Used 2005 Chevrolet Malibu Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2005 Chevrolet Malibu Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Malibu model:

I will NEVER buy another Chevy
By Nikki

2005 Chevrolet Malibu Sedan LS 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

I purchased my Malibu 14 months ago. 6 cylinder, looked sporty and was roomy. I loved it for one whole month, and then it started to fall apart. In the last year, I have dealt with and replaced the following: power steering module twice, entire steering column, slip joint, lower control arm, tie rod, all four rotors and brake pads. The horn fuse lasts about 1 week before it blows out, and there is a short in the electrical system, and because of it I have replaced all turn signals and head/brake lamps in the last year. And the sun roof pours water into the back seat, and every drop shows on the cheap material. I am looking for a new car, and I will never ever buy another Chevy.

Good used car
By Dave B

2005 Chevrolet Malibu Sedan 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 4A)

I love the overall gas mileage. The 4 cyclinder has good pep. I have noticed the sun roof rattles? Squeeks every now and then along with the brakes as well at times. I commute 80 miles a day and find it to be a comfortable ride. I always look forward to driving since I bought the vehicle. No regrets thus far.

Gas mileage, interior/exterior design

Better brakes and interior fabric is needed.

Not too great
By Arnold

2005 Chevrolet Malibu Sedan 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 4A)

I had this car for three years. Fuel consumption is great, all controls are good location. Smooth ride. Steering control and braking is excellent. Visibilty is great. Stereo doesnt have aux input and hard or cannot be upgraded. engine are noisy. I sent the car several times to the dealership for steering problem, cd drive running continously, small area paint peeling off under 2 front door and at the luggage door. Within two years under 12000 miles, they had replaced the lower ball joint and lower arm assembly due to clunking noise in the front suspension when it hit a bump even though that I drive it carefully.

Good fuel economy, braking performance is excellent, it saves me from hitting another car in front of me.

Reliability should be improved, they should stick to the older design that work perfecly.

Good and reliable
By Matt

2005 Chevrolet Malibu Sedan 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 4A)

I've had this car for about three years now. It's at about 70 thousand miles and still running great. I have the base model, so there isn't a lot of power, but the gas mileage is great and it's got a decent amount of pep for a four cylinder. The ride is smooth and the transmission is fluid. It has plenty of leg room and the interior, while not made of top grade materials, has held up nicely to a 4 and 1 year old.

A lot of features for a base model, like keyless entry and power everything. For the gas mileage, this car puts out some nice performance.

The motor can be a little noisy when it's working hard.

The right decision
By April

2005 Chevrolet Malibu Sedan LT 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

I bought my Malibu after a month and a half of searching for a vehicle after I totaled mine. I was a bit skeptical on this purchase because I know what kind of problems Malibus have had in the past. I work with cars everyday so I get to see first hand what kind of problems come thru my door. Once I saw the car's sleek design and I was able to test drive it, I was sold. This Malibu was far past my expectations of a Malibu. I love the 3.5L V6, which my dad says is too big for me and my lead foot! I purchased this car used with 80000 miles on it. I have put almost 6000 on it since I bought it and I have very few complaints. There are a few bumps here and there, but thats normal for a used car.

I love the 3.5L V6, the moon roof, the 6 disc changed (which doesn't like burned cd's sometimes) the leather/suede interior, the huge trunk. I just love this car all around.

Ok, what is up with the plastic clip on the windshield on the drivers side inside? Was this something GM left on accidentally or intentionally?