2004 Chevrolet Malibu Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Malibu model:
276,000 miles and still runs like a top!
By dansker1 on 09/11/14 10:54 AM (PDT)

2004 Chevrolet Malibu Sedan LS 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

We purchased our Malibu in 2006 from a leasing agency............to say the way this car has lasted is amazing...........just took it in for one of three recalls, and the mechanics were amazed at the milage (276,016) and runs smooth. I burn about a cup of oil every two thousand miles, and just put it on high mileage oil for the first time. Just a couple of items of note, gas gauge no longer works, but use the mileage ap to figure fill up to fill up. Averages 36 on the highway, and 32 in city, and the automatic locking system is finished, but can be opened manually. Everything else works fine............I give it five stars out of five.:+)}}} and I would purchase another one in a heart beat.

Great car
By sigmachi152 on 11/25/12 07:22 AM (PST)

2004 Chevrolet Malibu Sedan LS 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

I bought my malibu new back in 2004 and so i've had it for nearly 9 years and has a little over 98K miles on it. I bought it because it was one of the better cars that had great mpg's at the time. Overall it has been a pretty reliable car. I read that several people had to change the light bulbs on it numerous times. This is the only issue i've had with mine as well. I think I have had to replace the same bulb about 6 times in 9 years. Its a random annoyance but beats most other issues you can have with a car. I just replaced the spark plugs this weekend since it is close to 100K....6 iridium plugs and cables cost just under $80.

i still love my car but..........
By Won't buy another on 09/16/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2004 Chevrolet Malibu Sedan LS 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

Electrical system had a gremlin in it, idiot lights went off for no reason. Occasionally the radio turns on inside the car while you unlock the doors without engine running. Hood latch replaced, auto start wouldn't work, trunk latch replaced, inside trunk button stopped working, trunk lock stuck so you can't open the trunk any of the 3 ways. Service couldn't fix. On my 2nd key fob now and the door unlock doesn't work so thats 2 out of 4 buttons that are useless. Fob is junk drop it a few times and the battery clip inside breaks off. In tank gas gauge is broken. Fill the tank, dash gauge say empty, gas tank low, dash gauge says full. Stirring column replaced. Dealer says it needs it again. Horn shorted

Cute, but glad I got the warranty
By TheGirlWithTheMalibu on 01/02/10 18:17 PM (PST)

2004 Chevrolet Malibu Sedan LS 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

I researched for about two months before purchasing my 2004 Chevy Malibu. I found the Malibu to be the best fit for me, a traveling college bound student. The car its self handles very well and I always have fun driving it. The fuel economy isn't the greatest, at 23 mpg, but not worth complaining about. Shortly after I bought it, I realized the windshield wiper fluid didn't work when the button was pushed and the seat didn't work. I'm having issues with it starting slowly. Although I'm not sure if this is do to the car, or the Cleveland cold weather. My sister got stuck in the passenger side because the door wouldn't open from the inside. Great car, but I'm glad I got the warranty.

Malibu
By chucked on 07/10/09 16:09 PM (PDT)

2004 Chevrolet Malibu Sedan LS 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

Bought the car new in 2004, and have had very little trouble with it. Around 22,000 miles, i had to replace the brakes, tires, and Chevy took care of the tie rod ends (good on them, as it was abought 2 months out of warranty). Other than that, no real issues. Sometimes the alternator light comes on when I accelerate hard, but only for a second or two. Gas mileage is great, I put a K&N air filter in it and get regularly 35+ mpg on the highway, better than most 4 cylinders I have driven.

Solid Car
By Tom on 04/11/09 21:52 PM (PDT)

2004 Chevrolet Malibu Sedan LS 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

I purchased my 2004 Malibu after going for three months without any car following an accident which totaled by 2004 Cavalier. As luck would have it it put me in a great position to wind up with this Malibu. I had never really heard much about them until I found this one at a local dealer. After reading up on it I found that it sounded like it would be worth a look. I took it for a test drive and looked it over and found it was great. I have owned it for three weeks now and the car has been more than what I imagined it would be. Roomy, comfortable, with loads of features that I could only have dreamed about in my Cavalier (remote start, automatic lights, electric pedals and seats etc).

Great when it's working
By Malibu is not bad on 12/30/08 11:36 AM (PST)

2004 Chevrolet Malibu Sedan LS 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

We bought a Malibu LS in 2004 and when it works it is great. We have gotten highway mileage anywhere from 35-38 mpg on several cross country trips, and it has nice acceleration when needed. We had to have the steering column replaced (under warranty) and the mechanic explained that this was a common design flaw in the '04 Malibu and that we were just fortunate that we weren't doing anything dangerous when the power steering went out. Other than that and a few other maintenance (under warranty) issues, we like our Malibu and if we were in the market for another sedan we would get another Malibu (but our family is outgrowing sedans).

I love this car!
By I love this car! on 12/09/08 13:57 PM (PST)

2004 Chevrolet Malibu Sedan LS 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

I bought this car in December 2007 and have had no problems at all. It's great on gas mileage, very roomy and comfortable, and it looks great! My Malibu is loaded, heated seats, 6 disc CD changer, sunroof, spoiler, remote start..you name it, it has it! This is truly my dream car and I wouldn't trade it for anything! I plan to own this car for a very long time. I know others have complained about different things but I don't think it's because it's a Malibu, I think it just depends on the car. Mine is awesome!

Good car but cheap parts
By rita, orland park, i on 08/10/08 05:42 AM (PDT)

2004 Chevrolet Malibu Sedan LS 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

I have had my Chevy less than 4 years and I am unable to get my hatchback trunk open. It is very frustrating. My mechanic states that it is the motor in lock to open the hatchback. I am sure if I take it to the dealer, it will be about $300 to fix it. Luckily I have a nice reasonable mechanic, although he lives far so it is a bit of a hassle to get my car worked on. I was very pleased with my car until this point but now I am convinced that Chevy uses cheap parts and I will not buy a Chevy again. I bought a new Astro van before this car and all I did was put money into it. It cost me a small fortunate in repairs. Never again will I buy a GM car.

I love my BOO
By smbmp on 07/01/08 00:29 AM (PDT)

2004 Chevrolet Malibu Sedan LS 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

I purchased a 2004 Malibu in March of 08. It had 3400 miles on it at the time. I love my car it havent given me any trouble yet. Hopefuly it won't any time soon. Since I got it I have only had to do the normal things like oil and brakes. Oh I can't get my gas cap to stay on. The only thing I dont like about these cars is there front end is ugly. They look like bugs. The car has plenty of power and great handeling once you get use to the torque steering. I think it was wort every penny I paid for it