Used 2005 Chevrolet Malibu Base Sedan Consumer Reviews - 41 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2005 Chevrolet Malibu Sedan - Consumer Reviews

2005 Chevrolet Malibu Sedan

View reviews for a specific Malibu model:

JUNK!!!
By Adam M

2005 Chevrolet Malibu Sedan 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 4A)

Bought vehicle with approximately 30,000 miles on it. Problems started around 70,000 miles. Engine died due to defective timing chain tensioner. at about 100,000 miles the sub frame rusted out and failed, trashing the rack and pinion steering. Both wheel front wheel bearings have been replaced around 105,000. now at about 120,000 engine AGAIN!! When we replaced the engine we put a used one in with all new timing chain components... but yet again the engine failed.( "ecoTech" engine) I have bought my last Chevy. period!!! this car has costed us about 6500 in repairs. junk... junk.... JUNK!

best car I have ever owned
By ashley

2005 Chevrolet Malibu Sedan 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 4A)

I bought my car used off a car lot a year ago now. It already had 202,000 miles on it and now has about 229,000. I've had no problems with my car. Love it and so would buy another one.

Truly the perfect sedan
By casper21

2005 Chevrolet Malibu Sedan 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 4A)

My 2005 Chevy Malibu has 56,500 miles and has never given me any problems, barring the occasional Malibu moment. The 2.2L 4-cylinder engine is surprsingly robust and highway passing is not as difficult as it generally is with these type of engines. The interior, while considered boring by many, is to me just practical enough without being completely ugly. The cargo space, both in the passenger cabin and the trunk is very surprising. Several employees at department stores have doubted that large objects could indeed fit in my spacious trunk, but they were also surprised that a full-size outdoor grill slid in with ease. Overall, my only complaint about the car is the lack of reading lamps.

The 25/35 gas mileage in a car the size of the Malibu is hard to come by.

There are no reading lamps or cruise control on the base model, both EXTREMELY normal features.

Best for My Money
By Bigbassdrum60

2005 Chevrolet Malibu Sedan 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 4A)

I bought this Malibu in 2005 right off the lot new. It has never ever failed me. Great on mileage and I am averaging over 28 mpg with it. It owes me nothing. Comfortable, built well and except for the brakes, Disc in front and Drums in rear getting hard spots and will need to be turned)I have no issues with this car. Best car I bought for the money. Last year it got me through the snow when my wife's Volvo S-80 wouldn't. Great traction with the tires I am using in snow. I suggest using Bridgestone Blizack tires on this car for added snow performance.

Looks and mileage

Brakes, need to be reconfigured and the compartment noise level, could have been better insulated for noise.

Comfortable Driving
By sueATL

2005 Chevrolet Malibu Sedan 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 4A)

Bought this car in 2006. Normal wear and tear, service regularly and get good mileage. Had to change rotors and no other parts so far. However was very disappointed to pay over $200 to exchange steering fluid. this should be change with regular oil change and not hit with high bill at 100,000 miles. Also dash light went out and cost $200 to replaced according to mechanic because of location. Small changes can reduce service cost. Overall good road experience. Will buy another Malibu.

Like cruise control.

Allow for regular steering fluid changes and lifelong dash light. I favor the new look.