2004 Chevrolet Malibu - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Malibu model:
What Happend
By Jason on 06/09/08 16:42 PM (PDT)

2004 Chevrolet Malibu 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 4A)

I like the new body style. I think its a vary nice car. And the only complaint I really have is the dic driver info center. The car has some pep not much would've liked to see a 2.4l and OnStar on the base, but all in all it's a car to point a to point b, nothing unique about it.

We love our Malibu
By Spencer on 05/17/08 07:48 AM (PDT)

2004 Chevrolet Malibu LS 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

Buying the Malibu was a complete accident. It was dark on the car lot and we weren't looking for a Chevrolet. The interior and exterior styling and the roomy interior blew us away. We have put 30,000 miles on the car in two years, long distance and local miles. It has a peppy 6 cyl. engine. Visibility for highway driving is wonderful. We get 38 mpg on highway driving - almost 500 miles to a tank. (no lie) I can drive it from southern Ohio to Buffalo before filling up. It camps: Rear seat folds down and makes enough room to take 2 people, the dog and all the camping gear for several days comfortably. There was a steering column issue- replaced free; no more troubles.

Sometimes, surprises are good things.
By VB on 05/08/08 09:56 AM (PDT)

2004 Chevrolet Malibu LS 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

I was in the market for a mid-size sedan last summer, as my previous car had become unbearable uncomfortable - I'm 6'1, and I used to drive a Corolla. Now, my Malibu is nowhere near as good on city MPG (19 as opposed to 26), but it also has an engine twice the size and weighs 600lbs more. The highway is a different matter, though; I average 31MPG when I cruise at 70-75MPH in my Malibu. That is phenomenal for a big V6...my old Corolla got 37, but was pushed around by the wind. The power around town is good, though. I'd recommend it in a heartbeat for a student's first car, or anyone who wants some comfort.

Cheap!
By Gbarclay on 04/26/08 17:14 PM (PDT)

2004 Chevrolet Malibu LS 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

We bought car brand new and within a few months, the check engine light came on. It has been going on and off for the past 3 1/2 years. Car has been to dealer 6 times for problems with gas cap, problems with fuel sensors, and various other fuel- related issues. ABS light came on and went off for no apparent reason. Used to get 34 MPG, but since dealer has "fixed" my car 6 times, it now only gets 24 MPG. Interior fabric is cheap and stains extremely easily. CDs get stuck in the CD player. My last new car was a Lumina in 1994 and I loved it. Hate this Malibu. Trading it in.

Still is Smooth
By Shortyflow on 11/01/07 20:24 PM (PDT)

2004 Chevrolet Malibu 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 4A)

I had bought this vehicle to become a pizza delivery driver. It was my first vehicle with 45,000 miles on it, it now has 76,000 . it runs good and it drives great. Brakes are all that I have had to do.

Love It, But Has Not Been Kind
By Krista on 10/25/07 17:00 PM (PDT)

2004 Chevrolet Malibu LT 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

I love the power of the car and how comfortable it is to drive, but it has not been kind. The computer module went on the car just after the warranty expired. It fried the part of the car that charges the battery, my seat warmers, my visor light, and my trunk light. My 6 cd changer also broke at the same time. The dealership said the cd player had nothing to do with the module, and that it was just coincidence because the stereo still works. That cost me $800 just to stop my car from frying its electronice parts, not even to fix what was already fried. Now I just had to pay $500 for new brakes and the control arm ball joint. In my machanics words, "This car has not been kind."

Bought a Lemon
By Lynn27 on 07/21/07 07:04 AM (PDT)

2004 Chevrolet Malibu LS 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

We've had this car for 3 years and 3 months (37,000 miles) and have had it in for service 18 times. Though all were under warranty, it meant time off work to take the car in, sitting for a couple of hours in dealership, or finding someone willing to drive us back and forth. This is the most unreliable car we've ever had. Service included: steering column replaced, (lost power on highway and I couldn't steer), fluid leaks from axles, new routers, stablizer bar, front end problems (Chevy is working on this they said), trunk release broke, strut mounts replaced, seat broke, new muffler, hazard button fell into dashboard, gas cap recall and more.

In love with Malibu
By tiger on 06/27/07 13:35 PM (PDT)

2004 Chevrolet Malibu LS 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

I've read many a review on the Malibu and keep seeing that people think it's "blah". I love my Malibu, I think the exterior is sleek although not outstanding, the interior is nice although not extraordinary, and so far it's been a good car although I've only had it about a year out of the 3 years this car has been around. This car is not the best I'll admit, but I didn't buy the best, and I wasn't expecting to. If I wanted the best I would have bought a Cadillac or something equally as good or better. I'm definitely happy with my purchase and would buy another one in a heartbeat.

Great Car
By kat trahan on 04/02/07 07:07 AM (PDT)

2004 Chevrolet Malibu LT 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

Purchased this car for my wife in 2003. She drives it as a daily commuter to work. Also, we use it for short family trips. Able to fit two large car seat in the back with plenty of leg room for the kids. Large trunk provides plenty of room for almost anything. Just a great all around car.

No complaints at all!
By precious81098 on 03/27/07 06:25 AM (PDT)

2004 Chevrolet Malibu LT 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

This car feels as though it were built exclusively for me. The seats are comfortable, all controls are in easy reach and it has all the amenities - heated front seats, power everything, fold-down rear seats for stowing larger items, great sound system, it's roomy, comfortable, quiet, runs like a dream, fun to drive and looks great. I average between 28 and 31, yes I said 31 miles per gallon of gasoline. That gives me a cruising range of over 400 miles. Oh, and the dashboard computer that keeps all that information for me at my fingertips is wonderful. This is my most favorite car I've ever owned. It has great get-up-and-go, feels powerful but smooth. I think it's the perfect car.