Used 2006 Chevrolet Malibu Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2006 Chevrolet Malibu - Consumer Reviews

2006 Chevrolet Malibu Sedan

View reviews for a specific Malibu model:

Good car, but a pain
By malibultx06

2006 Chevrolet Malibu Sedan LTZ 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

Well it does get 33 mpg, it is safe, runs great. Everyone fights to drive it the radio is good. The price was right, bought as a demo. Had a steering clunk had it fixed under warranty at 20k now at 48k having the same issue. The service notice is 06-02-32-007f. And if it hasn't happened to you just wait every Malibu owner has had the same issue and it cost $400.00 to fix and the service manger at my dealership said it last about 5k to 20k miles depending on driving habits.

Favorite Features

Lights, seats, radio, sunroof, heated seats, steering wheel controls.

Suggested Improvements

Steering Problems.

excellent crash safety
By carbanks1

2006 Chevrolet Malibu Sedan LT 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

I had my chevy malibu for only 3 days when I was involved in a head on collision at highway speed. I was able to correct the skid almost completely before I realized the cruise was still set at 65mph. I tapped the brake to deactivate it, which caused the car to spin into the other lane of traffic. I was hit head on by another car with no injury at all whatsoever (I didn't even get whiplash). The airbags didn't go off, which was probably a good thing in my case. Although the car was totaled, I was safe.

Favorite Features

lumbar support on the seats, crash safety, good gas mileage

Suggested Improvements

car is very touchy and susceptible to slipping on ice compared to Buick. There should be a feature that deactivates cruise control in the case of an event like mine.

HORRIBLE!!! STAY AWAY!!!
By chevy55tool

2006 Chevrolet Malibu Sedan LT 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

I bought this car for my wife with 25,000 miles on it. Within the first 3-6 months, the car began falling apart. We noticed that the entire front steering/suspension would dangerously shake when braking; The electric power steering now locks/unlocks at its own behest(EXTREMELY DANGEROUS!!!) which is a lawsuit waiting to happen; the front tires wear down at a ridiculous rate; the windshield/dashboard make a very annoying rattle when going b/w 45-65 mph, the CD player overheats; the sun visor wont stay upright; the dome light switch is very difficult to deal with; I love old classic chevys, but what a pile of dung for this day and age. Extremely disappointed.

Favorite Features

It's reprehensible that GM can legally put out a vehicle for mass production with such hazardous flaws such as the electric power steering problem (among others). It seems now, that the bottom line is all that matters, and "safety" is just selling pitch. Don't get me started on GM warranties!!!

Suggested Improvements

I would recommend all 2006 Malibu owners to keep all service records regarding the electric power steering problem and have them ready for any impending lawsuits should your steering fail someday cause fatalities on the road.

Love this car!
By Concord River

2006 Chevrolet Malibu Sedan LT 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 4A)

I'm happily surprised with the performance of my used Malibu. I bought it with about 60,000 miles last summer and have loved driving it since then. The only problem was a quarter fell into the seat belt clip and it was a little difficult to get out.

Favorite Features

Handling Mileage Spacious American feel inside Dashboard appearance. Color (green) of car. Many included features (LT model) So far, very reliable.

Suggested Improvements

Should offer a full hybrid or electric model.

nice car
By sj

2006 Chevrolet Malibu Sedan LTZ 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

For the money this has been a great car. Bought with 6K miles and only a few issues that so far the dealer took care of. Tires did wear quickly but that's not cars fault. Gas mileage is excellent. At 35K miles now, we'll see how the next 30K go... Had considered Camry but got a fully loaded 6 cyl for almost half the price..

Favorite Features

Gas mileage. V6 power. all the extras, heated seats, remote start, power seat, wheels, on and on

Suggested Improvements

Again for the price can't really think of any. Wouldn't buy new off lot with depreciation.