2005 Chevrolet Malibu Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Malibu model:
Malibu
By N Kirk on 09/09/06 06:19 AM (PDT)

2005 Chevrolet Malibu Sedan LS 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

This has been the most dependable car I have owned. Mileage is in mid 30s on average. Even around town, I get 30 mpg. Only trouble was a gas cap that leaked air and was replaced under warranty.

Never again!
By J.W. on 07/19/06 21:01 PM (PDT)

2005 Chevrolet Malibu Sedan LS 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

I hate this car! Have had just over a year. Has been to the dealer 4 times since April 2005 when purchased new. Car fails to start at times. Dealer doesnt know why! Not acceptable when a small child is involved here. This is a chronic issue. Noisy right front. Again, no dealer help on this. Gauges suddenly shut off! Back to the dealer for this issue. No help that time either!! Now power steering comes and goes as if possessed! Safety issue! Was at dealer again ....and again no help!!!

Average midsize car
By davidwli on 07/06/06 00:41 AM (PDT)

2005 Chevrolet Malibu Sedan LS 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

I purchased my 05 4 months ago. I've been in for repairs for 3 items; 1/ Loose front left strut that was replaced. 2/ Shifter assembly was replaced , the manual shift mode was inoperative. 3/ Rattling sound in the steering column, It's true that GM says they do not have an effective repair yet for this problem. Hopefully the car will be reliable from now otherwise I will sell it when the warranty expires. I decided to buy the Malibu and save the 4 to 5 thousand dollars over what a comparable '05 import would have cost. The car is a great deal used but I wouldn't buy it new as the depreciation is high.

Great Gas Mileage!
By MY on 06/12/06 09:59 AM (PDT)

2005 Chevrolet Malibu Sedan LT 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

This car is great! The gas mileage is fantastic, 29-30 in mixed driving and 34-36 on the highway, with the V6! This engine is no slouch either! There are no funny noises or rattles, only quiet. Fit and finish are excellent. Very comfortable and plenty of room. I would recommend this car to anyone. Check it out before you spend too much on a Camry or Accord.

Maxx's Review
By 05 Maxx on 05/28/06 20:14 PM (PDT)

2005 Chevrolet Malibu Sedan LS 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

I own an '05 Malibu Maxx Hatchbox, I get fabulous gas mileage in this car. My last trip to New Orleans from Fort Worth Texas, I filled up with 15 gallons of premium gas (I fill up with premium all the time) my Malibu averaged 37.6 mpg. I saw a Mercedes commercial. If I were to buy a 50,000 e class diesel you can get 37 mpg, well let me tell you one thing ( my Malibu didn't cost me half that and I'm getting more than what their 50,000 car does on mpg. Well back to what I was typing, I filled up once on my trip to N.O. and still had nearly 200 plus miles to go! This car packs the punches at the red lights and haul's (you know what) on the highway when I'm being a bad boy.

No comparison to the former Malibu
By Patrick on 04/12/06 09:13 AM (PDT)

2005 Chevrolet Malibu Sedan LS 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

After 3 weeks of many test drives and research the decision was far too obvious. My LS has 16,000Kms, the full airbag package, ABS, traction control, V6, OnStar. Safety rated as one of the top 6 cars and the only North American car on the list! It keeps good company with Lexus, VW, Saab, Subaru. My decision was based on safety, price, and fun to drive-ness. I got way more than that! The fit and finish on the exterior metal is amazing. It's a classy undiscovered jewel in a sea of hype and look-alikes! Check out the new Malibu. Saying its new & improved doesnt begin to do it justice. This is the best car I've ever owned, and there's been a lot!

Back to the drawing board
By mooser on 04/02/06 07:40 AM (PDT)

2005 Chevrolet Malibu Sedan LS 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

As soon as I hit 5,000 miles all went wrong.Terrible noise and klunking in front end effects how car drives but according to GM not a safety concern.Car is getting worse over time. Dealership tells me they have orders from GM not to look at front end.GM tells me to be patient they will have a solution in 3 months or so. No biggie only dealing with this since Feb. GM not helpful at all! Now I am leaking gas out of the engine. At 6,000 miles I needed a whole new exhaust system and the steering column replaced after the steering locked up on me driving to work. But hey GM says it is safe to drive! Now the car just sits in my driveway no way I am placing my family in this car or any other GM Car

Malibu LS V6
By DA on 03/25/06 09:05 AM (PST)

2005 Chevrolet Malibu Sedan LT 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

Excellent care for the money. You can catch this car used for a reasonable and fair price. It is much improved as compared to previous Chevrolet vehicles i have owned. I was considering Toyota or Honda...but overall I am equally satisfied with the new Chevrolet Malibu LS V6.

Don't buy a Malibu
By dont buy a malibu on 03/22/06 21:30 PM (PST)

2005 Chevrolet Malibu Sedan 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 4A)

This car has poor fuel mileage, I don't care what the specs say, and I am taking into consideration that these are usually exaggerated. I traded a 2003 Mercury Sable with 40k something miles on it, thinking i would get a bit better gas mileage with a newer vehicle, six cylinder but should be better in mileage as smaller vehicle and less weight and other factors. Darn things is eating me alive, i have decided to sell the thing and am driving my other vehicle in the mean time, a 2001 Ford Taurus (73000 miles) a larger car that is getting better mileage than this thing.

Nice car but...
By Dee on 03/19/06 17:12 PM (PST)

2005 Chevrolet Malibu Sedan LS 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

This car had 8100 miles on it when we bought it in Dec. At first we had no problems but now it makes an awful noise on right side when hitting rough road or potholes. Definitely something wrong somewhere. Also a rattle in right front door (that just started). Otherwise, it's nice looking & fun to drive. Handles well on the freeway or in the city. I'm not sure at this point if I would recommend this car, & doubt if we will keep it over 3 years, if that long. We had a 1995 Pontiac Grand Prix that rode better with no rattles, but it was getting too many mechanical problems. For the price we paid, this Malibu probably isn't a bad car.