2005 Chevrolet Malibu - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Malibu model:
I would never buy this car again
By badluck5 on 05/25/12 15:23 PM (PDT)

2005 Chevrolet Malibu LS 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

When I purchased this car in 2007 I was happy because It looked prtty good. But after a few months past that's when the problems started. First it was the linement which I'm still working on getting it corrected. I;ve had this problem for years I don't know what it feels like driving a car that has good linement. I can't check my trans fulids I have to go to the dealership which I know will charge me a arm and a leg. Now my engine is shaking when I put the car in P or D. That started when I changed the air filter. the list goes on and on.. I hate this car..

Worst car I owned
By najju12 on 04/18/12 08:10 AM (PDT)

2005 Chevrolet Malibu LS 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

I don't know what people see in this car, but it is the worst car I have ever owned in my life. Family always told me to stick with toyota camry or Honda Accord, I wanted something different, and boy did I made the biggest mistake of my life. A hollow car with very bad steering and tie rod ends breaking every 10 to 20k miles. It's started to rust and good luck if you want to do some extra mods on this vehicle because it will make sure to either use stock products or it will make you pay arm and leg to drive around again. GM should be shamed of themselves and I will NEVER, EVER BUYING A GM FOR SURE. And anyone who want to take chances, good luck with disappointment. You've been warned.

Good Car LS V6
By mwilliams9 on 02/14/11 19:33 PM (PST)

2005 Chevrolet Malibu LS 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

two yaers done me good so far But if it's hard to start when hot hit the gas while cranking if it don't twince. My radio just went out got A Refurbished for $185 works good now. the staring wheel got tight once coming out one tight parking space. I put in park and hit gas a littie never had that proplem agan. My wife share this car drop me off and go home and go to work and pick me up 60 miles a day alway ready to go.

286,000 miles and still going
By ramarado on 09/29/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2005 Chevrolet Malibu LS 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

Most inexpensive car I've ever owned. Absolutely no unexpected issues. Normal brake and tire wear about 80k miles each, 1 set of spark plugs, 1 belt, 2 tie rod ends and 1 battery. I've used Mobile 1 and change oil at 9k, and had the trans. serviced twice. As you've guessed I drive for my job a lot, and I don't baby it. V-6 Fuel mileage averages about 34 highway, 28 overall. Would consider a trade but afraid I can't find a more dependable car.

Had for 3 years - Great car
By Garry D on 07/31/10 14:16 PM (PDT)

2005 Chevrolet Malibu LS 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

I see a lot of the negative reviews, and the only things I agree with are the ease at which the cloth seats stain and the lamps burning out. Apart from these two issues I have put about 70K miles on the vehicle and no issues. Car runs smooth and has pep as a result of the V6. Fuel economy is great and while the looks are now a little outdated I am happy enough.

Not the best I have owned
By Martin on 07/08/10 09:54 AM (PDT)

2005 Chevrolet Malibu LS 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

The interior is so easily stained along with a crappy radio. But the biggest issue is the steering. GM knew the steering was flawed but failed to recall it- I fixed the top part but today my mechanic told me to stop driving it. It will cost $900 to fix. The mileage and power have been nice and it is a pretty car. I replaced my wife's car last month and now have to buy another one. It will not be a GM.

Car has issues
By Cal on 04/02/10 07:52 AM (PDT)

2005 Chevrolet Malibu LS 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

I must say the car drove and performed nice when new.I have the 2.2 4cyl. And must say this motor for the size out performs most V6 engines I have had. Chev made one powerful little engine with excellent fuel economy.

Are you kidding me? Again?
By 05 Chevy on 11/19/09 22:30 PM (PST)

2005 Chevrolet Malibu LS 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

I HATE THIS CAR! The steering goes out whenever it want's. I've had it fixed only after 6 months of owning-yet, it continues to happen. It has just shut off on me at redlights, it pretty much starts when it feels like it. It's actually in the shop now because it didn't want to start. Oh, and the lights on this car blow so frequently be prepared to have the Autozone workers know you by name. I HATE THIS CAR! Never will I in a million years buy another Chevy or recommend this piece of crap car to anyone.

glad tidings
By larry on 11/05/09 20:31 PM (PST)

2005 Chevrolet Malibu LS 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

we all expect the best and this malibu has performed much better than average. one complaint that i have is mileage odometer is off reads about 103+ miles for every 100 chev says this is not unreasonable and won't fix. i have had turn signal bulbs burn out but replaced with heavy duty no problems.

Wrong Car
By Simone on 09/10/09 13:16 PM (PDT)

2005 Chevrolet Malibu LS 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

I bought my 2005 Chevy Malibu in May 2006. My chevy has about 68000 thousand miles on it. Within in having it 2 weeks I had to take it back to have the rotors turned. I have had to replace front rotors, the right control arm, have a heating panel remove to stop it from making noise. I have also had the ishaft in the steering fixed three times. The gearing has been replaced, and the water pump has had to be replaced. Most of this was after the warranty expired of course. Now I have complained to GM about the steering issue, and all they are willing to give me is a 15% discount off having it fixed. This car was certified and had low mileage. I will never buy another Chevrolet vehicle.