2006 Chevrolet Malibu Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Malibu model:
Check the undercoating
By laurel on 07/30/10 16:07 PM (PDT)

2006 Chevrolet Malibu Sedan LS 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 4A)

I noticed last year that the black undercoating was just peeling away from the rear tire walls..and a few months later from the front! what the hell? of course its no longer under warranty, and got no where with gm. so there is no rust proofing left, am waiting for it to rust out from under me, being in the northeast, it will happen. Im thinking I should sell it before that happens and buy a toyota. I'm sure the 7 year rust through warranty has a catch, so we will see. The dealer will charge me a couple hundred bucks to fix the problem. I'm not sure what to do at this point but there is my rant!

Worth the money
By David Leptich on 07/06/10 09:54 AM (PDT)

2006 Chevrolet Malibu Sedan LS 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 4A)

I bought this car in July 2006 with 13,000 miles. I now have 87,000 miles and am looking at my first set of brakes and new tires. I have had some front end work done both under warranty and last year for tie rods. This car gets about 34 miles to the gallon on rural roads. The interior controls are well placed and good to use when driving. The seats are comfortable in the front and serviceable in the back. Trunk room is good and the rear seats fold down for extra cargo room. I paid $13,500 used and I am pleased with the car.

Worst Car I've ever Bought
By robdiddy on 04/03/09 18:27 PM (PDT)

2006 Chevrolet Malibu Sedan LS 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 4A)

I purchased this car with 4000 miles on it, rattle in dash at 10k. Torque Converter went at 40k. The stock tires were horrible and made loud noise on the road. The interior of the car stained when it rained. The dashboard rattle became louder as time went on. Despite attempting to tighten everything in the dash, nothing fixed it. The catalytic converter clogged at 50k. At that, I turned the car in and took my losses. I spent 4k on the car in repairs in 2 years and it was draining me.

great first car
By first car on 03/12/09 06:02 AM (PDT)

2006 Chevrolet Malibu Sedan LS 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 4A)

I got this Malibu after I had a 2000 Chevy silverado. It had a lift and big tires so it got about 17 mpg hwy. This car is such a difference, and gets such good gas mileage. From going state to state in that truck. That's a lot of gas. But when I got this, it isn't the most comfortable, and I miss siting so high up in a truck. But I live in Chicago and I drove to Arizona in my truck because it was like driving a living room. But my wallet got really skinny. So I drove the car, I only had to stop to get gas 4 times. That's awesome! The truck, I had to stop about 14-15 times. The only problem with the car, because I bought it used, was the steering arm. My son will have this car when he's 16.

22 times in the shop
By lives in the shop on 02/12/09 23:22 PM (PST)

2006 Chevrolet Malibu Sedan LS 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 4A)

I bought this car new! It was in the shop from week one, which the guys in the service dept have bent over backwards for me. They did not design or build the car, not their fault. The rattle was finally fixed, after the 3rd visit struts replace, strut mounts replaced 2 times in first yr, rack and pinion replaced? steering column sleeve replaced at 34,000 miles visor 2 times radio replaced ac fan motor, Car drifts to left all the time Car is very loud with road, noise brakes are showing signs of issues. Haven't taken it back in yet. Headlights shake even if road is smooth. This is my 3rd Malibu and last Chevy.

Great Car
By Rick on 02/05/09 12:36 PM (PST)

2006 Chevrolet Malibu Sedan LS 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 4A)

I drive 600 miles per week in this car and it has been flawless in 109000 miles I still have not done a brake job on this car yet!!! I have done oil changes and a set of tires and thats it in 109000 miles!!! I tuned it up at 100000 just as normal maintenence. I alwas get 30-35 miles per gallon depending how fast I am driving. This car has been outstanding!

Never again
By zleach on 12/30/08 19:31 PM (PST)

2006 Chevrolet Malibu Sedan LS 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 4A)

When this car was purchased we had a few minor kinks that the dealership was to mend, but of course things just got worse. After having it only 3 months they had to repalce the steering rack, shortly after both drive axles, not to mention the 2 brake jobs within 10K miles of each other. The steering and suspension is awful. Rear wheel bearings, and much more. The car loves the left side of the road due to lower ball joints not wanting to hold up. $200 apiece. And not to mention the tires wear awfully quick when they go bad 3 front tires within 20K of each other

Great Car
By Lumber Baron on 12/10/08 22:57 PM (PST)

2006 Chevrolet Malibu Sedan LS 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 4A)

Leased this car 3 yrs ago & have nearly 36k on it now. Lease will end in April and I may just buy it as it has been all that I could ask for & more. Just one trip back to the dealer for warranty work - dim light in radio & clunk in steering. Fixed both in about 1/2 hr. I tracked the mileage for the 1st 30k, recording every gallon used. Averaged 29.8 mpg for the 3 yrs & got as high as 40 mpg on 1 trip. Just returned from 2500 mile trip with 4 adults & trunk full of luggage. Averaged 30.2 mpg for the trip. This has been a great car, adequate performance, good ride, reliable, trouble free. Well thought out interior with lots of room. I much prefer it to my wifes 08 Saturn Aura XR.

Good Car for the Price After 2 years
By lizzard on 05/19/08 12:11 PM (PDT)

2006 Chevrolet Malibu Sedan LS 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 4A)

This car is a nice size and the interior looks better than my Geo. I really like the faux wood look. I like the boxy look better than the previous Malibus. The MPG (about 26/32) has served me well in the last several months. I mostly drive to and from work and church and have only gone on 3 or 4 long trips. I have the bare bones version, so no OnStar or sunroof or ABS, but the car still runs very well. There is a rattle in the dash and my friend told me she heard a rattle in the back on top after she sat back there. The sun visor on the driver side does not go up properly. I haven't asked about getting anything fixed though. I miss manual trans sometimes, but overall this car makes me happy

I have 2
By rcran on 05/08/08 17:50 PM (PDT)

2006 Chevrolet Malibu Sedan LS 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 4A)

I have 2 '06 LS models bought a month apart. The only difference on mine is traction loc and ABS. I get 32mpg ave. city/hywy combined. My other one gets 34mpg combined. Mine has 35k the other is a little over 40k. Only problems have been to replace a sensor, and turn the front rotors on one and a replacement rod in the steering on the other, oh and one tail light...all covered by warranty. Great little car, lousy Bridgestone OE tires. Barely enough grip, the one with 40k+ will get new shoes soon.

TCO® insurance data for this vehicle coming soon...

For an accurate quote, contact our trusted partner below.