Used 2004 Chevrolet Malibu LT Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2004 Chevrolet Malibu - Consumer Reviews

2004 Chevrolet Malibu

View reviews for a specific Malibu model:

Fabric on Doors Peeling/ seat is malfunctioning
By kgwcoffee

2004 Chevrolet Malibu LT 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

I've had my chevy for almost 6 years. The Drivers seat has broken won't sit straight and moves around. This which I feel is dangerous, will cost 1000.00 to fix. CHEVY DOES NOT COVER THIS DEFECT. The panel door trim fabric is peeling off because the glue and fabric has broke down and fabric was cut to small and has shrunk. This will cost 700 for the 2 front and 150 to patch-450 to replace the rear/ chevy does not make anymore by the way. This is a popular model of car. Why do they not make them anymore? Could the glue be defective? CHEVY DOES NOT COVER THIS DEFECT and colision places wont patch they will only replace because the doors are PAPER so odds are any new glue will not stick

Favorite Features

It has been a great car 8 years old and 74,000 miles on it it has had very little problems other than what I've mentioned that you wouldn't expect on any vehicle.

Suggested Improvements

Had to replace fobs because they break when you try to change the battery- although they are very costly to replace and the dealer has to program for extra expense - I called chevy about the problem with the seat and interior the nice customer service person repeated not their problem the car is 8 years old, I fear this will be my last CHEVY.

6 Year Review
By Spud90

2004 Chevrolet Malibu LT 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

I recorded my review in 11/24/2003 when I owned the car for 1 month. In the last 6 years I have put only 32,000 miles on. I have read the other reviews and am drawn to the poor ratings. With the exception of the steering column (first year of electric power), I have had no major problems with the car. I just replaced the original tires at 30,000 miles, had an alignment done, and it runs like it is new again. I agree with other posts that it tends to eat an unusual amount of turn signal lights, which is a minor annoyance because it takes time to replace them. Otherwise, I am still impressed with the quiet ride, the power, and the highway gas mileage (34-35 mpg with the cruise set at 75+).

Favorite Features

The quiet, the power, and the highway fuel economy. I also like the remote start and automatic climate control. Winter or summer, start it from the house and by the time you get in it is comfortable. It even has the brains to start defrosting the windshield, rear window, and the mirrors.

Suggested Improvements

I think the newest generation Malibu improves what is already a good car. The dash in my 04 Malibu looks like it came out of a mid 70's Detroit car. That is my biggest complaint. Wish it had a 6-speed automatic, but GM didn't think of them back then.

Last American Car
By Neveragain

2004 Chevrolet Malibu LT 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

Bought this car new. Gas cap pressure seal has broke twice. At 300 miles and at 36001 miles (dealer wouldn’t cover second….1 mile over ) Stock tires went off at only 15000 miles Blows turn signal bulbs a lot (24 in 7 years) Rear caliper broke (left hand side) 20, 000 miles Left hand ball joint (can’t replace just ball joint have to replace lower control arm) 40,000 miles Lots of bugs, turned on car with remote start……radio came on, has never done it again. Remote start used to start at 100 yards, today it won’t at 10 feet…..battery changed in remote….still 10 feet Remote broke three times (poorly made) Passenger seat heater…..comes on by it’s self Gas mileage used to be 32 highway,

Going on my 5th year of ownnership
By proudboomerlady

2004 Chevrolet Malibu LT 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

Overall I have been happy with my purchase, the car is fun to drive and handles well. Not crazy about the dashboard, and the Onstar is worthless to me. I cancelled them after a 2 hour wait for a battery that died in 102* temps...Ride is pleasant but somewhat noisy on highways. Front and Rear seats are comfortable. Gas mileage is is great on interstates. I feel this car is excellent competition to the foreign manufactures. I now have a little over 50K miles and have not really had to use the extended warranty I paid for for the amount it cost me. Don't recommend buying it.

Favorite Features

Ride, gas mileage, comfort, all the bells and whistles it has. I use them all.

Suggested Improvements

Better looking dashboard, radio display, CD player gets stuck sometimes.

Disappointed in PA
By Hope

2004 Chevrolet Malibu LT 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

Purchased what I thought was going to be my dream car. Loved the interior and it handled wonderfully. 5 days after purchased the car started with a fuel issue. Once I fill it with gas it stalls, chokes, and will not restart for numerous minutes. Once it lunged forward and then stalled out in rush hour traffic. Had the fuel sensor replaced, luckily by the dealership, however 3 months later I am still having this ongoing problem and the dealership says it's my problem. Another issue is the car does not start on the first turn. This has been occurring more and more. Just waiting for the Malibu to leave me sitting. Chevy aware however not standing behind their good name.

Favorite Features

Great ride, looks good, love all the extras-sunroof, remote start, radio readout, leather, keyless, very comfortable for 4

Suggested Improvements

Big fuel problem, issue with it starting each and every time. The trunk release will not latch every time. Just wanted a reliable, good looking, affordable car.