Used 2005 Chevrolet Malibu Sedan Consumer Reviews - 174 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2005 Chevrolet Malibu Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Malibu model:

JUNK!!!
By Adam M

2005 Chevrolet Malibu Sedan 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 4A)

Bought vehicle with approximately 30,000 miles on it. Problems started around 70,000 miles. Engine died due to defective timing chain tensioner. at about 100,000 miles the sub frame rusted out and failed, trashing the rack and pinion steering. Both wheel front wheel bearings have been replaced around 105,000. now at about 120,000 engine AGAIN!! When we replaced the engine we put a used one in with all new timing chain components... but yet again the engine failed.( "ecoTech" engine) I have bought my last Chevy. period!!! this car has costed us about 6500 in repairs. junk... junk.... JUNK!

best car I have ever owned
By ashley

2005 Chevrolet Malibu Sedan 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 4A)

I bought my car used off a car lot a year ago now. It already had 202,000 miles on it and now has about 229,000. I've had no problems with my car. Love it and so would buy another one.

I would never buy this car again
By badluck5

2005 Chevrolet Malibu Sedan LS 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

When I purchased this car in 2007 I was happy because It looked prtty good. But after a few months past that's when the problems started. First it was the linement which I'm still working on getting it corrected. I;ve had this problem for years I don't know what it feels like driving a car that has good linement. I can't check my trans fulids I have to go to the dealership which I know will charge me a arm and a leg. Now my engine is shaking when I put the car in P or D. That started when I changed the air filter. the list goes on and on.. I hate this car..

Everything

Worst car I owned
By najju12

2005 Chevrolet Malibu Sedan LS 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

I don't know what people see in this car, but it is the worst car I have ever owned in my life. Family always told me to stick with toyota camry or Honda Accord, I wanted something different, and boy did I made the biggest mistake of my life. A hollow car with very bad steering and tie rod ends breaking every 10 to 20k miles. It's started to rust and good luck if you want to do some extra mods on this vehicle because it will make sure to either use stock products or it will make you pay arm and leg to drive around again. GM should be shamed of themselves and I will NEVER, EVER BUYING A GM FOR SURE. And anyone who want to take chances, good luck with disappointment. You've been warned.

Handling, Suspension, brakes, acceleration, and most importantly, starting. Stupid thing does not start most of the times unless I hit the gas pedal and I don't have a check engine sign on. No GM dealer or any other mechanic have answer to this.

Truly the perfect sedan
By casper21

2005 Chevrolet Malibu Sedan 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 4A)

My 2005 Chevy Malibu has 56,500 miles and has never given me any problems, barring the occasional Malibu moment. The 2.2L 4-cylinder engine is surprsingly robust and highway passing is not as difficult as it generally is with these type of engines. The interior, while considered boring by many, is to me just practical enough without being completely ugly. The cargo space, both in the passenger cabin and the trunk is very surprising. Several employees at department stores have doubted that large objects could indeed fit in my spacious trunk, but they were also surprised that a full-size outdoor grill slid in with ease. Overall, my only complaint about the car is the lack of reading lamps.

The 25/35 gas mileage in a car the size of the Malibu is hard to come by.

There are no reading lamps or cruise control on the base model, both EXTREMELY normal features.