Used 2006 Chevrolet Malibu Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2006 Chevrolet Malibu - Consumer Reviews

2006 Chevrolet Malibu

View reviews for a specific Malibu model:

Worth the money
By David Leptich

2006 Chevrolet Malibu LS 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 4A)

I bought this car in July 2006 with 13,000 miles. I now have 87,000 miles and am looking at my first set of brakes and new tires. I have had some front end work done both under warranty and last year for tie rods. This car gets about 34 miles to the gallon on rural roads. The interior controls are well placed and good to use when driving. The seats are comfortable in the front and serviceable in the back. Trunk room is good and the rear seats fold down for extra cargo room. I paid $13,500 used and I am pleased with the car.

Favorite Features

34 mpg and good handling.

Suggested Improvements

The front end seems to need to much service for 87,000 miles.

Like it a lot!
By jojodancer

2006 Chevrolet Malibu SS 4dr Sedan (3.9L 6cyl 4A)

Interior could use some spicing up, it handles very well, kinda BAD on gas averaging 19.5 mpg (city & highway)but I guess that comes with those SS badges. Very fun to drive! Did have some issues with the intake manifold gaskets, be sure to have them checked out b4 purchase or be SURE to get an extended warranty that covers gaskets and other small inside of the engine parts.

Favorite Features

exterior looks great, people love CHEVY SS's

Suggested Improvements

engine efficiency, more power and less gas, like every other car LOL

well I wish I had a ...
By bw

2006 Chevrolet Malibu LT 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

Got 153,000 on this 06 Malibu beginning to have steering problems and other issues still owe so if can't resolve might see how safe in a high speed crash

electiric power steering
By David

2006 Chevrolet Malibu LT 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

I just don't understand why the Malibu was built so cheap.I had to replace the I shaft twice and replace both inner tie rod end and bought at least three sets of tires. Why is that I bought the new Malibu because was tired of working on cars all the time, but guest what I still am. There is no reason for this. When my steering was going out I had to shut the car off to reset, unless I was driving down the road. This is a safety issue but the general motors will not recall this darn problem. Both I and my wife been fighting with gm but not response back to us. But I will turn this problem to nhsta. Some one needs to get this problem taken care of.

Suggested Improvements

Electric power steering who invented this problem

It's A Sad Story
By Joan

2006 Chevrolet Malibu LT 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

Purchased this car in July of 2006 brand new.When I took it for a test drive I instantly fell in love.Little did I know what I was headed for. Turned into a full blown relationship with the dealership.I don't blame them.The service department is great!!! 9/06-Rustproofing was done. It's rusting. 1/07-Crankshaft was replaced. 11/07-Need new tires already. 10/08-Steering I-Shaft replaced, new rear brakes. 11/08-I-Shaft replaced again! 8/09-Replaced strut mounts, bearings and ball joints. 3/10-I-Shaft,ball joint,shaft kit and alignment.Tires are "Cupped" and need replacing due to road conditions. Bull, researched and found the problem is due to the struts and suspension.

Favorite Features

Love the driver seat. Feels like your driving in a Nascar.

Suggested Improvements

Stand by your product. Admit it's a defect with the vehicle and repair what should be repaired to avoid further problems at the consumers cost.