Used 2005 Chevrolet Malibu Base Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2005 Chevrolet Malibu - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Malibu model:

Truly the perfect sedan
By casper21

2005 Chevrolet Malibu 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 4A)

My 2005 Chevy Malibu has 56,500 miles and has never given me any problems, barring the occasional Malibu moment. The 2.2L 4-cylinder engine is surprsingly robust and highway passing is not as difficult as it generally is with these type of engines. The interior, while considered boring by many, is to me just practical enough without being completely ugly. The cargo space, both in the passenger cabin and the trunk is very surprising. Several employees at department stores have doubted that large objects could indeed fit in my spacious trunk, but they were also surprised that a full-size outdoor grill slid in with ease. Overall, my only complaint about the car is the lack of reading lamps.

The 25/35 gas mileage in a car the size of the Malibu is hard to come by.

There are no reading lamps or cruise control on the base model, both EXTREMELY normal features.

Best for My Money
By Bigbassdrum60

2005 Chevrolet Malibu 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 4A)

I bought this Malibu in 2005 right off the lot new. It has never ever failed me. Great on mileage and I am averaging over 28 mpg with it. It owes me nothing. Comfortable, built well and except for the brakes, Disc in front and Drums in rear getting hard spots and will need to be turned)I have no issues with this car. Best car I bought for the money. Last year it got me through the snow when my wife's Volvo S-80 wouldn't. Great traction with the tires I am using in snow. I suggest using Bridgestone Blizack tires on this car for added snow performance.

Looks and mileage

Brakes, need to be reconfigured and the compartment noise level, could have been better insulated for noise.

Comfortable Driving
By sueATL

2005 Chevrolet Malibu 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 4A)

Bought this car in 2006. Normal wear and tear, service regularly and get good mileage. Had to change rotors and no other parts so far. However was very disappointed to pay over $200 to exchange steering fluid. this should be change with regular oil change and not hit with high bill at 100,000 miles. Also dash light went out and cost $200 to replaced according to mechanic because of location. Small changes can reduce service cost. Overall good road experience. Will buy another Malibu.

Like cruise control.

Allow for regular steering fluid changes and lifelong dash light. I favor the new look.

Great fuel mileage - expensive repairs
By Domino

2005 Chevrolet Malibu 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 4A)

The fuel mileage is excellent. The brakes fail way too early. I have gone through one complete brake shoes/pads/rotors.drums replacement at about 50,000 miles. Now the front rotors are warped again.. The transmission failed at 84,000 miles. I had it serviced at 80,000 miles (maintenance schedule calls for transmission service at 100,000 miles). I now have over $3000 in repairs on a 5 year car. I have a 13 year old Ford ranger (90k miles) that I have spent about $1000 in repairs. Good thing GM now has 10 year 1,000,000 power train warranty. However, what will that warranty do for you if the car strands you for 5 days 1000 miles from home while you wait for the transmission to be repaired?

Very smooth engine. Excellent ride characteristics. Lots of interior room.

Improve the brakes and transmission.

Built Not To Last
By rosalind

2005 Chevrolet Malibu 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 4A)

I have had several problems with my Malibu. The sun visor mirror had to be replaced. The check engine light had to be serviced. The steering shaft has been replaced 3 times. My car jerks and feels like its going to take off at least 3 times per month and the dealer doesn't know why. I am always replacing bulbs. The passenger door would not shut completely and has to be fixed. I have reached 55,000 miles and I feel that this car is not going to last another 55,000 miles.

My car starts right up and has not left me stranded.