2004 Chevrolet Malibu Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Malibu model:
Solid Car
By Tom on 04/11/09 21:52 PM (PDT)

2004 Chevrolet Malibu Sedan LS 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

I purchased my 2004 Malibu after going for three months without any car following an accident which totaled by 2004 Cavalier. As luck would have it it put me in a great position to wind up with this Malibu. I had never really heard much about them until I found this one at a local dealer. After reading up on it I found that it sounded like it would be worth a look. I took it for a test drive and looked it over and found it was great. I have owned it for three weeks now and the car has been more than what I imagined it would be. Roomy, comfortable, with loads of features that I could only have dreamed about in my Cavalier (remote start, automatic lights, electric pedals and seats etc).

Going on my 5th year of ownnership
By proudboomerlady on 01/07/09 10:39 AM (PST)

2004 Chevrolet Malibu Sedan LT 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

Overall I have been happy with my purchase, the car is fun to drive and handles well. Not crazy about the dashboard, and the Onstar is worthless to me. I cancelled them after a 2 hour wait for a battery that died in 102* temps...Ride is pleasant but somewhat noisy on highways. Front and Rear seats are comfortable. Gas mileage is is great on interstates. I feel this car is excellent competition to the foreign manufactures. I now have a little over 50K miles and have not really had to use the extended warranty I paid for for the amount it cost me. Don't recommend buying it.

Great when it's working
By Malibu is not bad on 12/30/08 11:36 AM (PST)

2004 Chevrolet Malibu Sedan LS 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

We bought a Malibu LS in 2004 and when it works it is great. We have gotten highway mileage anywhere from 35-38 mpg on several cross country trips, and it has nice acceleration when needed. We had to have the steering column replaced (under warranty) and the mechanic explained that this was a common design flaw in the '04 Malibu and that we were just fortunate that we weren't doing anything dangerous when the power steering went out. Other than that and a few other maintenance (under warranty) issues, we like our Malibu and if we were in the market for another sedan we would get another Malibu (but our family is outgrowing sedans).

I love this car!
By I love this car! on 12/09/08 13:57 PM (PST)

2004 Chevrolet Malibu Sedan LS 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

I bought this car in December 2007 and have had no problems at all. It's great on gas mileage, very roomy and comfortable, and it looks great! My Malibu is loaded, heated seats, 6 disc CD changer, sunroof, spoiler, remote start..you name it, it has it! This is truly my dream car and I wouldn't trade it for anything! I plan to own this car for a very long time. I know others have complained about different things but I don't think it's because it's a Malibu, I think it just depends on the car. Mine is awesome!

Disappointed in PA
By Hope on 09/17/08 16:37 PM (PDT)

2004 Chevrolet Malibu Sedan LT 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

Purchased what I thought was going to be my dream car. Loved the interior and it handled wonderfully. 5 days after purchased the car started with a fuel issue. Once I fill it with gas it stalls, chokes, and will not restart for numerous minutes. Once it lunged forward and then stalled out in rush hour traffic. Had the fuel sensor replaced, luckily by the dealership, however 3 months later I am still having this ongoing problem and the dealership says it's my problem. Another issue is the car does not start on the first turn. This has been occurring more and more. Just waiting for the Malibu to leave me sitting. Chevy aware however not standing behind their good name.

Buyer Beware
By Buer beware on 08/10/08 07:43 AM (PDT)

2004 Chevrolet Malibu Sedan LT 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

This is one of the most fun, comfortable cars that I have ever purchased from GM. It is unfortunate that the quality is horrible. I have had the steering replaced 3 times, the radio doesn't work properly, the ignition has been replaced, the transmission gaskets have been replaced. The sun visor has been replaced because the glue that holds it together melts in the sun. GM does not stand behind its products. After 22 years of owning nothing but GM products, I wouldn't purchase another one. Nice ride, but horrible workmanship.

Good car but cheap parts
By rita, orland park, i on 08/10/08 05:42 AM (PDT)

2004 Chevrolet Malibu Sedan LS 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

I have had my Chevy less than 4 years and I am unable to get my hatchback trunk open. It is very frustrating. My mechanic states that it is the motor in lock to open the hatchback. I am sure if I take it to the dealer, it will be about $300 to fix it. Luckily I have a nice reasonable mechanic, although he lives far so it is a bit of a hassle to get my car worked on. I was very pleased with my car until this point but now I am convinced that Chevy uses cheap parts and I will not buy a Chevy again. I bought a new Astro van before this car and all I did was put money into it. It cost me a small fortunate in repairs. Never again will I buy a GM car.

Malibu Falling Apart Slowly
By Malibu not so much on 07/05/08 06:56 AM (PDT)

2004 Chevrolet Malibu Sedan LT 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

So when I purchased my car it was in top shape. Now I take care of my car. Never a mile over 3000 without an oil change, I pay to have it cleaned. Now the problem with my Malibu is that the parts to the interior are inferior. The less expensive plastic breaks on dash with the tap of passenger knees. The gas cap sensor has gone out at 55000 miles. I have replaced blinker bulbs on 4 occassions and have only had the car to a little over 1 year. Power and comfort a plus, If only Barbie could see her Malibu now.

I love my BOO
By smbmp on 07/01/08 00:29 AM (PDT)

2004 Chevrolet Malibu Sedan LS 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

I purchased a 2004 Malibu in March of 08. It had 3400 miles on it at the time. I love my car it havent given me any trouble yet. Hopefuly it won't any time soon. Since I got it I have only had to do the normal things like oil and brakes. Oh I can't get my gas cap to stay on. The only thing I dont like about these cars is there front end is ugly. They look like bugs. The car has plenty of power and great handeling once you get use to the torque steering. I think it was wort every penny I paid for it

Incredible
By heckandarn on 06/24/08 10:27 AM (PDT)

2004 Chevrolet Malibu Sedan LS 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

I have the 3.5L V-6. I have to tell everyone something. I have never owned a car that would get 39.9 mpg on the highway at 65 mph before. I do now! As incredible as it may seem, that's what I get on a long trip with the cruise control on. With the 200hp v-6 it's very fun to drive! It's been a long time since I've been in a car of this quality, at this price! It's exciting!