30 mpg driving across mountains. It displays outside temperature, mpg average, a trip a and b and fuel range before fill up. The seat has adjustable lumbar support and height adjustment. It's a really nice car for the price. The rear seats fold flat and the passenger front seat folds flat. I'm impressed with the quality. I paid $7800 and it has 49k miles.

The average mpg, outside temperature and fuel range display. The fuel mileage is the best.

It's not a fast car on winding roads. It's about average.

Worst Car I've ever Bought
By robdiddy

2006 Chevrolet Malibu LS 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 4A)

I purchased this car with 4000 miles on it, rattle in dash at 10k. Torque Converter went at 40k. The stock tires were horrible and made loud noise on the road. The interior of the car stained when it rained. The dashboard rattle became louder as time went on. Despite attempting to tighten everything in the dash, nothing fixed it. The catalytic converter clogged at 50k. At that, I turned the car in and took my losses. I spent 4k on the car in repairs in 2 years and it was draining me.

Better interior, better quality transmission, more performance in engine and redesign the dash so it doesn't gradually become loose and rattle.

Rotors need replaced at 31,831
By Sue

2006 Chevrolet Malibu LT 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

Car was serviced Nov 10 2008, winter tires, oil change and general check, everything including brake pads were ok. Returned vehicle March 2009 to change tires back to summer and have oil changed, I have now been told that rotors are so bad that they are dangerous, replacement cost of $325.00/axel. I am a city driver, I drive with 1 foot and my pads were fine just 4 months ago;it wasn't even suggested that the pads be changed. I've not had any squealing, pulling or shaking, so I have to wonder...? I drove my last car for 14 years and only had to change the brake pads. Are GM parts of such poor quality? Rotors are not covered under GMPP total plus, even obviously faulty ones. Unacceptable

Smooth ride, great acceleration. Like the look of exterior.

I leased because I was convinced by salesperson that I would have a maintenance free car for 4 years as everything was covered. GM should live up to their warranty claims and use better quality parts. I paid more than a grand extra,for coverage that is apparently worthless.