Used 2004 Chevrolet Malibu Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2004 Chevrolet Malibu Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Malibu model:

Great when it's working
By Malibu is not bad

2004 Chevrolet Malibu Sedan LS 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

We bought a Malibu LS in 2004 and when it works it is great. We have gotten highway mileage anywhere from 35-38 mpg on several cross country trips, and it has nice acceleration when needed. We had to have the steering column replaced (under warranty) and the mechanic explained that this was a common design flaw in the '04 Malibu and that we were just fortunate that we weren't doing anything dangerous when the power steering went out. Other than that and a few other maintenance (under warranty) issues, we like our Malibu and if we were in the market for another sedan we would get another Malibu (but our family is outgrowing sedans).

Highway fuel economy, power, comfort

The steering column was massively flawed and had to be replaced on many Malibus.

I love this car!
By I love this car!

2004 Chevrolet Malibu Sedan LS 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

I bought this car in December 2007 and have had no problems at all. It's great on gas mileage, very roomy and comfortable, and it looks great! My Malibu is loaded, heated seats, 6 disc CD changer, sunroof, spoiler, remote start..you name it, it has it! This is truly my dream car and I wouldn't trade it for anything! I plan to own this car for a very long time. I know others have complained about different things but I don't think it's because it's a Malibu, I think it just depends on the car. Mine is awesome!

Heated seats and remote start! Even if my car isn't warm yet my seat automatically is!

The heated seats are difficult to clean but thats it.

Disappointed in PA
By Hope

2004 Chevrolet Malibu Sedan LT 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

Purchased what I thought was going to be my dream car. Loved the interior and it handled wonderfully. 5 days after purchased the car started with a fuel issue. Once I fill it with gas it stalls, chokes, and will not restart for numerous minutes. Once it lunged forward and then stalled out in rush hour traffic. Had the fuel sensor replaced, luckily by the dealership, however 3 months later I am still having this ongoing problem and the dealership says it's my problem. Another issue is the car does not start on the first turn. This has been occurring more and more. Just waiting for the Malibu to leave me sitting. Chevy aware however not standing behind their good name.

Great ride, looks good, love all the extras-sunroof, remote start, radio readout, leather, keyless, very comfortable for 4

Big fuel problem, issue with it starting each and every time. The trunk release will not latch every time. Just wanted a reliable, good looking, affordable car.

Buyer Beware
By Buer beware

2004 Chevrolet Malibu Sedan LT 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

This is one of the most fun, comfortable cars that I have ever purchased from GM. It is unfortunate that the quality is horrible. I have had the steering replaced 3 times, the radio doesn't work properly, the ignition has been replaced, the transmission gaskets have been replaced. The sun visor has been replaced because the glue that holds it together melts in the sun. GM does not stand behind its products. After 22 years of owning nothing but GM products, I wouldn't purchase another one. Nice ride, but horrible workmanship.

Roomy interior, rides well, handles well in mountains, snowy roads, gravel etc. Good fuel econonmy (when it is not being repaired)

The DIC should show time, temp when muted or if another message, such as no power steering.

Good car but cheap parts
By rita, orland park, i

2004 Chevrolet Malibu Sedan LS 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

I have had my Chevy less than 4 years and I am unable to get my hatchback trunk open. It is very frustrating. My mechanic states that it is the motor in lock to open the hatchback. I am sure if I take it to the dealer, it will be about $300 to fix it. Luckily I have a nice reasonable mechanic, although he lives far so it is a bit of a hassle to get my car worked on. I was very pleased with my car until this point but now I am convinced that Chevy uses cheap parts and I will not buy a Chevy again. I bought a new Astro van before this car and all I did was put money into it. It cost me a small fortunate in repairs. Never again will I buy a GM car.

Good pickup, nice ride.