Used 2005 Chevrolet Malibu Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2005 Chevrolet Malibu - Consumer Reviews

2005 Chevrolet Malibu

View reviews for a specific Malibu model:

Needs Work
By Trish

2005 Chevrolet Malibu LT 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

I purchased this car with 26K miles on it and now has 70K. It has had a starter issue since purchase keep saying nothing wrong and wont fix. Lights burn out constantly, now the body control module has gone out. Great fuel economy, smooth ride, fun car, just has to many problems for the price I paid. I'm hoping the body control module solves all the electrical problems going on because I could not even drive the car while waiting the last 3 weeks for the backordered part to come into the dealer. Also this part can only be installed by the dealer because of programing my cheaper mechanic can not do it. I'm not thrilled, most likely will go foreign next time around.

Favorite Features

Fuel economy, comfort.

Suggested Improvements

Electrical, lighting

Best for My Money
By Bigbassdrum60

2005 Chevrolet Malibu 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 4A)

I bought this Malibu in 2005 right off the lot new. It has never ever failed me. Great on mileage and I am averaging over 28 mpg with it. It owes me nothing. Comfortable, built well and except for the brakes, Disc in front and Drums in rear getting hard spots and will need to be turned)I have no issues with this car. Best car I bought for the money. Last year it got me through the snow when my wife's Volvo S-80 wouldn't. Great traction with the tires I am using in snow. I suggest using Bridgestone Blizack tires on this car for added snow performance.

Favorite Features

Looks and mileage

Suggested Improvements

Brakes, need to be reconfigured and the compartment noise level, could have been better insulated for noise.

Had for 3 years - Great car
By Garry D

2005 Chevrolet Malibu LS 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

I see a lot of the negative reviews, and the only things I agree with are the ease at which the cloth seats stain and the lamps burning out. Apart from these two issues I have put about 70K miles on the vehicle and no issues. Car runs smooth and has pep as a result of the V6. Fuel economy is great and while the looks are now a little outdated I am happy enough.

Favorite Features

Gas Mileage, power and reliability

Suggested Improvements

Ugly seat stains that won't come out.

Not the best I have owned
By Martin

2005 Chevrolet Malibu LS 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

The interior is so easily stained along with a crappy radio. But the biggest issue is the steering. GM knew the steering was flawed but failed to recall it- I fixed the top part but today my mechanic told me to stop driving it. It will cost $900 to fix. The mileage and power have been nice and it is a pretty car. I replaced my wife's car last month and now have to buy another one. It will not be a GM.

Favorite Features

Power of the 3500 V6 and the great mileage, 34 highway.

Suggested Improvements

They have built the new Malibu- hope it's better this series car.

EPS Should be recalled!
By Kate

2005 Chevrolet Malibu LT 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

There are many things I love about the Malibu, but the Electronic Power Steering (EPS) is not high on my list. I have heard that the component was purchased from Toyota (which should automatically raise suspicion). After many embarrassing noise episodes, the EPS finally went on my Malibu while on the Highway doing 65 mph. The fact that I have strong arms and the traffic was light is the only thing that saved me from a major accident. When is this hazard going to get enough attention to warrant a recall? Who do we complain to, (other than Chevy, they are useless).