Used 2004 Chevrolet Malibu Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2004 Chevrolet Malibu - Consumer Reviews

2004 Chevrolet Malibu

View reviews for a specific Malibu model:

276,000 miles and still runs like a top!
By dansker1

2004 Chevrolet Malibu LS 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

We purchased our Malibu in 2006 from a leasing agency............to say the way this car has lasted is amazing...........just took it in for one of three recalls, and the mechanics were amazed at the milage (276,016) and runs smooth. I burn about a cup of oil every two thousand miles, and just put it on high mileage oil for the first time. Just a couple of items of note, gas gauge no longer works, but use the mileage ap to figure fill up to fill up. Averages 36 on the highway, and 32 in city, and the automatic locking system is finished, but can be opened manually. Everything else works fine............I give it five stars out of five.:+)}}} and I would purchase another one in a heart beat.

Favorite Features

Ease of ownership, smooth ride, and aside from a few quirks (but it is ten years old), very satisfied.............interior has a tendency to stain easily, but for some reason, any carpet cleaner will erase any stains...........Handles well, best chevy I have had, and I have had a lot over the years.............1949,'53'57'58'63'72'76'79'88'96'01, and finally '04........happy guy here:+)}}}

Suggested Improvements

The electrical system has had some bugs, but nothing serious, and you learn to work around them as you get to know your auto.........that's it! Hope I have helped someone out there...........have been told that Malibu for '04'05'06 were some of the best autos ever made my chevy..............

Piece of junk!
By tomschevy

2004 Chevrolet Malibu 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 4A)

This car is the worst car i ever owned!so many problems,electrical problems airbag light comes on stays on some days and other days off,filled gas up needle goes crazy! no power steering in hot weather,will not start after long rides,leaking transmission fluid!wth? please do not buy one!and if you have one get rid of it!feels like car is dragging a block of concrete behind it!man worst car ever owned!!

Favorite Features

none just my satellite i put in it! its surely coming out when i get rid of the junk!

Suggested Improvements

must improve everything in this junk! rides like you sitting in a go-cart!

Worst car I have owned.
By jay3239

2004 Chevrolet Malibu 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 4A)

This is by far the worst car that I have ever owned. I have had issue after issue with it. Everytime I fix one thing, 2 more things go wrong!

Great car
By sigmachi152

2004 Chevrolet Malibu LS 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

I bought my malibu new back in 2004 and so i've had it for nearly 9 years and has a little over 98K miles on it. I bought it because it was one of the better cars that had great mpg's at the time. Overall it has been a pretty reliable car. I read that several people had to change the light bulbs on it numerous times. This is the only issue i've had with mine as well. I think I have had to replace the same bulb about 6 times in 9 years. Its a random annoyance but beats most other issues you can have with a car. I just replaced the spark plugs this weekend since it is close to 100K....6 iridium plugs and cables cost just under $80.

Favorite Features

23 city and 33-35 on the highway. At nearly 100K routine maintenance is fairly inexpensive.

Suggested Improvements

The first month i had the car both plastic vanity mirror covers broke off in my hand. Not covered under warranty and dealer wanted $75 each to replace them....$75 for a piece of plastic...really?!?!?! Other than that the car has been great. No major issues at all with the car.

Fabric on Doors Peeling/ seat is malfunctioning
By kgwcoffee

2004 Chevrolet Malibu LT 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

I've had my chevy for almost 6 years. The Drivers seat has broken won't sit straight and moves around. This which I feel is dangerous, will cost 1000.00 to fix. CHEVY DOES NOT COVER THIS DEFECT. The panel door trim fabric is peeling off because the glue and fabric has broke down and fabric was cut to small and has shrunk. This will cost 700 for the 2 front and 150 to patch-450 to replace the rear/ chevy does not make anymore by the way. This is a popular model of car. Why do they not make them anymore? Could the glue be defective? CHEVY DOES NOT COVER THIS DEFECT and colision places wont patch they will only replace because the doors are PAPER so odds are any new glue will not stick

Favorite Features

It has been a great car 8 years old and 74,000 miles on it it has had very little problems other than what I've mentioned that you wouldn't expect on any vehicle.

Suggested Improvements

Had to replace fobs because they break when you try to change the battery- although they are very costly to replace and the dealer has to program for extra expense - I called chevy about the problem with the seat and interior the nice customer service person repeated not their problem the car is 8 years old, I fear this will be my last CHEVY.