2005 Chevrolet Malibu - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Malibu model:
Great car.
By waggiecam on 06/02/07 16:14 PM (PDT)

2005 Chevrolet Malibu LS 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

I bought this car after test driving several Malibu's and I love it. The only driving that I do is in the city in stop and go traffic and I get 33 miles to the gallon with my air conditioning all the way up. I have never had a problem with anything on it and I will definitely recommend this to all of my friends.

My 2005 Malibu LS V6
By Ethel on 04/24/07 07:58 AM (PDT)

2005 Chevrolet Malibu LS 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

I have had to have a new steering rack, new front exhaust, new sun visors, and a new ignition switch put on this car already. Thank God it is still in warranty. The tires that came with the car had trouble holding tire pressure so I had to buy 4 new tires also.

Can we say Recall/Class Actio?
By Karyn on 04/02/07 14:00 PM (PDT)

2005 Chevrolet Malibu LS 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

That noise you all here coming from the front end is your struts! I bought mine w/25k on it 10/2005 and within months had problems, had rattling since beginning, told it was nothing, now found out it was the strut (s) at 47k, had to replace all 4 brakes already, tires were shot at 40k. If it won't start just take the key out and try again, its a security feature, happens all the time! Now my tail light is not working apparently an Electrical problem! Gets good gas mileage only right after oil changes and with new tires! Better make sure you replace that air filter when it says too also! Front suspension shot, brakes shot, Electrical shot, seat fabric shot, get the hint, its a piece of junk!

The perfect car
By Wags on 03/31/07 22:40 PM (PDT)

2005 Chevrolet Malibu LS 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

I drive all city driving in my 2005 Chevrolet Malibu with a 3.5 Liter V6 and I am currently getting 30 miles to the gallon with only city driving. When I go on road trips I get about 39 freeway driving which just blows me away. I bought it thinking it would get 22 city and 32 highway but I am stunned at the great mileage I get especially with the very high gas prices. Did I also mention that I am constantly punching my gas petal to beat people off the line?

Malibu LS
By Hegs on 03/30/07 07:31 AM (PDT)

2005 Chevrolet Malibu LS 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

I just hit 48,000 on my Malibu and I have been very happy. For a V6 200hp I get very good mileage. I have been averaging about 30 in the summer and 25 in the winter. Some of the people that are claiming better gas mileage than this are going off of the inboard computer and the numbers are skewed a bit. I actually use a calculator and check my mileage based on my travel. I have noticed the computer is off about 2-3 mpg most of the time. The ride in the car is very good and a lot better than I thought it would be. I would replace the factory tires if you can. They aren't that great. I have had no problems with the car other than replacing the rear brake pads.

Hi Ho Silver!
By Silver on 02/21/07 19:26 PM (PST)

2005 Chevrolet Malibu 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 4A)

We looked at new cars and used, import, and domestic before buying our silver Malibu and haven't regretted it one second. It is a program car so we know that it's probably been driven hard and fast but it held up and is holding up. I believe mostly due to the maintenance required for program cars. There was water in the spare tire well when we bought it but the dealer had her cleaned up in a jif. The dealer thinks maybe the trunk gasket leaked while setting on the lot. We did have several inchs of rain. I've driven it once while raining and saw a cup of water in the trunk. I think it's from tire spray. It looks like GM put silicon on the joints of trunk floor where the tires are. We love our silver Malibu and will trade for another in a couple of years. Thanks GM for keeping us American!

My Malibu is great
By Leslie on 01/05/07 20:03 PM (PST)

2005 Chevrolet Malibu LS 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

This car is much nicer than I thought. I've always liked Malibu's, but the new body and nice angle on dash is great. It drives great, and it's great on gas. Love my new Chevy!

Chevrolet Malibu Base
By Sabrina Gainey on 12/03/06 06:01 AM (PST)

2005 Chevrolet Malibu 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 4A)

I purchased my vehicle used. I have only had this vehicle for 3 months and I have already experienced problems with the steering. When I am making a left turn the car makes a very disturbing noise. I have also had problems when starting the car. It makes a noise as if the battery is dead.

Not a good car but it works.
By bigbearsfan on 11/07/06 22:06 PM (PST)

2005 Chevrolet Malibu LS 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

This is the cheapest quality car I have ever owned. We decided to buy this instead of a new Accord because it saved money (a great deal after rebates). I have owned 2 Mazdas, an Altima, and a CR-V and the build quality of this car doesn't even stand up to my old '96 626. After 28k miles this car has several interior rattles, a mushy brake pedal and suspension, and overboosted steering. Everything inside the car feels and sounds cheap to the touch and the doors don't stay open by themselves even on the slightest incline. This is not a great car. It has lots of potential but GM cheaped out again. And some folks wonder why we lose to the Asian car companies. Get the Impala, it's better.

Great Value
By Lenerz on 10/28/06 06:11 AM (PDT)

2005 Chevrolet Malibu LS 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

The car drives and handles very well. I have gotten as high as 37 mpg with the V6 and average around 29-32 for all around driving. The power is more than enough for accelerating and passing. Not far behind the V-6 Altima I had. The only complaint is the knocking coming from the steering area. They said it's a problem with the collapsable steering column and is a cosmetic thing. But it will cost $200-300 to fix.