Used 2005 Chevrolet Malibu Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2005 Chevrolet Malibu - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Malibu model:

No comparison to the former Malibu
By Patrick

2005 Chevrolet Malibu LS 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

After 3 weeks of many test drives and research the decision was far too obvious. My LS has 16,000Kms, the full airbag package, ABS, traction control, V6, OnStar. Safety rated as one of the top 6 cars and the only North American car on the list! It keeps good company with Lexus, VW, Saab, Subaru. My decision was based on safety, price, and fun to drive-ness. I got way more than that! The fit and finish on the exterior metal is amazing. It's a classy undiscovered jewel in a sea of hype and look-alikes! Check out the new Malibu. Saying its new & improved doesnt begin to do it justice. This is the best car I've ever owned, and there's been a lot!

Favorite Features

Contrary to a lot of reviews, I like the unique looks and the electric steering. I think both are a bit too out of the ordinary or progressive for some. The solid feel, handling and quietness on the road are all excellent. The car is fun to drive, smooth, powerful, and economical. A true bargain!

Suggested Improvements

MP3 and auxillary input capability on the audio system! Softer cloth for the seats. The muffler is too visible, it hangs too low.

Back to the drawing board
By mooser

2005 Chevrolet Malibu LS 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

As soon as I hit 5,000 miles all went wrong.Terrible noise and klunking in front end effects how car drives but according to GM not a safety concern.Car is getting worse over time. Dealership tells me they have orders from GM not to look at front end.GM tells me to be patient they will have a solution in 3 months or so. No biggie only dealing with this since Feb. GM not helpful at all! Now I am leaking gas out of the engine. At 6,000 miles I needed a whole new exhaust system and the steering column replaced after the steering locked up on me driving to work. But hey GM says it is safe to drive! Now the car just sits in my driveway no way I am placing my family in this car or any other GM Car

Suggested Improvements

Can you say recall

Malibu LS V6
By DA

2005 Chevrolet Malibu LT 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

Excellent care for the money. You can catch this car used for a reasonable and fair price. It is much improved as compared to previous Chevrolet vehicles i have owned. I was considering Toyota or Honda...but overall I am equally satisfied with the new Chevrolet Malibu LS V6.

Favorite Features

DIC information system is awesome, raido sounds good, features are good. The look of the car really grows on you (or at least it did on me).

Suggested Improvements

Make the seats wider/more comfortable, and the back a little larger with more room.

Don't buy a Malibu
By dont buy a malibu

2005 Chevrolet Malibu 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 4A)

This car has poor fuel mileage, I don't care what the specs say, and I am taking into consideration that these are usually exaggerated. I traded a 2003 Mercury Sable with 40k something miles on it, thinking i would get a bit better gas mileage with a newer vehicle, six cylinder but should be better in mileage as smaller vehicle and less weight and other factors. Darn things is eating me alive, i have decided to sell the thing and am driving my other vehicle in the mean time, a 2001 Ford Taurus (73000 miles) a larger car that is getting better mileage than this thing.

Suggested Improvements

Just a wild guess, but bet your transmission or key factors in drive train, in this thing is causing the problem. How can a heavier, older, car get better gas mileage, both in city and highway?

Nice car but...
By Dee

2005 Chevrolet Malibu LS 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

This car had 8100 miles on it when we bought it in Dec. At first we had no problems but now it makes an awful noise on right side when hitting rough road or potholes. Definitely something wrong somewhere. Also a rattle in right front door (that just started). Otherwise, it's nice looking & fun to drive. Handles well on the freeway or in the city. I'm not sure at this point if I would recommend this car, & doubt if we will keep it over 3 years, if that long. We had a 1995 Pontiac Grand Prix that rode better with no rattles, but it was getting too many mechanical problems. For the price we paid, this Malibu probably isn't a bad car.

Favorite Features

Love the stereo & sunroof. We like the way it handles, even on the freeway.

Suggested Improvements

It's blah inside & seats aren't the most comfortable. Make adjustable seats for both sides, & more interior color contrasts as in the Ford Fusion or Hyundai Sonata.