Used 2005 Chevrolet Malibu Consumer Reviews - 174 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2005 Chevrolet Malibu - Consumer Reviews

2005 Chevrolet Malibu

View reviews for a specific Malibu model:

Don't buy a Malibu
By dont buy a malibu

2005 Chevrolet Malibu 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 4A)

This car has poor fuel mileage, I don't care what the specs say, and I am taking into consideration that these are usually exaggerated. I traded a 2003 Mercury Sable with 40k something miles on it, thinking i would get a bit better gas mileage with a newer vehicle, six cylinder but should be better in mileage as smaller vehicle and less weight and other factors. Darn things is eating me alive, i have decided to sell the thing and am driving my other vehicle in the mean time, a 2001 Ford Taurus (73000 miles) a larger car that is getting better mileage than this thing.

Just a wild guess, but bet your transmission or key factors in drive train, in this thing is causing the problem. How can a heavier, older, car get better gas mileage, both in city and highway?

Nice car but...
By Dee

2005 Chevrolet Malibu LS 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

This car had 8100 miles on it when we bought it in Dec. At first we had no problems but now it makes an awful noise on right side when hitting rough road or potholes. Definitely something wrong somewhere. Also a rattle in right front door (that just started). Otherwise, it's nice looking & fun to drive. Handles well on the freeway or in the city. I'm not sure at this point if I would recommend this car, & doubt if we will keep it over 3 years, if that long. We had a 1995 Pontiac Grand Prix that rode better with no rattles, but it was getting too many mechanical problems. For the price we paid, this Malibu probably isn't a bad car.

Love the stereo & sunroof. We like the way it handles, even on the freeway.

It's blah inside & seats aren't the most comfortable. Make adjustable seats for both sides, & more interior color contrasts as in the Ford Fusion or Hyundai Sonata.

Our third Malibu
By larry tobias

2005 Chevrolet Malibu LS 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

This is our third Malibu in a row we have leased. We like the car's styling, reliability, size , and comfort (although the front seats could use a little more support under the legs). The mileage is good overall (about 22mpg around town, but over 33 mpg on the highway. We like the car's little computer system it has on board, that tells you miles to go on the gas you have left, oil life indicator, dual trip milage counters, outside temp. and ice warning indicator. The trunk is very large. All in all we are very satified. We got a lot of car for $18,000 dollars, which translated to about $250 dollars a month for our lease, with zero down!

As said, the mini compter system.

The front seats need a little more support.

Great Road Car - 2005 Malibu
By Doug

2005 Chevrolet Malibu LT 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

I am a big guy, 6'3" and 250 lbs. I love this car. I am on the road all the time (sales) and put tons of mileage on the car. Most of it is highway mileage. There is a lot of room in this car, far better than most of its competition. My head is nowhere near the roof! I love the adjustable pedals, when I am on the highway, I can stretch my legs all the way out, and my big feet fit behind the pedals. Very comfortable. Mucho power to pass on the highway. I too find the steering a little hard to get used to. I have figured out that if you wait longer into the turn before turning the wheel, it helps. I was used to a pickup, so this is different, but OK.

Info Center, adjustable steering and pedals, head and shoulder room, overall comfort, gas mileage, power, remote start, is great for warming up on cold mornings.

Steering feel. The center console with cup holders could be reworked. When using the manual shift, there isn't room for a drink in the back cupholder.

Best gas mileage in V6, has high torque
By steineri

2005 Chevrolet Malibu LS 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

Great acceleration and gas mileage. Perhaps most importantly nowadays, it gets MUCH better gas mileage than it's competitors. The horsepower looks slightly lower than some other V-6 cars in its class but most other cars list their hp at really high rpm's (i.e. 6000+). The Malibu's 3.5 liter v-6 has a LOT more torque (which is what matters) than the engine's of its competitors. I literally get 38mpg on interstate trips with mostly flat driving when I drive conservatively.

Powerful yet fuel efficient v-6

Make the cloth interior look better for those of us who don't want to spend thousands of dollars on leather.