Used 2006 Chevrolet Malibu LS Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2006 Chevrolet Malibu Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Malibu model:

Check the undercoating
By laurel

2006 Chevrolet Malibu Sedan LS 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 4A)

I noticed last year that the black undercoating was just peeling away from the rear tire walls..and a few months later from the front! what the hell? of course its no longer under warranty, and got no where with gm. so there is no rust proofing left, am waiting for it to rust out from under me, being in the northeast, it will happen. Im thinking I should sell it before that happens and buy a toyota. I'm sure the 7 year rust through warranty has a catch, so we will see. The dealer will charge me a couple hundred bucks to fix the problem. I'm not sure what to do at this point but there is my rant!

It is reliable

undercoat better! make the plastic a little tougher so everything doesn't need to be superglued back together.

Worth the money
By David Leptich

2006 Chevrolet Malibu Sedan LS 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 4A)

I bought this car in July 2006 with 13,000 miles. I now have 87,000 miles and am looking at my first set of brakes and new tires. I have had some front end work done both under warranty and last year for tie rods. This car gets about 34 miles to the gallon on rural roads. The interior controls are well placed and good to use when driving. The seats are comfortable in the front and serviceable in the back. Trunk room is good and the rear seats fold down for extra cargo room. I paid $13,500 used and I am pleased with the car.

34 mpg and good handling.

The front end seems to need to much service for 87,000 miles.

Worst Car I've ever Bought
By robdiddy

2006 Chevrolet Malibu Sedan LS 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 4A)

I purchased this car with 4000 miles on it, rattle in dash at 10k. Torque Converter went at 40k. The stock tires were horrible and made loud noise on the road. The interior of the car stained when it rained. The dashboard rattle became louder as time went on. Despite attempting to tighten everything in the dash, nothing fixed it. The catalytic converter clogged at 50k. At that, I turned the car in and took my losses. I spent 4k on the car in repairs in 2 years and it was draining me.

Better interior, better quality transmission, more performance in engine and redesign the dash so it doesn't gradually become loose and rattle.

great first car
By first car

2006 Chevrolet Malibu Sedan LS 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 4A)

I got this Malibu after I had a 2000 Chevy silverado. It had a lift and big tires so it got about 17 mpg hwy. This car is such a difference, and gets such good gas mileage. From going state to state in that truck. That's a lot of gas. But when I got this, it isn't the most comfortable, and I miss siting so high up in a truck. But I live in Chicago and I drove to Arizona in my truck because it was like driving a living room. But my wallet got really skinny. So I drove the car, I only had to stop to get gas 4 times. That's awesome! The truck, I had to stop about 14-15 times. The only problem with the car, because I bought it used, was the steering arm. My son will have this car when he's 16.

good gas mileage, good starter car

seats uncomfortable, brakes squeak when brakes aren't on

22 times in the shop
By lives in the shop

2006 Chevrolet Malibu Sedan LS 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 4A)

I bought this car new! It was in the shop from week one, which the guys in the service dept have bent over backwards for me. They did not design or build the car, not their fault. The rattle was finally fixed, after the 3rd visit struts replace, strut mounts replaced 2 times in first yr, rack and pinion replaced? steering column sleeve replaced at 34,000 miles visor 2 times radio replaced ac fan motor, Car drifts to left all the time Car is very loud with road, noise brakes are showing signs of issues. Haven't taken it back in yet. Headlights shake even if road is smooth. This is my 3rd Malibu and last Chevy.

Remote start, adjustable steering column. Look of the car.

Better quality parts. Car was not cheap but rides cheap. I'm disappointed in the purchase of my first new car.