2005 Chevrolet Malibu Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Malibu model:
2005 Chevrolet Malibu LS 4 dr 3.5l6cyl
By Kelly123 on 06/21/08 12:48 PM (PDT)

2005 Chevrolet Malibu Sedan LS 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

Just had my Malibu 2 weeks. So far I really like it. I had to bring it back to the dealer for a steering rack. Hope that fixes the noise. We took a 200 mile road trip and I got 36.8 miles per gallon. Back and forth to work (about 70% highway) I get about 31. I'm fairly pleased with that. I think the onboard computer is right on. What people don't realize is that you have to check the Department of Weights & Measures rating on the pump when you get gas. ou don't always get a gallon for a gallon. The closer it is to 12, the more accurate. I always try to fill up at stations that are rated at a 10 12. I find that the car's MPG computer seems to be really close then.

Better than any Import, Toyota look out!
By gindelm7 on 06/13/08 17:35 PM (PDT)

2005 Chevrolet Malibu Sedan 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 4A)

Bought this car new after looking for a replacement for my 1999 Malibu. This is the 4cyl with XM satellite radio and remote start. I took the car back to replace a visor and check out steering noise. Outstanding service. Said the steering noise was normal. Now I have 90,000 miles and just replaced front brake pads (no rotors) for the first time. Nothing else has gone wrong with this car! Tires at 63,000 miles and regular oil changes. My radio/computer says 33 mpg but my calculations indicate I get 35.7 mpg. Can the new malibu be any better? Great drive quality at 75 mph, no noise. no vibrations. Paint looks great, A/C is fantastic. Plenty of room in back seat for 3 kids. Get one!

Wish I'd Known What I Know Now
By Michelle on 06/10/08 19:20 PM (PDT)

2005 Chevrolet Malibu Sedan LS 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

I bought my Malibu brand new from the dealership and it has all the bells and whistles. It's been 3 years this month and I've had the steering column replaced due to a recall(after taking it 2 times to have it checked before the recall). I've had the 6 disc cd changer replaced because my disks were stuck in it, I've had to buy touch up paint because the paint jobs so thin that any brush against an object scrapes to the grey plastic and now the battery's dead in my key fob & they have to order a whole kit to replace it!! Oh, & my sunroof rattles when it's open. I'm just afraid that when my factory warranty's up, I'll be up the creek with this car!

My Malibu
By Dina on 04/04/08 09:43 AM (PDT)

2005 Chevrolet Malibu Sedan LS 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

I love my Malibu, however, I have had numerous little things go wrong. One would be the steering, which I was re-imbursed. Then the stereo. My CD is stuck in my player, and I have found out many people have this problem. It is going to cost me $500 to fix it. As far as snow driving, it rocks! Durablity interior, rocks! Comfort is good. My dash makes a lot of noises, such as vibrating noises, this is agravating. Overall 1-10 I would give it, a 6 or maybe 7. Pretty good.

There should be a law...
By Chevy is crap on 03/01/08 09:16 AM (PST)

2005 Chevrolet Malibu Sedan 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 4A)

What a piece of crap this Malibu is. Just under 40,000 miles and the rack & pinion has to be replaced...700 dollars. No wonder the foreign cars are getting a lot of business! I have owned Toyota....drove the hell out of it....no problems....sold it at 148,00 miles and it still had the original clutch and it worked very well. There should be a class action suit against Chevrolet for pushing this P.O.J. car! Even the first month of ownership...the key would come out of the ignition....JUNK JUNK JUNK!

Horrible Car
By cbourke on 11/12/07 08:28 AM (PST)

2005 Chevrolet Malibu Sedan LS 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

I HATE this car! I bought it with only 2400 miles on it and have had it only 9 months. I have had more problems than I ever had with my 2001 Civic after 120K miles. I now have 19,000 miles and have had to get new rotors at 8,000 miles. I have been to the dealership 5 times because the car randomly turns off when I stop at redlights. The dealerships claims they can't duplicate the problem so they can't fix it. The car jolts real bad when driving at a steady 50 mph. Again the dealership "cant duplicate the problem" I demanded reprogramming of the computer and so far I have not had many problems, but then again it has only been a months since the reprogramming. Paint has also worn off radio.

Great car
By will buy chevy again on 10/19/07 17:52 PM (PDT)

2005 Chevrolet Malibu Sedan LS 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

Bought this car in Feb and have put almost 11,000 miles on it and my wife and I love it. Great gas mileage and good power from the 3.5 liter engine. Thought I would never buy American after my '96 Oldsmobile but GM won be back over with this car.

Great Car
By Safety Fan on 09/07/07 11:49 AM (PDT)

2005 Chevrolet Malibu Sedan LS 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

We bought out Malibu a little over a year ago and loved driving it on short and long trips. Great gas mileage for its size, lots of room for people and all the stuff we carry along, and pretty comfortable on the long rides too. But the best thing about it just happened a couple of weeks ago when my wife was in a head on collision. The whole front end was smashed in and she limped away with just a broken collarbone and toe. Front and side airbags and the seatbelt did their job and now we're taking the insurance check to buy an 06 Malibu.

Disappointed, and Problems
By Marty on 09/01/07 23:52 PM (PDT)

2005 Chevrolet Malibu Sedan LS 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

Sometimes the starter sticks, you may have to turn it off and restart it- sticks in the starting position. Tierods on both sides wear often-within 3000 miles. Bought car at 20000 miles and by 34000 miles had replace both tierods and steering rack. And at 37,000 miles tierods were popping again. Noise in the steering column was caused by a bad steering rack. Performance and milage excellent. Good stereo system. Bad design in frontend construction.

A very solid car, great gas mileage
By Wisconsin Driver on 06/10/07 11:07 AM (PDT)

2005 Chevrolet Malibu Sedan LS 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

This car replaced my Infinity I-30, and while I have lost some of the luxury, I have gained in dependability, gas mileage, and I do like that remote start. I drive ~150 miles per day, 90% highway, and I average 35 MPG (the on-board computer shows 36.8, which is too high). Power (200HP+) is more than adequate, and hadling is exceptional for this kind of car. Currently over 70,000 miles, and no problems with the car at all. Very, very solid car - much better than any of the late GM cars I have driven. Will buy the '08, I think, when it comes out.