Used 2004 Chevrolet Malibu LS Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2004 Chevrolet Malibu - Consumer Reviews

2004 Chevrolet Malibu Sedan

View reviews for a specific Malibu model:

276,000 miles and still runs like a top!
By dansker1

2004 Chevrolet Malibu Sedan LS 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

We purchased our Malibu in 2006 from a leasing agency............to say the way this car has lasted is amazing...........just took it in for one of three recalls, and the mechanics were amazed at the milage (276,016) and runs smooth. I burn about a cup of oil every two thousand miles, and just put it on high mileage oil for the first time. Just a couple of items of note, gas gauge no longer works, but use the mileage ap to figure fill up to fill up. Averages 36 on the highway, and 32 in city, and the automatic locking system is finished, but can be opened manually. Everything else works fine............I give it five stars out of five.:+)}}} and I would purchase another one in a heart beat.

Favorite Features

Ease of ownership, smooth ride, and aside from a few quirks (but it is ten years old), very satisfied.............interior has a tendency to stain easily, but for some reason, any carpet cleaner will erase any stains...........Handles well, best chevy I have had, and I have had a lot over the years.............1949,'53'57'58'63'72'76'79'88'96'01, and finally '04........happy guy here:+)}}}

Suggested Improvements

The electrical system has had some bugs, but nothing serious, and you learn to work around them as you get to know your auto.........that's it! Hope I have helped someone out there...........have been told that Malibu for '04'05'06 were some of the best autos ever made my chevy..............

Great car
By sigmachi152

2004 Chevrolet Malibu Sedan LS 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

I bought my malibu new back in 2004 and so i've had it for nearly 9 years and has a little over 98K miles on it. I bought it because it was one of the better cars that had great mpg's at the time. Overall it has been a pretty reliable car. I read that several people had to change the light bulbs on it numerous times. This is the only issue i've had with mine as well. I think I have had to replace the same bulb about 6 times in 9 years. Its a random annoyance but beats most other issues you can have with a car. I just replaced the spark plugs this weekend since it is close to 100K....6 iridium plugs and cables cost just under $80.

Favorite Features

23 city and 33-35 on the highway. At nearly 100K routine maintenance is fairly inexpensive.

Suggested Improvements

The first month i had the car both plastic vanity mirror covers broke off in my hand. Not covered under warranty and dealer wanted $75 each to replace them....$75 for a piece of plastic...really?!?!?! Other than that the car has been great. No major issues at all with the car.

i still love my car but..........
By Won't buy another

2004 Chevrolet Malibu Sedan LS 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

Electrical system had a gremlin in it, idiot lights went off for no reason. Occasionally the radio turns on inside the car while you unlock the doors without engine running. Hood latch replaced, auto start wouldn't work, trunk latch replaced, inside trunk button stopped working, trunk lock stuck so you can't open the trunk any of the 3 ways. Service couldn't fix. On my 2nd key fob now and the door unlock doesn't work so thats 2 out of 4 buttons that are useless. Fob is junk drop it a few times and the battery clip inside breaks off. In tank gas gauge is broken. Fill the tank, dash gauge say empty, gas tank low, dash gauge says full. Stirring column replaced. Dealer says it needs it again. Horn shorted

Favorite Features

Driver control display, cruise control, auto start ride

Suggested Improvements

use better parts to build the cars or lower the price.car was a disappointment after 2 yr now I'm stuck with it for now

Cute, but glad I got the warranty
By TheGirlWithTheMalibu

2004 Chevrolet Malibu Sedan LS 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

I researched for about two months before purchasing my 2004 Chevy Malibu. I found the Malibu to be the best fit for me, a traveling college bound student. The car its self handles very well and I always have fun driving it. The fuel economy isn't the greatest, at 23 mpg, but not worth complaining about. Shortly after I bought it, I realized the windshield wiper fluid didn't work when the button was pushed and the seat didn't work. I'm having issues with it starting slowly. Although I'm not sure if this is do to the car, or the Cleveland cold weather. My sister got stuck in the passenger side because the door wouldn't open from the inside. Great car, but I'm glad I got the warranty.

Favorite Features

Handling, it's fun to drive. Look, it's an attractive car. It's pretty fuel efficient. It's quiet on the highway.

Suggested Improvements

Honestly, it not starting up till the forth try is kind of scaring me. It's also got huge blind spots when I'm driving.

Malibu
By chucked

2004 Chevrolet Malibu Sedan LS 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

Bought the car new in 2004, and have had very little trouble with it. Around 22,000 miles, i had to replace the brakes, tires, and Chevy took care of the tie rod ends (good on them, as it was abought 2 months out of warranty). Other than that, no real issues. Sometimes the alternator light comes on when I accelerate hard, but only for a second or two. Gas mileage is great, I put a K&N air filter in it and get regularly 35+ mpg on the highway, better than most 4 cylinders I have driven.

Favorite Features

Good mileage, power, comfortable.

Suggested Improvements

real time fuel mileage, on occasion it takes a couple tries to get started