2005 Chevrolet Malibu Base Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2005 Chevrolet Malibu - Consumer Reviews

2005 Malibu Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Malibu model:

Sort Reviews by

Comfortable Driving
By sueATL

2005 Chevrolet Malibu 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 4A)

Bought this car in 2006. Normal wear and tear, service regularly and get good mileage. Had to change rotors and no other parts so far. However was very disappointed to pay over $200 to exchange steering fluid. this should be change with regular oil change and not hit with high bill at 100,000 miles. Also dash light went out and cost $200 to replaced according to mechanic because of location. Small changes can reduce service cost. Overall good road experience. Will buy another Malibu.

Favorite Features

Like cruise control.

Suggested Improvements

Allow for regular steering fluid changes and lifelong dash light. I favor the new look.

Great fuel mileage - expensive repairs
By Domino

2005 Chevrolet Malibu 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 4A)

The fuel mileage is excellent. The brakes fail way too early. I have gone through one complete brake shoes/pads/rotors.drums replacement at about 50,000 miles. Now the front rotors are warped again.. The transmission failed at 84,000 miles. I had it serviced at 80,000 miles (maintenance schedule calls for transmission service at 100,000 miles). I now have over $3000 in repairs on a 5 year car. I have a 13 year old Ford ranger (90k miles) that I have spent about $1000 in repairs. Good thing GM now has 10 year 1,000,000 power train warranty. However, what will that warranty do for you if the car strands you for 5 days 1000 miles from home while you wait for the transmission to be repaired?

Favorite Features

Very smooth engine. Excellent ride characteristics. Lots of interior room.

Suggested Improvements

Improve the brakes and transmission.

Car has issues
By Cal

2005 Chevrolet Malibu LS 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

I must say the car drove and performed nice when new.I have the 2.2 4cyl. And must say this motor for the size out performs most V6 engines I have had. Chev made one powerful little engine with excellent fuel economy.

Favorite Features

My Favorite features would have to be the engine. Very impressive 4cyl

Suggested Improvements

Now this may take awhile. The car overall has some serious issues that should be recalled.The Steering gear has been replaced twice. Signal lights and head lamps burn out monthly.Shifter selector quit working @ about 23000km. Rotors and brakes are horrible. Chevrolet needs to recall these issues.

Built Not To Last
By rosalind

2005 Chevrolet Malibu 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 4A)

I have had several problems with my Malibu. The sun visor mirror had to be replaced. The check engine light had to be serviced. The steering shaft has been replaced 3 times. My car jerks and feels like its going to take off at least 3 times per month and the dealer doesn't know why. I am always replacing bulbs. The passenger door would not shut completely and has to be fixed. I have reached 55,000 miles and I feel that this car is not going to last another 55,000 miles.

Favorite Features

My car starts right up and has not left me stranded.

Think Twice Before Buying
By my 2nd malibu

2005 Chevrolet Malibu 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 4A)

I have owned my malibu for approx. three years. I was very disappointed at the fact that I have had my car in the shop for the same problem three times with service tech's not knowing what was wrong with the car. I have also had to replace every single exterior light on my car, even the L.E.D. break light that was supposed to never go out. It's sad to say that the previous malibu I owned a 99 model has never had any problems and continues to run great.

Favorite Features

I love the display that on the dash. It gives great info. including temp, reads my music giving me their titles, and it's bright easy to see.

Suggested Improvements

Electrical problems all the way around.

One of Two Best Cars I've Ever Owned
By Ann

2005 Chevrolet Malibu LT 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

I've owned five cars. One of them a Honda Accord (bought new. It was a miserable lemon.) This is one of the two best cars I've ever owned (other was an Olds Cutlass Supreme). Reliable, runs great, no big maintenance or performance issues. Not as stylish as I'd like, but I got features I never dreamed I'd have on a car. Including: remote engine ignition (I've never scrapped ice off the windshield / I can get in a warm car on a 12-degree morning), OnStar (excellent response time and personnel for flat tire / dead battery), great gas mileage, comfortable seats, great brakes, satellite radio, exact temperature control. Would buy another Malibu if I needed a new car.

Are you kidding me? Again?
By 05 Chevy

2005 Chevrolet Malibu LS 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

I HATE THIS CAR! The steering goes out whenever it want's. I've had it fixed only after 6 months of owning-yet, it continues to happen. It has just shut off on me at redlights, it pretty much starts when it feels like it. It's actually in the shop now because it didn't want to start. Oh, and the lights on this car blow so frequently be prepared to have the Autozone workers know you by name. I HATE THIS CAR! Never will I in a million years buy another Chevy or recommend this piece of crap car to anyone.

Favorite Features

.....I'll get back to you on that.

Suggested Improvements

Steering column Lights/turn signal Brakes Ignition Tires Cd changer Interior CHEVY MALIBU '05

glad tidings
By larry

2005 Chevrolet Malibu LS 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

we all expect the best and this malibu has performed much better than average. one complaint that i have is mileage odometer is off reads about 103+ miles for every 100 chev says this is not unreasonable and won't fix. i have had turn signal bulbs burn out but replaced with heavy duty no problems.

Favorite Features

powerful engine, smooth automatic, remote start,electric steering,power peddles,gas mileage 35 mpg after correcting for error. conservative style ok for me.

Suggested Improvements

cloth seats could be upgraded. odometer should be more accurate. if car was couple of inches wider in rear seating better to seat three.

First car
By Chris

2005 Chevrolet Malibu LT 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

I bought this car used, and the main purpose is to get me from work and back. This is my first car, and after training in other vehicles I can say that I fit in this car very comfortably, more so than my folks old Cougar, my friend's new Solara, or the last Sentra I sat in. I've had other Chevy owners (mostly pickups) call it cute, and then look shocked when they see a 6'2" football build guy come out of it. The sound is great, everything works just fine. Passing cars in Upstate NY's hilly roads is an everyday thing so I love the V6 engine and the power behind it. The safety features (ABS, Traction Control, Multiple airbags, passive anti-theft, etc) assured the folks that I'd be just fine.

Favorite Features

Radio (and it's many different functions), Sunroof, power everything, Safety features (see above), fuel economy beats out other more recent cars, great feel to the car, simple and unique outer design, comfortable to drive.

Suggested Improvements

I know the compass addition has been said before (and that it's available in the Maxx) but it'd be nice. From what I've heard it doesn't take custom- burned CDs very well, unless there's a trick to it. The semi-manual transmission mode I saw on a friend's Mazda6 would have made a sweet addition here.

Wrong Car
By Simone

2005 Chevrolet Malibu LS 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

I bought my 2005 Chevy Malibu in May 2006. My chevy has about 68000 thousand miles on it. Within in having it 2 weeks I had to take it back to have the rotors turned. I have had to replace front rotors, the right control arm, have a heating panel remove to stop it from making noise. I have also had the ishaft in the steering fixed three times. The gearing has been replaced, and the water pump has had to be replaced. Most of this was after the warranty expired of course. Now I have complained to GM about the steering issue, and all they are willing to give me is a 15% discount off having it fixed. This car was certified and had low mileage. I will never buy another Chevrolet vehicle.