Used 2006 Chevrolet Malibu SS Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2006 Chevrolet Malibu - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Malibu model:

Like it a lot!
By jojodancer

2006 Chevrolet Malibu Sedan SS 4dr Sedan (3.9L 6cyl 4A)

Interior could use some spicing up, it handles very well, kinda BAD on gas averaging 19.5 mpg (city & highway)but I guess that comes with those SS badges. Very fun to drive! Did have some issues with the intake manifold gaskets, be sure to have them checked out b4 purchase or be SURE to get an extended warranty that covers gaskets and other small inside of the engine parts.

Favorite Features

exterior looks great, people love CHEVY SS's

Suggested Improvements

engine efficiency, more power and less gas, like every other car LOL

I love my SS
By nmartinez

2006 Chevrolet Malibu Sedan SS 4dr Sedan (3.9L 6cyl 4A)

I bought my 06 Chevy Malibu SS last year. It had 21K mi on it and came from Louisiana. I've had it for exactly 1 year now, it has 40K mi on it and runs perfectly. I've never had a problem with this car. The only fluid I had to refill was Anti-freeze and I did that at 30K mi. So no big. The car has yet to disappoint me. This is my first Chevy, and it performs excellent in all the elements. Which is a plus, because Missouri weather is always unpredictable. The only thing I wish it could do better on is gas mileage. I get around 19-22 city and 26-28 hwy. But...it has a 3.9 L engine so I'm happy with what I get.

Favorite Features

I love the interior, it has a large backseat and has spacious trunk...which if you look from the compact exterior it's deceiving. I really like the instrument panels as well. Very sharp interior and exterior on the Malibu SS.

Snow white dream
By midlife love

2006 Chevrolet Malibu Sedan SS 4dr Sedan (3.9L 6cyl 4A)

This gem was the end result of a trade-in after a recent purchase of a mini-van. I canít say enough about this car. Super reliable and low maintenance. Great interior and exterior. Spoiler, sunroof, remote start, aluminum rims with 18Ē tires, 6-disk cd changer with XM radio, cruise control, leather/ cloth seats, leather steering wheel, and room for 5. Great car for any age. Sporty and family friendly. Great & fun drive. Super comfortable. 23-mpg city and 29-mpg highway driving 65 mph. I would buy this Super Sport again and again.

Favorite Features

Great interior & exterior. Low maintenance. Super Sassy (SS).

Suggested Improvements

Could improve on gas mileage. Wouldn't mind trading the XM radio for a HD system.

What a disappointment
By Hate Chevys Now

2006 Chevrolet Malibu Sedan SS 4dr Sedan (3.9L 6cyl 4A)

Wow! I loved the style. I loved the deal. But like mama always said "that which is too good to be true, probably is". After 8 trips to the dealer, they are finally replacing the steering colunm, brake rotors, tie rod ends, ball joints, and brake rotors. These have all gone bad within the 16215 miles I have driven this year. This car rattles, shakes and shimmys its way down the road with great style. Too bad it has a four speed auto when most others have a 6spd auto. I cannot wait to get rid of this car, but its value is still plummeting like a comet falling from the sky. If build quality and rattles with no hint of dealer help do not bother you, please buy mine, it is for sale.

Favorite Features

XM radio, Sunroof, exterior style.

Suggested Improvements

Bad quality, poor dealer support, poor reliability.

A Sleeper
By Never too old

2006 Chevrolet Malibu Sedan SS 4dr Sedan (3.9L 6cyl 4A)

Bought it used, with less than 4,000 miles, and I've put about 2,000 on it to date. I've been very satisfied with every aspect of this car so far with 2 exceptions - torque steer and fuel economy, as mentioned in other reviews. The handling, suspension, and performance are very good. Seats are comfortable, and controls are easy to reach. Steering wheel buttons for radio and cruise control are a bit small, however. This car may not be a Lexus, BMW or other high priced sports/luxury car. It is what it is. But I like being different from everyone else. You don't see a Malibu SS at every corner, and it's fun to have people say "a Super Sport? I didn't know Chevy made it!"

Favorite Features

Remote start. Distinctive looks. Great steering feel. Nice paint and clearcoat, very easy to wash and dry. 6 disc stereo.

Suggested Improvements

Five speed auto trans with a better final drive ratio to improve highway fuel mileage. Sportier gauge package with oil pressure, water temp, etc. Larger fuel tank