Used 2004 Chevrolet Malibu Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2004 Chevrolet Malibu - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Malibu model:

Cheap!
By Gbarclay

2004 Chevrolet Malibu LS 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

We bought car brand new and within a few months, the check engine light came on. It has been going on and off for the past 3 1/2 years. Car has been to dealer 6 times for problems with gas cap, problems with fuel sensors, and various other fuel- related issues. ABS light came on and went off for no apparent reason. Used to get 34 MPG, but since dealer has "fixed" my car 6 times, it now only gets 24 MPG. Interior fabric is cheap and stains extremely easily. CDs get stuck in the CD player. My last new car was a Lumina in 1994 and I loved it. Hate this Malibu. Trading it in.

Steering is good and gas mileage decent. I do like the color and exterior styling. Trunk is roomy- plenty of room for groceries.

GM needs to take note of repeated requests for improved interior finishing quality.

Still is Smooth
By Shortyflow

2004 Chevrolet Malibu 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 4A)

I had bought this vehicle to become a pizza delivery driver. It was my first vehicle with 45,000 miles on it, it now has 76,000 . it runs good and it drives great. Brakes are all that I have had to do.

I like the handling and the fact that it feels like a you know, big body. Recently put 5 point bucket seats in it. I tell you driving is the ish now

More style

Love It, But Has Not Been Kind
By Krista

2004 Chevrolet Malibu LT 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

I love the power of the car and how comfortable it is to drive, but it has not been kind. The computer module went on the car just after the warranty expired. It fried the part of the car that charges the battery, my seat warmers, my visor light, and my trunk light. My 6 cd changer also broke at the same time. The dealership said the cd player had nothing to do with the module, and that it was just coincidence because the stereo still works. That cost me $800 just to stop my car from frying its electronice parts, not even to fix what was already fried. Now I just had to pay $500 for new brakes and the control arm ball joint. In my machanics words, "This car has not been kind."

Well I loved how loaded my car was...however now since the terminator computer module, those features don't work! It is nice to drive and all the features were great, while they lasted.

I have read about others having trouble with the computer module. I wish they would make it a recall.

Bought a Lemon
By Lynn27

2004 Chevrolet Malibu LS 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

We've had this car for 3 years and 3 months (37,000 miles) and have had it in for service 18 times. Though all were under warranty, it meant time off work to take the car in, sitting for a couple of hours in dealership, or finding someone willing to drive us back and forth. This is the most unreliable car we've ever had. Service included: steering column replaced, (lost power on highway and I couldn't steer), fluid leaks from axles, new routers, stablizer bar, front end problems (Chevy is working on this they said), trunk release broke, strut mounts replaced, seat broke, new muffler, hazard button fell into dashboard, gas cap recall and more.

Plenty of cup holders and amenities.

Fix the problems we had, and the driver's head rest makes it hard to see out back.

In love with Malibu
By tiger

2004 Chevrolet Malibu LS 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

I've read many a review on the Malibu and keep seeing that people think it's "blah". I love my Malibu, I think the exterior is sleek although not outstanding, the interior is nice although not extraordinary, and so far it's been a good car although I've only had it about a year out of the 3 years this car has been around. This car is not the best I'll admit, but I didn't buy the best, and I wasn't expecting to. If I wanted the best I would have bought a Cadillac or something equally as good or better. I'm definitely happy with my purchase and would buy another one in a heartbeat.

V6 engine, XM Satellite radio, easily accesible controls, convenient storage, adjustable pedals, 6 way adjustable driver seat, decent sound system, passenger leg room seems plentiful, good sized trunk

There are a lot of things I would improve about my car...most of which are just options that are available, but weren't on this car when I bought it. I would however suggest that the outside noise be blocked out more as the inside can get a bit noisy at times.