2005 Chevrolet Malibu - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Malibu model:
I will NEVER buy another Chevy
By Nikki on 10/07/08 12:38 PM (PDT)

2005 Chevrolet Malibu LS 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

I purchased my Malibu 14 months ago. 6 cylinder, looked sporty and was roomy. I loved it for one whole month, and then it started to fall apart. In the last year, I have dealt with and replaced the following: power steering module twice, entire steering column, slip joint, lower control arm, tie rod, all four rotors and brake pads. The horn fuse lasts about 1 week before it blows out, and there is a short in the electrical system, and because of it I have replaced all turn signals and head/brake lamps in the last year. And the sun roof pours water into the back seat, and every drop shows on the cheap material. I am looking for a new car, and I will never ever buy another Chevy.

Good used car
By Dave B on 09/16/08 13:30 PM (PDT)

2005 Chevrolet Malibu 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 4A)

I love the overall gas mileage. The 4 cyclinder has good pep. I have noticed the sun roof rattles? Squeeks every now and then along with the brakes as well at times. I commute 80 miles a day and find it to be a comfortable ride. I always look forward to driving since I bought the vehicle. No regrets thus far.

Not too great
By Arnold on 09/05/08 20:25 PM (PDT)

2005 Chevrolet Malibu 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 4A)

I had this car for three years. Fuel consumption is great, all controls are good location. Smooth ride. Steering control and braking is excellent. Visibilty is great. Stereo doesnt have aux input and hard or cannot be upgraded. engine are noisy. I sent the car several times to the dealership for steering problem, cd drive running continously, small area paint peeling off under 2 front door and at the luggage door. Within two years under 12000 miles, they had replaced the lower ball joint and lower arm assembly due to clunking noise in the front suspension when it hit a bump even though that I drive it carefully.

Good and reliable
By Matt on 09/01/08 18:21 PM (PDT)

2005 Chevrolet Malibu 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 4A)

I've had this car for about three years now. It's at about 70 thousand miles and still running great. I have the base model, so there isn't a lot of power, but the gas mileage is great and it's got a decent amount of pep for a four cylinder. The ride is smooth and the transmission is fluid. It has plenty of leg room and the interior, while not made of top grade materials, has held up nicely to a 4 and 1 year old.

The right decision
By April on 08/29/08 10:54 AM (PDT)

2005 Chevrolet Malibu LT 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

I bought my Malibu after a month and a half of searching for a vehicle after I totaled mine. I was a bit skeptical on this purchase because I know what kind of problems Malibus have had in the past. I work with cars everyday so I get to see first hand what kind of problems come thru my door. Once I saw the car's sleek design and I was able to test drive it, I was sold. This Malibu was far past my expectations of a Malibu. I love the 3.5L V6, which my dad says is too big for me and my lead foot! I purchased this car used with 80000 miles on it. I have put almost 6000 on it since I bought it and I have very few complaints. There are a few bumps here and there, but thats normal for a used car.

Excellent Value
By JD on 08/22/08 07:41 AM (PDT)

2005 Chevrolet Malibu LS 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

Terribly disappointed in my two Toyotas. Went back to Chevy and wow what a car. Great gas mileage, very good road handling, and competitively priced. Am getting ready to buy a new car and it will be another Chevrolet product.

Should have known better
By Mike on 08/13/08 17:22 PM (PDT)

2005 Chevrolet Malibu LT 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

Should have known better than to buy another Malibu after having problems with an '01 model. With the exception of the steering column recall, this car seemed very good until about 3 years in. CD changer doesn't work. Interior shotty. Power steering started acting up, numerous squeaks. Then the starting began sticking, and the ignition in the dash had to be replaced at a cost of over $500. Finally traded the thing when the entire electrical system went haywire and blew the turn signals. Chevy makes good trucks; why can't they make a car? I will never own another GM car.

2005 Malibu LT 6-cylinder
By Carguy999 on 07/12/08 12:53 PM (PDT)

2005 Chevrolet Malibu LT 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

I originally bought this car to commute 76 miles roundtrip to work. Very comfortable, very reliable, very fuel- efficient. 70% highway driving has yielded an average of 28mpg. The only repairs needed have been a couple of recalls and a steering fix common for this generation of Malibus; otherwise just oil changes and tire rotations. Not an exciting car, but very, very practical. I had intended to sell it now that I'm retired, but I'm re- thinking that. A far better value, and a much better car, than my wife's 2006 Toyota Camry.

My Malibu LS
By Chevyman on 07/05/08 06:49 AM (PDT)

2005 Chevrolet Malibu LS 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

I purchased my Malibu after a long 3 year battle with my 2001 Saturn L-200. Great car only issue is a slight dash rattle between 50-62 mph other than that it's great. Fuel economy is awesome. Great power. Roomy interior. I noticed one individual stated that Chevys are junk and that he was going back to Toyota well go, buy foreign and push our country into more of a recession. This car is a good value no matter what way you look at it.

Safety nightmare
By Sheila on 07/02/08 16:59 PM (PDT)

2005 Chevrolet Malibu LT 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

Since I purchased the car brand new I have been to the dealer for the following problems: New rack and pinion replaced twice, 2 bald tires replaced from bad alignment, heated seats go on randomly, the radio switch on the steering wheel stopped working, and now the seat brackets broke on the drivers seat and the car was never involved in an accident. GM showed no concern for my safety and said it was not under warranty anymore! The car only has 34000 miles on it. the interior is a fake leather and shows all spots and water drops. they do not come clean. On the highway you cannot have the back windows open or there is a tunnel sound in your ears.