2004 Chevrolet Malibu - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Malibu model:
Piece of junk!
By tomschevy on 05/21/14 10:40 AM (PDT)

2004 Chevrolet Malibu 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 4A)

This car is the worst car i ever owned!so many problems,electrical problems airbag light comes on stays on some days and other days off,filled gas up needle goes crazy! no power steering in hot weather,will not start after long rides,leaking transmission fluid!wth? please do not buy one!and if you have one get rid of it!feels like car is dragging a block of concrete behind it!man worst car ever owned!!

Worst car I have owned.
By jay3239 on 01/12/13 15:26 PM (PST)

2004 Chevrolet Malibu 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 4A)

This is by far the worst car that I have ever owned. I have had issue after issue with it. Everytime I fix one thing, 2 more things go wrong!

Great car
By sigmachi152 on 11/25/12 07:22 AM (PST)

2004 Chevrolet Malibu LS 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

I bought my malibu new back in 2004 and so i've had it for nearly 9 years and has a little over 98K miles on it. I bought it because it was one of the better cars that had great mpg's at the time. Overall it has been a pretty reliable car. I read that several people had to change the light bulbs on it numerous times. This is the only issue i've had with mine as well. I think I have had to replace the same bulb about 6 times in 9 years. Its a random annoyance but beats most other issues you can have with a car. I just replaced the spark plugs this weekend since it is close to 100K....6 iridium plugs and cables cost just under $80.

Fabric on Doors Peeling/ seat is malfunctioning
By kgwcoffee on 09/11/12 14:37 PM (PDT)

2004 Chevrolet Malibu LT 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

I've had my chevy for almost 6 years. The Drivers seat has broken won't sit straight and moves around. This which I feel is dangerous, will cost 1000.00 to fix. CHEVY DOES NOT COVER THIS DEFECT. The panel door trim fabric is peeling off because the glue and fabric has broke down and fabric was cut to small and has shrunk. This will cost 700 for the 2 front and 150 to patch-450 to replace the rear/ chevy does not make anymore by the way. This is a popular model of car. Why do they not make them anymore? Could the glue be defective? CHEVY DOES NOT COVER THIS DEFECT and colision places wont patch they will only replace because the doors are PAPER so odds are any new glue will not stick

Great Car that saves Money!
By bl45 on 01/15/11 14:51 PM (PST)

2004 Chevrolet Malibu 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 4A)

I am proud that my car continues to run beyond 120,000 miles with no critical repairs necessary. It consistently gets 32 MPG and saves money compared to most domestic sedans. The interior features are practical and easy to use. I would recommend this vehicle to anyone!

i still love my car but..........
By Won't buy another on 09/16/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2004 Chevrolet Malibu LS 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

Electrical system had a gremlin in it, idiot lights went off for no reason. Occasionally the radio turns on inside the car while you unlock the doors without engine running. Hood latch replaced, auto start wouldn't work, trunk latch replaced, inside trunk button stopped working, trunk lock stuck so you can't open the trunk any of the 3 ways. Service couldn't fix. On my 2nd key fob now and the door unlock doesn't work so thats 2 out of 4 buttons that are useless. Fob is junk drop it a few times and the battery clip inside breaks off. In tank gas gauge is broken. Fill the tank, dash gauge say empty, gas tank low, dash gauge says full. Stirring column replaced. Dealer says it needs it again. Horn shorted

6 Year Review
By Spud90 on 05/03/10 13:45 PM (PDT)

2004 Chevrolet Malibu LT 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

I recorded my review in 11/24/2003 when I owned the car for 1 month. In the last 6 years I have put only 32,000 miles on. I have read the other reviews and am drawn to the poor ratings. With the exception of the steering column (first year of electric power), I have had no major problems with the car. I just replaced the original tires at 30,000 miles, had an alignment done, and it runs like it is new again. I agree with other posts that it tends to eat an unusual amount of turn signal lights, which is a minor annoyance because it takes time to replace them. Otherwise, I am still impressed with the quiet ride, the power, and the highway gas mileage (34-35 mpg with the cruise set at 75+).

Last American Car
By Neveragain on 03/23/10 09:28 AM (PDT)

2004 Chevrolet Malibu LT 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

Bought this car new. Gas cap pressure seal has broke twice. At 300 miles and at 36001 miles (dealer wouldn’t cover second….1 mile over ) Stock tires went off at only 15000 miles Blows turn signal bulbs a lot (24 in 7 years) Rear caliper broke (left hand side) 20, 000 miles Left hand ball joint (can’t replace just ball joint have to replace lower control arm) 40,000 miles Lots of bugs, turned on car with remote start……radio came on, has never done it again. Remote start used to start at 100 yards, today it won’t at 10 feet…..battery changed in remote….still 10 feet Remote broke three times (poorly made) Passenger seat heater…..comes on by it’s self Gas mileage used to be 32 highway,

Cute, but glad I got the warranty
By TheGirlWithTheMalibu on 01/02/10 18:17 PM (PST)

2004 Chevrolet Malibu LS 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

I researched for about two months before purchasing my 2004 Chevy Malibu. I found the Malibu to be the best fit for me, a traveling college bound student. The car its self handles very well and I always have fun driving it. The fuel economy isn't the greatest, at 23 mpg, but not worth complaining about. Shortly after I bought it, I realized the windshield wiper fluid didn't work when the button was pushed and the seat didn't work. I'm having issues with it starting slowly. Although I'm not sure if this is do to the car, or the Cleveland cold weather. My sister got stuck in the passenger side because the door wouldn't open from the inside. Great car, but I'm glad I got the warranty.

Malibu
By chucked on 07/10/09 16:09 PM (PDT)

2004 Chevrolet Malibu LS 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

Bought the car new in 2004, and have had very little trouble with it. Around 22,000 miles, i had to replace the brakes, tires, and Chevy took care of the tie rod ends (good on them, as it was abought 2 months out of warranty). Other than that, no real issues. Sometimes the alternator light comes on when I accelerate hard, but only for a second or two. Gas mileage is great, I put a K&N air filter in it and get regularly 35+ mpg on the highway, better than most 4 cylinders I have driven.