2005 Chevrolet Malibu Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Malibu model:
Needs Work
By Trish on 09/02/10 12:07 PM (PDT)

2005 Chevrolet Malibu Sedan LT 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

I purchased this car with 26K miles on it and now has 70K. It has had a starter issue since purchase keep saying nothing wrong and wont fix. Lights burn out constantly, now the body control module has gone out. Great fuel economy, smooth ride, fun car, just has to many problems for the price I paid. I'm hoping the body control module solves all the electrical problems going on because I could not even drive the car while waiting the last 3 weeks for the backordered part to come into the dealer. Also this part can only be installed by the dealer because of programing my cheaper mechanic can not do it. I'm not thrilled, most likely will go foreign next time around.

EPS Should be recalled!
By Kate on 06/28/10 07:07 AM (PDT)

2005 Chevrolet Malibu Sedan LT 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

There are many things I love about the Malibu, but the Electronic Power Steering (EPS) is not high on my list. I have heard that the component was purchased from Toyota (which should automatically raise suspicion). After many embarrassing noise episodes, the EPS finally went on my Malibu while on the Highway doing 65 mph. The fact that I have strong arms and the traffic was light is the only thing that saved me from a major accident. When is this hazard going to get enough attention to warrant a recall? Who do we complain to, (other than Chevy, they are useless).

One of Two Best Cars I've Ever Owned
By Ann on 01/22/10 11:41 AM (PST)

2005 Chevrolet Malibu Sedan LT 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

I've owned five cars. One of them a Honda Accord (bought new. It was a miserable lemon.) This is one of the two best cars I've ever owned (other was an Olds Cutlass Supreme). Reliable, runs great, no big maintenance or performance issues. Not as stylish as I'd like, but I got features I never dreamed I'd have on a car. Including: remote engine ignition (I've never scrapped ice off the windshield / I can get in a warm car on a 12-degree morning), OnStar (excellent response time and personnel for flat tire / dead battery), great gas mileage, comfortable seats, great brakes, satellite radio, exact temperature control. Would buy another Malibu if I needed a new car.

First car
By Chris on 10/01/09 09:00 AM (PDT)

2005 Chevrolet Malibu Sedan LT 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

I bought this car used, and the main purpose is to get me from work and back. This is my first car, and after training in other vehicles I can say that I fit in this car very comfortably, more so than my folks old Cougar, my friend's new Solara, or the last Sentra I sat in. I've had other Chevy owners (mostly pickups) call it cute, and then look shocked when they see a 6'2" football build guy come out of it. The sound is great, everything works just fine. Passing cars in Upstate NY's hilly roads is an everyday thing so I love the V6 engine and the power behind it. The safety features (ABS, Traction Control, Multiple airbags, passive anti-theft, etc) assured the folks that I'd be just fine.

No more please
By Miked on 07/31/09 18:13 PM (PDT)

2005 Chevrolet Malibu Sedan LT 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

I've owned this car for three, years, will not buy another American owned mfg. Again. Car has clunked since day one like my envoy I traded in, replaced just about everything so far, and now the directional bulbs blow out weekly. The car is joke, buy a 12 pack because you will need them, and now the shifter for the lower gears don't work. Just what you need in tough economic times, more repair bills.

2005 Mailibu Maxx Best Car Ever!
By Paul on 11/27/08 11:33 AM (PST)

2005 Chevrolet Malibu Sedan LT 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

Three years of great driving and lots of power with v-6 engine. Had no problems during warranty period. However, recently noticed a noise in the steering. Car is now 3 months out of warranty and dealer called GM for me and they replaced steering column paying 75% of total cost. I was happy with this gesture from GM. I was out $150 on the total cost of repair. Car has been great in snow and ice. I got 4 studless snow tires and wheels from Tire Rack.com and it is rock solid in bad weather conditions in Idaho.

The right decision
By April on 08/29/08 10:54 AM (PDT)

2005 Chevrolet Malibu Sedan LT 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

I bought my Malibu after a month and a half of searching for a vehicle after I totaled mine. I was a bit skeptical on this purchase because I know what kind of problems Malibus have had in the past. I work with cars everyday so I get to see first hand what kind of problems come thru my door. Once I saw the car's sleek design and I was able to test drive it, I was sold. This Malibu was far past my expectations of a Malibu. I love the 3.5L V6, which my dad says is too big for me and my lead foot! I purchased this car used with 80000 miles on it. I have put almost 6000 on it since I bought it and I have very few complaints. There are a few bumps here and there, but thats normal for a used car.

Should have known better
By Mike on 08/13/08 17:22 PM (PDT)

2005 Chevrolet Malibu Sedan LT 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

Should have known better than to buy another Malibu after having problems with an '01 model. With the exception of the steering column recall, this car seemed very good until about 3 years in. CD changer doesn't work. Interior shotty. Power steering started acting up, numerous squeaks. Then the starting began sticking, and the ignition in the dash had to be replaced at a cost of over $500. Finally traded the thing when the entire electrical system went haywire and blew the turn signals. Chevy makes good trucks; why can't they make a car? I will never own another GM car.

2005 Malibu LT 6-cylinder
By Carguy999 on 07/12/08 12:53 PM (PDT)

2005 Chevrolet Malibu Sedan LT 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

I originally bought this car to commute 76 miles roundtrip to work. Very comfortable, very reliable, very fuel- efficient. 70% highway driving has yielded an average of 28mpg. The only repairs needed have been a couple of recalls and a steering fix common for this generation of Malibus; otherwise just oil changes and tire rotations. Not an exciting car, but very, very practical. I had intended to sell it now that I'm retired, but I'm re- thinking that. A far better value, and a much better car, than my wife's 2006 Toyota Camry.

Safety nightmare
By Sheila on 07/02/08 16:59 PM (PDT)

2005 Chevrolet Malibu Sedan LT 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

Since I purchased the car brand new I have been to the dealer for the following problems: New rack and pinion replaced twice, 2 bald tires replaced from bad alignment, heated seats go on randomly, the radio switch on the steering wheel stopped working, and now the seat brackets broke on the drivers seat and the car was never involved in an accident. GM showed no concern for my safety and said it was not under warranty anymore! The car only has 34000 miles on it. the interior is a fake leather and shows all spots and water drops. they do not come clean. On the highway you cannot have the back windows open or there is a tunnel sound in your ears.

1 2 3 4 5 next »