Used 2004 Chevrolet Malibu Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2004 Chevrolet Malibu - Consumer Reviews

2004 Chevrolet Malibu

View reviews for a specific Malibu model:

Incredible
By heckandarn

2004 Chevrolet Malibu LS 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

I have the 3.5L V-6. I have to tell everyone something. I have never owned a car that would get 39.9 mpg on the highway at 65 mph before. I do now! As incredible as it may seem, that's what I get on a long trip with the cruise control on. With the 200hp v-6 it's very fun to drive! It's been a long time since I've been in a car of this quality, at this price! It's exciting!

Favorite Features

Power, MPG. Fun to drive!

What Happend
By Jason

2004 Chevrolet Malibu 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 4A)

I like the new body style. I think its a vary nice car. And the only complaint I really have is the dic driver info center. The car has some pep not much would've liked to see a 2.4l and OnStar on the base, but all in all it's a car to point a to point b, nothing unique about it.

Favorite Features

Although the DIC is junk, it still gives you vital info.

Suggested Improvements

Move the DIC by the guages not in the radio thats just dumb. If you have an error message you can't see the clock or temp. Oh and please standard ABS and traction control! I don't know whose idea it was to merge the dic and radio but it was poorly designed.

We love our Malibu
By Spencer

2004 Chevrolet Malibu LS 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

Buying the Malibu was a complete accident. It was dark on the car lot and we weren't looking for a Chevrolet. The interior and exterior styling and the roomy interior blew us away. We have put 30,000 miles on the car in two years, long distance and local miles. It has a peppy 6 cyl. engine. Visibility for highway driving is wonderful. We get 38 mpg on highway driving - almost 500 miles to a tank. (no lie) I can drive it from southern Ohio to Buffalo before filling up. It camps: Rear seat folds down and makes enough room to take 2 people, the dog and all the camping gear for several days comfortably. There was a steering column issue- replaced free; no more troubles.

Favorite Features

The information center tells you quickly and easily every single thing you want to know; mpg, trip mileage; fuel range, alerts, etc. Sunroof, remote start, fold down rear seat, adjustable pedals, and steering wheel. Roomy, roomy trunk. Lots of air bags. CD player and radio - pretty decent sound.

Suggested Improvements

Clone it. If we could buy a brand new car today that was exactly the same vehicle, we'd be out there doing it right now. We will probably drive this car until it (or we) dies of old age. Not smart perhaps but when you have something that works this well, why mess with it?

Sometimes, surprises are good things.
By VB

2004 Chevrolet Malibu LS 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

I was in the market for a mid-size sedan last summer, as my previous car had become unbearable uncomfortable - I'm 6'1, and I used to drive a Corolla. Now, my Malibu is nowhere near as good on city MPG (19 as opposed to 26), but it also has an engine twice the size and weighs 600lbs more. The highway is a different matter, though; I average 31MPG when I cruise at 70-75MPH in my Malibu. That is phenomenal for a big V6...my old Corolla got 37, but was pushed around by the wind. The power around town is good, though. I'd recommend it in a heartbeat for a student's first car, or anyone who wants some comfort.

Favorite Features

Sharp enough to pass for a Euro, highway MPG, power steering.

Suggested Improvements

Relocate the trunk release, tint the window more, a standard 16/60R wheel setup would look sharper.

Cheap!
By Gbarclay

2004 Chevrolet Malibu LS 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

We bought car brand new and within a few months, the check engine light came on. It has been going on and off for the past 3 1/2 years. Car has been to dealer 6 times for problems with gas cap, problems with fuel sensors, and various other fuel- related issues. ABS light came on and went off for no apparent reason. Used to get 34 MPG, but since dealer has "fixed" my car 6 times, it now only gets 24 MPG. Interior fabric is cheap and stains extremely easily. CDs get stuck in the CD player. My last new car was a Lumina in 1994 and I loved it. Hate this Malibu. Trading it in.

Favorite Features

Steering is good and gas mileage decent. I do like the color and exterior styling. Trunk is roomy- plenty of room for groceries.

Suggested Improvements

GM needs to take note of repeated requests for improved interior finishing quality.