2005 Chevrolet Malibu - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Malibu model:
Truly the perfect sedan
By casper21 on 03/04/11 18:59 PM (PST)

2005 Chevrolet Malibu 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 4A)

My 2005 Chevy Malibu has 56,500 miles and has never given me any problems, barring the occasional Malibu moment. The 2.2L 4-cylinder engine is surprsingly robust and highway passing is not as difficult as it generally is with these type of engines. The interior, while considered boring by many, is to me just practical enough without being completely ugly. The cargo space, both in the passenger cabin and the trunk is very surprising. Several employees at department stores have doubted that large objects could indeed fit in my spacious trunk, but they were also surprised that a full-size outdoor grill slid in with ease. Overall, my only complaint about the car is the lack of reading lamps.

Best for My Money
By Bigbassdrum60 on 08/01/10 13:25 PM (PDT)

2005 Chevrolet Malibu 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 4A)

I bought this Malibu in 2005 right off the lot new. It has never ever failed me. Great on mileage and I am averaging over 28 mpg with it. It owes me nothing. Comfortable, built well and except for the brakes, Disc in front and Drums in rear getting hard spots and will need to be turned)I have no issues with this car. Best car I bought for the money. Last year it got me through the snow when my wife's Volvo S-80 wouldn't. Great traction with the tires I am using in snow. I suggest using Bridgestone Blizack tires on this car for added snow performance.

Comfortable Driving
By sueATL on 06/23/10 16:13 PM (PDT)

2005 Chevrolet Malibu 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 4A)

Bought this car in 2006. Normal wear and tear, service regularly and get good mileage. Had to change rotors and no other parts so far. However was very disappointed to pay over $200 to exchange steering fluid. this should be change with regular oil change and not hit with high bill at 100,000 miles. Also dash light went out and cost $200 to replaced according to mechanic because of location. Small changes can reduce service cost. Overall good road experience. Will buy another Malibu.

Great fuel mileage - expensive repairs
By Domino on 06/18/10 07:43 AM (PDT)

2005 Chevrolet Malibu 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 4A)

The fuel mileage is excellent. The brakes fail way too early. I have gone through one complete brake shoes/pads/rotors.drums replacement at about 50,000 miles. Now the front rotors are warped again.. The transmission failed at 84,000 miles. I had it serviced at 80,000 miles (maintenance schedule calls for transmission service at 100,000 miles). I now have over $3000 in repairs on a 5 year car. I have a 13 year old Ford ranger (90k miles) that I have spent about $1000 in repairs. Good thing GM now has 10 year 1,000,000 power train warranty. However, what will that warranty do for you if the car strands you for 5 days 1000 miles from home while you wait for the transmission to be repaired?

Built Not To Last
By rosalind on 02/05/10 11:37 AM (PST)

2005 Chevrolet Malibu 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 4A)

I have had several problems with my Malibu. The sun visor mirror had to be replaced. The check engine light had to be serviced. The steering shaft has been replaced 3 times. My car jerks and feels like its going to take off at least 3 times per month and the dealer doesn't know why. I am always replacing bulbs. The passenger door would not shut completely and has to be fixed. I have reached 55,000 miles and I feel that this car is not going to last another 55,000 miles.

Think Twice Before Buying
By my 2nd malibu on 01/28/10 17:52 PM (PST)

2005 Chevrolet Malibu 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 4A)

I have owned my malibu for approx. three years. I was very disappointed at the fact that I have had my car in the shop for the same problem three times with service tech's not knowing what was wrong with the car. I have also had to replace every single exterior light on my car, even the L.E.D. break light that was supposed to never go out. It's sad to say that the previous malibu I owned a 99 model has never had any problems and continues to run great.

Great car for midwest weather
By Brajesh on 08/22/09 20:34 PM (PDT)

2005 Chevrolet Malibu 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 4A)

Bought my Malibu with 19K miles on it. I now have 58K on it. I bought Malibu as I always wanted to try an American car. I have not been disappointed. In last 4 yrs I never had any maintenance job on this car. I have driven to places like Green Bay from Chicago with heavy snow but the car has done very well. With outside temp of -40 F, the car starts in 1-2 try. I was amazed by it. I don't know about other GM cars but I would surely recommend Malibu to anyone who wants a midsize.

dont buy gmc
By patriotic gal on 08/18/09 20:59 PM (PDT)

2005 Chevrolet Malibu 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 4A)

I too will not buy another one, Chevy of any kind, does not hold resell. The inside is built shoddy, carpet has holes. Have replaced ignition twice in 6 months, power window motor went out and was so called fixed at dealer, shoddy job, air condition control has to be repaired .

problems w/ engine only 71000 miles
By asdfg123 on 07/30/09 19:02 PM (PDT)

2005 Chevrolet Malibu 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 4A)

I did not have problems within the first 3 years of purchasing the vehicle..Then one day the vehicle starting making a clicking noise...They say the >>cam--??-- valve>>> went in the engine. Jasper is saying that in 2005 the engines were made differently and now they are breaking down around 70000 miles....so they want you to buy a new engine.....There is no recall even though they knew it would be a problem in the future....Not everyone can afford a new engine when on a limited budget....if these manufactures knew there was a problem why no recall......

Caution, I wouldnt buy another one
By T. Bronk on 07/01/09 13:07 PM (PDT)

2005 Chevrolet Malibu 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 4A)

I bought this car brand new in late 2004. I had it for about three months, when the steering gears needed replacement. About a year and 1/2 later, I had the same issue. Again, replaced the steering gears and guess what is wrong again. Not to mention I have already had the heater unit replaced and now the AC unit doesnt work. For the money, you get a good deal, but for the value, I dont think so. It's funny, I bought a Mazda & Chevy from this dealer, and when I asked them which 1 they thought I have brought into the shop the most, they said the Mazda. WRONG 7 years NO ISSUES. Chevy Malibu on the other hand... Going to head out and trade in this junk car, Now I know why they are going belly up