Used 2004 Chevrolet Malibu Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2004 Chevrolet Malibu - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Malibu model:

What a LEMON!
By Suggabuzz

2004 Chevrolet Malibu 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 4A)

This car has so many problems that I couldn't list them all if I tried. The dash is lit up like a Christmas tree! There are problems with the traction control/ ABS and Power steering. The headlights, trunk pop button, and gas gauge all do not work. Things just fall off and brake constantly. It leaks coolant, as well as transmission fluid. I bought this car with 'no problems' about 4 years ago, and it has been a constant battle to keep it out of the shop. There are so many re-calls i think even Chevy wants me to throw it off a cliff.

On the cusp of 300,000...
By Dansker1

2004 Chevrolet Malibu LS 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

... pleasurable miles of driving:+)}}} This is my second review on this vehicle, did one in 2014.............just took in for 295,000 check up, all I can say it is amazing. Had oil gasket replaced three months ago for the first time, burns virtually no oil (most driving is highway). Has plenty of pep, but needs new shocks...........my chevy mechanics have asked me if I will sell this vehicle to them, after I am done with it! Minimal replacement of parts, had new ball joints put in a couple of months ago, and brakes, other than that, nothing has gone wrong. As said before, I would buy another in a heart beat..............with 295,000 miles on the odometer the care has a negative value (just don't tell that to the car)...........happy owner, had chevys since I was in high school..........1949 fastback pea green, and paid a whopping $50.00 for it (it ran great for two years, the tranny went) should have kept my 1958 Impala two door, paid $800 for it and today it is worth $80,000, but who knew!

276,000 miles and still runs like a top!
By dansker1

2004 Chevrolet Malibu LS 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

We purchased our Malibu in 2006 from a leasing agency............to say the way this car has lasted is amazing...........just took it in for one of three recalls, and the mechanics were amazed at the milage (276,016) and runs smooth. I burn about a cup of oil every two thousand miles, and just put it on high mileage oil for the first time. Just a couple of items of note, gas gauge no longer works, but use the mileage ap to figure fill up to fill up. Averages 36 on the highway, and 32 in city, and the automatic locking system is finished, but can be opened manually. Everything else works fine............I give it five stars out of five.:+)}}} and I would purchase another one in a heart beat.

Ease of ownership, smooth ride, and aside from a few quirks (but it is ten years old), very satisfied.............interior has a tendency to stain easily, but for some reason, any carpet cleaner will erase any stains...........Handles well, best chevy I have had, and I have had a lot over the years.............1949,'53'57'58'63'72'76'79'88'96'01, and finally '04........happy guy here:+)}}}

The electrical system has had some bugs, but nothing serious, and you learn to work around them as you get to know your auto.........that's it! Hope I have helped someone out there...........have been told that Malibu for '04'05'06 were some of the best autos ever made my chevy..............

Piece of junk!
By tomschevy

2004 Chevrolet Malibu 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 4A)

This car is the worst car i ever owned!so many problems,electrical problems airbag light comes on stays on some days and other days off,filled gas up needle goes crazy! no power steering in hot weather,will not start after long rides,leaking transmission fluid!wth? please do not buy one!and if you have one get rid of it!feels like car is dragging a block of concrete behind it!man worst car ever owned!!

none just my satellite i put in it! its surely coming out when i get rid of the junk!

must improve everything in this junk! rides like you sitting in a go-cart!

Worst car I have owned.
By jay3239

2004 Chevrolet Malibu 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 4A)

This is by far the worst car that I have ever owned. I have had issue after issue with it. Everytime I fix one thing, 2 more things go wrong!