2004 Chevrolet Malibu - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Malibu model:
I love my 2nd Malibu
By Cheryl Vasquez on 07/17/05 23:37 PM (PDT)

2004 Chevrolet Malibu 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 4A)

I first owned a 2003 Malibu, which I liked as well, although, my 2004 held out better in frontal impact collision. My 2003 was totalled and my 2004 was salvageable. I like the Malibu and I enjoy driving this car immensely. I would recommend this car to anyone with 1-2 children. Any more in the family could be a little uncomfortable.

Very Impressive
By Ladym on 07/17/05 12:04 PM (PDT)

2004 Chevrolet Malibu LT 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

I recently needed to upgrade vehicles and when test drving decided on the Malibu LT. The exterior design is a great improvment from the previous bodystyle. Having put it on the Saab chasis is the best part. The ride is incredible, very comfortable and it has excellent leg room. The 3.0 Liter V6 has as much if not more pep than my previous Mazda 626 with the 2.5 liter V6. The electronic power steering is great. Also fuel mileage averages 32+ miles per gallon in all types of driving conditions. Interior design is great, including the heated leather seats. It has a powerful stereo and I also like the side airbag safety feature that has been added. Chevrolet has won back a customer.

Magnificant Chevy
By Frank Bates on 06/29/05 15:38 PM (PDT)

2004 Chevrolet Malibu LT 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

By far, my 2004 malibu is the best car I have ever owned. This is after several GM, Ford, and Honda products. At 13,000 miles, nothing is wrong, and it gets more than 30 miles per gallon on the highway.

Great Car
By Malibu Guy on 06/26/05 05:21 AM (PDT)

2004 Chevrolet Malibu LT 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

This is my third Malibu. This new version is by far the best one yet. In over a year, I only had it back to the dealer for the required state inspection. I paid 70% of the sticker price - quite a deal and car. Are there better cars? Sure, but you'll pay a lot more for them. This is an excellent value for my money. I like the idea of the SS and will buy one if the price is reasonable.

Almost a lemon
By Jurate on 04/21/05 14:09 PM (PDT)

2004 Chevrolet Malibu LS 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

From the first month of ownership, the car had various troubles. Visor fell off, CD changer did not function, keyless remote needed to be replaced, steering malfunctioned, tire blew at high speed on interstate, and finally a MAF sensor went out. I had decided to trade it after making my 16th car payment, but the decision was made for me when a driver rear-ended me and totalled the car. The Malibu, on its Saab chassis, protected us very well in a pretty high speed collision. I was stopped and the other driver ran into me at 35 miles an hour, knocking me across the intersection with 3 distinct hits. I am now shopping for an import.

Sorry I bought this
By spikey on 04/11/05 23:20 PM (PDT)

2004 Chevrolet Malibu LS 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

Transmission jerks when it downshifts into first, and if I press on accelerator as it's doing this, there is a bang; something loose on driver side drive train. Every bump makes terrible reverberating bangs/thuds. Cruise control kicks off because rpm is too erratic. Rough cold idle, and will stall after 10 minutes. CD player won't play CD-Rs without swooshing sounds. Interior rattles are driving me crazy, especially from passenger door pillar.

Great Car
By VicR on 03/23/05 23:47 PM (PST)

2004 Chevrolet Malibu LT 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

I have owned my Malibu LT for over a year. The engine is not as peppy as my former car (1999 Mustang), but the fuel mileage more than makes up for that. Like some other reviewers, I had a steering column issue when the car was 6 months old. The dealer fixed it and I have had no other problems. I'm short and this is most comfortable car I have ever driven due the adjusting steering wheel and pedals. My husband is over 6 feet tall and he has plenty of headroom. Great car!

Plesantly Suprised
By JPWhite on 02/12/05 23:40 PM (PST)

2004 Chevrolet Malibu LS 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

I traded a 5 speed Escort for a used 4 cylinder Mailubu LS. Used to a sluggish car, I was expecting more of the same, but need good mileage given the number of miles I drive and the increasing price of gas. I was also unsure if I'd like the extra noise at cruise from a 4 speed auto compared to a 5-speed manual. I must say I have been impressed all round, this is NOT just another hum drum commuter car. I have rejected Malibus in the past because of engine noise. The 2004 is much better. The car handles very well indeed. The biggest suprise? Very, very quiet at 70Mph, only 2600 revs or so with power to spare. Changes gears intelligently and smoothly. I am more than pleased - great car.

LT: Great Value
By ejcamc on 02/02/05 10:34 AM (PST)

2004 Chevrolet Malibu LT 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

Had LT since Oct 04. My main concern in choosing the LT over Camry and Accord was quality. So far, my concerns were unwarranted. You get a lot more for less money than you do with Camry or Accord. Especially like ABS brakes included. Like the ability to fold front and back seats. Gas mileage is 30+ on highway. I like the styling of the car and the brushed leather seats add a nice touch of elegance.

2nd time Malibu
By Paul on 12/30/04 16:40 PM (PST)

2004 Chevrolet Malibu LS 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

This Malibu is surprisingly comfortable. It is very spirited on the road and a great value in comparison to similar cars. The standard features are amazing and include full power,traction control,ABS,an excellent stereo, adjustable pedals and a 200 hp six.