Used 2005 Chevrolet Malibu LT Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2005 Chevrolet Malibu - Consumer Reviews

2005 Chevrolet Malibu Sedan

View reviews for a specific Malibu model:

Needs Work
By Trish

2005 Chevrolet Malibu Sedan LT 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

I purchased this car with 26K miles on it and now has 70K. It has had a starter issue since purchase keep saying nothing wrong and wont fix. Lights burn out constantly, now the body control module has gone out. Great fuel economy, smooth ride, fun car, just has to many problems for the price I paid. I'm hoping the body control module solves all the electrical problems going on because I could not even drive the car while waiting the last 3 weeks for the backordered part to come into the dealer. Also this part can only be installed by the dealer because of programing my cheaper mechanic can not do it. I'm not thrilled, most likely will go foreign next time around.

Favorite Features

Fuel economy, comfort.

Suggested Improvements

Electrical, lighting

EPS Should be recalled!
By Kate

2005 Chevrolet Malibu Sedan LT 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

There are many things I love about the Malibu, but the Electronic Power Steering (EPS) is not high on my list. I have heard that the component was purchased from Toyota (which should automatically raise suspicion). After many embarrassing noise episodes, the EPS finally went on my Malibu while on the Highway doing 65 mph. The fact that I have strong arms and the traffic was light is the only thing that saved me from a major accident. When is this hazard going to get enough attention to warrant a recall? Who do we complain to, (other than Chevy, they are useless).

One of Two Best Cars I've Ever Owned
By Ann

2005 Chevrolet Malibu Sedan LT 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

I've owned five cars. One of them a Honda Accord (bought new. It was a miserable lemon.) This is one of the two best cars I've ever owned (other was an Olds Cutlass Supreme). Reliable, runs great, no big maintenance or performance issues. Not as stylish as I'd like, but I got features I never dreamed I'd have on a car. Including: remote engine ignition (I've never scrapped ice off the windshield / I can get in a warm car on a 12-degree morning), OnStar (excellent response time and personnel for flat tire / dead battery), great gas mileage, comfortable seats, great brakes, satellite radio, exact temperature control. Would buy another Malibu if I needed a new car.

First car
By Chris

2005 Chevrolet Malibu Sedan LT 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

I bought this car used, and the main purpose is to get me from work and back. This is my first car, and after training in other vehicles I can say that I fit in this car very comfortably, more so than my folks old Cougar, my friend's new Solara, or the last Sentra I sat in. I've had other Chevy owners (mostly pickups) call it cute, and then look shocked when they see a 6'2" football build guy come out of it. The sound is great, everything works just fine. Passing cars in Upstate NY's hilly roads is an everyday thing so I love the V6 engine and the power behind it. The safety features (ABS, Traction Control, Multiple airbags, passive anti-theft, etc) assured the folks that I'd be just fine.

Favorite Features

Radio (and it's many different functions), Sunroof, power everything, Safety features (see above), fuel economy beats out other more recent cars, great feel to the car, simple and unique outer design, comfortable to drive.

Suggested Improvements

I know the compass addition has been said before (and that it's available in the Maxx) but it'd be nice. From what I've heard it doesn't take custom- burned CDs very well, unless there's a trick to it. The semi-manual transmission mode I saw on a friend's Mazda6 would have made a sweet addition here.

No more please
By Miked

2005 Chevrolet Malibu Sedan LT 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

I've owned this car for three, years, will not buy another American owned mfg. Again. Car has clunked since day one like my envoy I traded in, replaced just about everything so far, and now the directional bulbs blow out weekly. The car is joke, buy a 12 pack because you will need them, and now the shifter for the lower gears don't work. Just what you need in tough economic times, more repair bills.

Favorite Features

none