2004 Chevrolet Malibu Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Malibu model:
Fabric on Doors Peeling/ seat is malfunctioning
By kgwcoffee on 09/11/12 14:37 PM (PDT)

2004 Chevrolet Malibu Sedan LT 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

I've had my chevy for almost 6 years. The Drivers seat has broken won't sit straight and moves around. This which I feel is dangerous, will cost 1000.00 to fix. CHEVY DOES NOT COVER THIS DEFECT. The panel door trim fabric is peeling off because the glue and fabric has broke down and fabric was cut to small and has shrunk. This will cost 700 for the 2 front and 150 to patch-450 to replace the rear/ chevy does not make anymore by the way. This is a popular model of car. Why do they not make them anymore? Could the glue be defective? CHEVY DOES NOT COVER THIS DEFECT and colision places wont patch they will only replace because the doors are PAPER so odds are any new glue will not stick

6 Year Review
By Spud90 on 05/03/10 13:45 PM (PDT)

2004 Chevrolet Malibu Sedan LT 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

I recorded my review in 11/24/2003 when I owned the car for 1 month. In the last 6 years I have put only 32,000 miles on. I have read the other reviews and am drawn to the poor ratings. With the exception of the steering column (first year of electric power), I have had no major problems with the car. I just replaced the original tires at 30,000 miles, had an alignment done, and it runs like it is new again. I agree with other posts that it tends to eat an unusual amount of turn signal lights, which is a minor annoyance because it takes time to replace them. Otherwise, I am still impressed with the quiet ride, the power, and the highway gas mileage (34-35 mpg with the cruise set at 75+).

Last American Car
By Neveragain on 03/23/10 09:28 AM (PDT)

2004 Chevrolet Malibu Sedan LT 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

Bought this car new. Gas cap pressure seal has broke twice. At 300 miles and at 36001 miles (dealer wouldn’t cover second….1 mile over ) Stock tires went off at only 15000 miles Blows turn signal bulbs a lot (24 in 7 years) Rear caliper broke (left hand side) 20, 000 miles Left hand ball joint (can’t replace just ball joint have to replace lower control arm) 40,000 miles Lots of bugs, turned on car with remote start……radio came on, has never done it again. Remote start used to start at 100 yards, today it won’t at 10 feet…..battery changed in remote….still 10 feet Remote broke three times (poorly made) Passenger seat heater…..comes on by it’s self Gas mileage used to be 32 highway,

Going on my 5th year of ownnership
By proudboomerlady on 01/07/09 10:39 AM (PST)

2004 Chevrolet Malibu Sedan LT 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

Overall I have been happy with my purchase, the car is fun to drive and handles well. Not crazy about the dashboard, and the Onstar is worthless to me. I cancelled them after a 2 hour wait for a battery that died in 102* temps...Ride is pleasant but somewhat noisy on highways. Front and Rear seats are comfortable. Gas mileage is is great on interstates. I feel this car is excellent competition to the foreign manufactures. I now have a little over 50K miles and have not really had to use the extended warranty I paid for for the amount it cost me. Don't recommend buying it.

Disappointed in PA
By Hope on 09/17/08 16:37 PM (PDT)

2004 Chevrolet Malibu Sedan LT 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

Purchased what I thought was going to be my dream car. Loved the interior and it handled wonderfully. 5 days after purchased the car started with a fuel issue. Once I fill it with gas it stalls, chokes, and will not restart for numerous minutes. Once it lunged forward and then stalled out in rush hour traffic. Had the fuel sensor replaced, luckily by the dealership, however 3 months later I am still having this ongoing problem and the dealership says it's my problem. Another issue is the car does not start on the first turn. This has been occurring more and more. Just waiting for the Malibu to leave me sitting. Chevy aware however not standing behind their good name.

Buyer Beware
By Buer beware on 08/10/08 07:43 AM (PDT)

2004 Chevrolet Malibu Sedan LT 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

This is one of the most fun, comfortable cars that I have ever purchased from GM. It is unfortunate that the quality is horrible. I have had the steering replaced 3 times, the radio doesn't work properly, the ignition has been replaced, the transmission gaskets have been replaced. The sun visor has been replaced because the glue that holds it together melts in the sun. GM does not stand behind its products. After 22 years of owning nothing but GM products, I wouldn't purchase another one. Nice ride, but horrible workmanship.

Malibu Falling Apart Slowly
By Malibu not so much on 07/05/08 06:56 AM (PDT)

2004 Chevrolet Malibu Sedan LT 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

So when I purchased my car it was in top shape. Now I take care of my car. Never a mile over 3000 without an oil change, I pay to have it cleaned. Now the problem with my Malibu is that the parts to the interior are inferior. The less expensive plastic breaks on dash with the tap of passenger knees. The gas cap sensor has gone out at 55000 miles. I have replaced blinker bulbs on 4 occassions and have only had the car to a little over 1 year. Power and comfort a plus, If only Barbie could see her Malibu now.

Love It, But Has Not Been Kind
By Krista on 10/25/07 17:00 PM (PDT)

2004 Chevrolet Malibu Sedan LT 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

I love the power of the car and how comfortable it is to drive, but it has not been kind. The computer module went on the car just after the warranty expired. It fried the part of the car that charges the battery, my seat warmers, my visor light, and my trunk light. My 6 cd changer also broke at the same time. The dealership said the cd player had nothing to do with the module, and that it was just coincidence because the stereo still works. That cost me $800 just to stop my car from frying its electronice parts, not even to fix what was already fried. Now I just had to pay $500 for new brakes and the control arm ball joint. In my machanics words, "This car has not been kind."

Great Car
By kat trahan on 04/02/07 07:07 AM (PDT)

2004 Chevrolet Malibu Sedan LT 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

Purchased this car for my wife in 2003. She drives it as a daily commuter to work. Also, we use it for short family trips. Able to fit two large car seat in the back with plenty of leg room for the kids. Large trunk provides plenty of room for almost anything. Just a great all around car.

No complaints at all!
By precious81098 on 03/27/07 06:25 AM (PDT)

2004 Chevrolet Malibu Sedan LT 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

This car feels as though it were built exclusively for me. The seats are comfortable, all controls are in easy reach and it has all the amenities - heated front seats, power everything, fold-down rear seats for stowing larger items, great sound system, it's roomy, comfortable, quiet, runs like a dream, fun to drive and looks great. I average between 28 and 31, yes I said 31 miles per gallon of gasoline. That gives me a cruising range of over 400 miles. Oh, and the dashboard computer that keeps all that information for me at my fingertips is wonderful. This is my most favorite car I've ever owned. It has great get-up-and-go, feels powerful but smooth. I think it's the perfect car.