Used 2006 Chevrolet Malibu Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2006 Chevrolet Malibu - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Malibu model:

Most Helpful|
NEVER WILL I BUY CHEVY AGAIN
By piece of CRAP Chevy

2006 Chevrolet Malibu LT 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

Ok I bought this car 2 years ago and still financing. It had 20,000 when I bought it lets see once it hit 30,000 went down hill from there first electronic power steering keeps goin out every 2 months and whole car locks up and shuts down almost been in many accidents due to this brakes go bad every 3 to 6 months my windshield leaks when it rains, tires that where on it were loud, I paid 13,000 for a piece of junk and know I am looking to get rid of it maybe off a Cliff haha any suggestion on how to get out of the loan when the car is worth less then loan

Favorite Features

love radio and the sun roof and the gas milage but the car stinks

Suggested Improvements

`make a new Malibu and improve everything but I still would never buy a Chevy again and thats all I have ever owned

2006 Malibu-"Just a Car"
By dannielle boilard

2006 Chevrolet Malibu LS 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 4A)

I traded my 2002 Olds Intrigue for the 2006 Malibu which is a roomy small car. It is very light and blows around on the highway...over 100 kph is almost dangerous. I don't drive on the freeway because I can't keep up with the regular flow of traffic which is faster than that. I saved some money by trading in my Olds, but I know that I traded my Automobile for "just a car". It is way below the standard of comfort and performance that I was used to. I can't wait for the lease to end so that I can get rid of it.

Suggested Improvements

Make the Malibu heavier, more aerodynamic so that it is not all over the road when being driven at highway speeds.

Bye Bye GM - update
By chevylemon02

2006 Chevrolet Malibu LT 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

Well, I finally got out from underneath this piece of junk, money pit!!!! I can no longer support "buy American" due to GM and their inadequate skills in producing a quality built vehicle not to mention their lack of customer service and not standing behind their warranties! Maybe this should be directed solely to the dealership in Rochester, NY on Ridge Rd and not GM as a whole but in any event their practices are shady at best and due to them, I will never, ever buy a GM vehicle again!! PS.......loving my new NISSAN ALTIMA!

Favorite Features

After all is said and done.....the rear defroster is about the only thing on this car that I didn't have a problem with. It actually worked!

Suggested Improvements

Stand behind your so called warranties and educate your employees on customer service.

HORRIBLE!!! STAY AWAY!!!
By chevy55tool

2006 Chevrolet Malibu LT 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

I bought this car for my wife with 25,000 miles on it. Within the first 3-6 months, the car began falling apart. We noticed that the entire front steering/suspension would dangerously shake when braking; The electric power steering now locks/unlocks at its own behest(EXTREMELY DANGEROUS!!!) which is a lawsuit waiting to happen; the front tires wear down at a ridiculous rate; the windshield/dashboard make a very annoying rattle when going b/w 45-65 mph, the CD player overheats; the sun visor wont stay upright; the dome light switch is very difficult to deal with; I love old classic chevys, but what a pile of dung for this day and age. Extremely disappointed.

Favorite Features

It's reprehensible that GM can legally put out a vehicle for mass production with such hazardous flaws such as the electric power steering problem (among others). It seems now, that the bottom line is all that matters, and "safety" is just selling pitch. Don't get me started on GM warranties!!!

Suggested Improvements

I would recommend all 2006 Malibu owners to keep all service records regarding the electric power steering problem and have them ready for any impending lawsuits should your steering fail someday cause fatalities on the road.

horrible car
By adam1987

2006 Chevrolet Malibu LT 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

literally two weeks after buying the car the air conditioner went out, i live in Texas and bought the car in July rolling with out an AC was not an option. i also had the same problem as everyone else with the tie rods and the power steering cutting out. but the worst was when i started feeling my brakes locking up. i later found out it was due to the rubber in the caliper rotting and allowing break dust into my breaking system. i didn't have the money for a whole new brake system. so for the last year or so i owned the car i couldnt drive on the freeway. having your brakes lock up at 70mph is EFFING SCARY. im so much happier with my suzuki econo car. not as roomy but way more fun to drive.