2006 Chevrolet Malibu - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Malibu model:
love my 06 LT V6 Malibu
By cody9357 on 07/04/14 22:16 PM (PDT)

2006 Chevrolet Malibu LT 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

Purchased my 2006 Malibu with only 81K miles on it, 12000 miles later i still love it. i haven't had any problems with the vehicle other than regular maintenance. there are a few recalls on the vehicle but Chevrolet is taking care of that for me but if you are looking for a family vehicle with a little get up and go then I recommend this vehicle. also I am averaging about 25 miles per gallon if I keep my foot out of the gas pedal. I am 5'9" and with my driver seat adjusted there is plenty of leg room for my rear passengers to be comfortably seated.

horrible car
By adam1987 on 12/10/12 10:09 AM (PST)

2006 Chevrolet Malibu LT 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

literally two weeks after buying the car the air conditioner went out, i live in Texas and bought the car in July rolling with out an AC was not an option. i also had the same problem as everyone else with the tie rods and the power steering cutting out. but the worst was when i started feeling my brakes locking up. i later found out it was due to the rubber in the caliper rotting and allowing break dust into my breaking system. i didn't have the money for a whole new brake system. so for the last year or so i owned the car i couldnt drive on the freeway. having your brakes lock up at 70mph is EFFING SCARY. im so much happier with my suzuki econo car. not as roomy but way more fun to drive.

Worst car ever (And I have had some real winners!)
By snowwhite24 on 06/26/12 21:28 PM (PDT)

2006 Chevrolet Malibu LT 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 4A)

I bought this 2006 Malibu LT in January of 2009 with about 60,000 miles on it. So far...front shocks replaced, crack in the intake manifold fixed, controller arms replaced, rear shocks replaced, new tires 3 times in 3 years, etc. Just last week, had head replaced and now they are saying it is actually a crack in the engine block. Car needs a whole new motor. The windshield buzzes because the cowel (sp?) piece is warped. It eats CD's and won't give them back. This car has been the bane of my existence for the last 3 years. I would never ever ever recommend anyone buy a Malibu. And GM just lost a repeat customer. I will never buy GM again. I have had enough.

Bye Bye GM - update
By chevylemon02 on 07/17/11 06:23 AM (PDT)

2006 Chevrolet Malibu LT 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

Well, I finally got out from underneath this piece of junk, money pit!!!! I can no longer support "buy American" due to GM and their inadequate skills in producing a quality built vehicle not to mention their lack of customer service and not standing behind their warranties! Maybe this should be directed solely to the dealership in Rochester, NY on Ridge Rd and not GM as a whole but in any event their practices are shady at best and due to them, I will never, ever buy a GM vehicle again!! PS.......loving my new NISSAN ALTIMA!

great car
By vtfarmboy on 03/26/11 20:57 PM (PDT)

2006 Chevrolet Malibu LS Fleet 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

I purchased this car used with about 20,000+ miles four years ago. I have been driving it daily ever since and other than a new set of tires had no problems what so ever. well almost. The gas tank sending unit was not working when i bought it. The dealer told me to set up a apointment to get it fixed i just never did it. That is not the cars fault. It drives nice and is comfortable for my commute. I live 45 miles from my work and it is quite good on gas. I average anywhere between 28 and 34 mpg with a V6 not bad if you ask me. It aint pretty, it isnt Hot but if you are looking for good dependable every day transportation that wont bleed you dry its just what you need!

Safe, Reliable, and Fun Car
By randy394 on 12/20/10 11:50 AM (PST)

2006 Chevrolet Malibu LT 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

It's been an excellent car overall. Have 58K miles right now and the only problem I've ever had is some exhaust gasket that needed to be replaced for $50 (which included labor). It handles very well, even during North Dakota winters. The 3.5L V6 has more than enough power for merging and passing and gets as good of gas mileage as many 4 cylinders do. The factory stereo is one of the best I've ever heard for a family sedan - although the rear speakers aren't the greatest. They sound a bit "spongy". Just a side note... most of the bad reviews I've read are about the Maxx. Not sure why there'd be that big of a difference, but it is something I've noticed.

All bad rewiews correct steering
By Toyotafan on 11/07/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2006 Chevrolet Malibu LTZ 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

I bought the car for my wife since her 1996 Ford Taurus was on its last leg. So we drove a used Malibu. Seemed great compared to what we had and a decent price. 1 month later the steering had a knock in it when you turned the wheel parked or at low speeds. Very common problem in many Chevy trucks as well. Dealer ship did a quick fix, and 2 months later it reappeared. Now if I want piece of mind for a real fix $500. Chevrolet has gone down hill with products over last 10 years. Do not buy this car unless you have no other choice. Great power from engine is only good quality about it.

Great
By mnfish on 08/24/10 11:30 AM (PDT)

2006 Chevrolet Malibu LT 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 4A)

Bought car used in 2007 for $12,400 with 18k. Been driving it for over three years at 30k miles a year. Have 109k on it now and have had no issues. Replaced brakes once, tires once and had two easy fixes, one for a wheel bearing (covered under the power train warranty) and another steering linkage replacement, covered under warranty as well. Car is fun to drive, has plenty of get up and go with the 2.2 4cyl. The under coating has also started to go, and I have some surface rust in the wheel well started, but this is due to some paint being chipped.

Check the undercoating
By laurel on 07/30/10 16:07 PM (PDT)

2006 Chevrolet Malibu LS 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 4A)

I noticed last year that the black undercoating was just peeling away from the rear tire walls..and a few months later from the front! what the hell? of course its no longer under warranty, and got no where with gm. so there is no rust proofing left, am waiting for it to rust out from under me, being in the northeast, it will happen. Im thinking I should sell it before that happens and buy a toyota. I'm sure the 7 year rust through warranty has a catch, so we will see. The dealer will charge me a couple hundred bucks to fix the problem. I'm not sure what to do at this point but there is my rant!

Great College Car
By Dash on 07/09/10 13:45 PM (PDT)

2006 Chevrolet Malibu LT 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

I bought this car right before heading off to college for my freshman year. I had previously been driving a 1996 Audi A6 and it was nothing but trouble. After struggling with owning an aging European car, I decided to spring for a much cheaper-to-fix American car. Got a pretty good deal financing it and I haven't looked back. Handles better than the A6 (read: less like a tank) and has quite a bit more "oomph" behind it. The Fuel efficiency is great, I average around 30 highway and 27 city. As someone that commutes to a college 400+ miles away, it's great having a car that will always get me there reliably. Made the 8 hour trip 20+ times now and not a single problem. Consider me switched.

TCO® insurance data for this vehicle coming soon...

For an accurate quote, contact our trusted partner below.